User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a NTP and in a relationship?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a male NTP and in a 20+ year relationship

0 0%
  • I am a male NTP and not in a 20+ year relationship

2 25.00%
  • I am a female NTP and in a 20+ year relationship

1 12.50%
  • I am a female NTP and not in a 20+ year relationship

0 0%
  • Someone said there'd be hookers and blow?!

5 62.50%
12 Last

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Default NTP's and long LASTING relationships

The few real life NTP's I've known, 5 approx., have all had issues with long lasting relationships. Question, are you a NTP in a long lasting relationship? Long = 20 years+

I'm pretty curious about this as I've personally known a few INTP chicks (online, in a different community) that have a low boredom threshold but whom I found "appealing". If I had the data I'd like to look into being able to answer the following questions:

Question 1: What is your "opinion" on the likelihood of this being 'type' related.

Question 2: Any correlation to gender?

Question 3: Find out the avg. happiness rating

P.S. After considering the low sample size I am likely to find given the community demographics I'd like to know if anyone would like to share anecdotal stories about any/all NTP's they've known, i.e. parents, siblings, aunts/uncles etc., who meet the criteria of 20+ years in the same relationship.
    Last edited by SpankyMcFly; 12-14-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: I added the P.S.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Too young to have been in a relationship that long. Maybe you should've said 2+ years. That said, I have no plans to sleep around or play the field. I just want to find one good woman, then call it done.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've been married to an INTP for 21 years. He appears to be in it for the duration, as am I.

I'm not sure how much of the duration of our relationship is related to his type.
    It's not impossible that it's easier for a male NT to stay in a LTR than for a female due to societal gender expectations.
    You can't read another person's mind no matter how well you know them or how much you love them, but my INTP seems at least contented with our relationship. I consider our relationship happy. I love him very much and enjoy his company the vast majority of the time.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've been married to an INTP for 21 years. He appears to be in it for the duration, as am I.

I'm not sure how much of the duration of our relationship is related to his type.
    It's not impossible that it's easier for a male NT to stay in a LTR than for a female due to societal gender expectations.
    You can't read another person's mind no matter how well you know them or how much you love them, but my INTP seems at least contented with our relationship. I consider our relationship happy. I love him very much and enjoy his company the vast majority of the time.
    Thanks for sharing @cafe I agree with your assessment about the male NT fitting societal expectations of "maleness" and consequently being a factor.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

In my experience, INTP is one of the most loyal and committed types. (Once committed.)

MBTI
    INTP

I've never ended it with a partner, ever, though 8 years is the longest I've been with someone before getting dumped. Before that it was a 6 year relationship. Before that a 2 year one (but that was high school).

Most of the time women get fed up with wanting "more" out of me than I'm willing to give, and finally hit the road...but commitment on my end is never wanting.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    I've never ended it with a partner, ever, though 8 years is the longest I've been with someone before getting dumped. Before that it was a 6 year relationship. Before that a 2 year one (but that was high school).

Most of the time women get fed up with wanting "more" out of me than I'm willing to give, and finally hit the road...but commitment on my end is never wanting.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I dont really think that it is a measurement of quality being 20+ yrs in a relationship, you can feel alone like a single in even such a relationship. Plus one could say that people being in a long relationships are just too lazy to go hunting and rather settle for comfort and security than a life of challenge.

On the other hand tho, being a flighty typus who is just in it for the initial challenge and after having made the kill, bails out is no proof of character aswell. Thats more a guy with low self-esteem who needs to push his ego via his accomplishments.

I have been to both worlds with the longest relationship lasting 10 years. I must say the wisdom I took from it, ranges from relationships are like health problems to relationships help you grow. The problem for me is, as likely it may be that enthusiasm switches from one to another person in a day, as likely it is that enthusiasm changes myself so much that I merge with my partner leaving all my own intrests and my self behind. When a relationship ends then, its like loosing your legs changing your life in such a drastical way, you wont recognize yourself no more.

Nowadays I am 30 and quite cured from relationships and woman. They are work and limit your freedom a lot and all you get is a little cuddling in the evening and sex you dont have to pay for.

I dunno, I am convinced a man can live perfectly without a woman and still get everything he needs until old age.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I'm about to be divorced after 21 years. That was never the plan when we got married, and I take my commitments very very seriously; this is more because of a dealbreaker that we couldn't find a way around, and neither one of us could have been content / had a deep relationship the way things were.

I think through all of my commitments and tend to be pretty wary. I haven't dated very many people, and anyone I actually considered an SO is someone I was very serious about. So if I actually do something like live with you, then I'm really serious, and there would have to be some really large, unfixable reason for me to bail. I like to live with coherency, and I like to think everything through ahead of time, so if I make a commitment, it's pretty rock-solid. I also don't usually waste time being in a relationship if I know it will only last a few months anyway, I am more interested in long-term in general.

That being said, after being in my last relationship, I am more aware of what things I can live with and what things I cannot, and I don't see the point in wasting time and energy in doing something unworkable. Now that I have had experience, if something becomes evident in the relationship that is going to make one or both of us miserable, I don't see the point in prolonging the inevitable. I don't think the ending of a relationship is the worst evil; I think one or both people being in a destructive relationship is worse in the long run.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That being said, after being in my last relationship, I am more aware of what things I can live with and what things I cannot, and I don't see the point in wasting time and energy in doing something unworkable. Now that I have had experience, if something becomes evident in the relationship that is going to make one or both of us miserable, I don't see the point in prolonging the inevitable. I don't think the ending of a relationship is the worst evil; I think one or both people being in a destructive relationship is worse in the long run.
    Huh, I didn't know you were getting divorced. If you ever need to talk, you know where I am.

What you said rang true with my reasoning on things too. Once you figure out what you can live with and what you can't, what will never get better, things become so much clearer. My problem has always been loyalty (taking my responsibilities seriously) and the extreme ability to adapt to almost anything. It's harder to find your boundaries when they combine. Foresight helps. Having faith in the ability to see the logical conclusion of where a problem will take you.

If it's inevitable that it won't work, best to cut losses (and end the pain sooner) than stick around, drawing it out, wasting time that could be spent finding a closer match.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery