User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a NTP and in a relationship?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a male NTP and in a 20+ year relationship

0 0%
  • I am a male NTP and not in a 20+ year relationship

2 25.00%
  • I am a female NTP and in a 20+ year relationship

1 12.50%
  • I am a female NTP and not in a 20+ year relationship

0 0%
  • Someone said there'd be hookers and blow?!

5 62.50%
First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

My bf's dad is an intp who's been with his mom since they were like 16 or something.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I dont really think that it is a measurement of quality being 20+ yrs in a relationship, you can feel alone like a single in even such a relationship. Plus one could say that people being in a long relationships are just too lazy to go hunting and rather settle for comfort and security than a life of challenge.

On the other hand tho, being a flighty typus who is just in it for the initial challenge and after having made the kill, bails out is no proof of character aswell. Thats more a guy with low self-esteem who needs to push his ego via his accomplishments.

I have been to both worlds with the longest relationship lasting 10 years. I must say the wisdom I took from it, ranges from relationships are like health problems to relationships help you grow. The problem for me is, as likely it may be that enthusiasm switches from one to another person in a day, as likely it is that enthusiasm changes myself so much that I merge with my partner leaving all my own intrests and my self behind. When a relationship ends then, its like loosing your legs changing your life in such a drastical way, you wont recognize yourself no more.

Nowadays I am 30 and quite cured from relationships and woman. They are work and limit your freedom a lot and all you get is a little cuddling in the evening and sex you dont have to pay for.

I dunno, I am convinced a man can live perfectly without a woman and still get everything he needs until old age.
    Thanks for sharing @entropie I appreciate you taking the time to not only answer but to expand upon related relationship concepts.

For the record I am not implying:

1) a relationship is required for happiness
    2) 20 years is the magic number (I think of this number like a baseline)
    3) NTPs are committment phobes

This inquiry is mostly an exercise in curiosity and an attempt to understand a pattern I am seeing in the "wild" hehe

P.S. I am ending my 2nd marriage myself and I'm hardly the one to judge, be it "type" related or not
    Last edited by SpankyMcFly; 12-15-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added the P.S.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I'm about to be divorced after 21 years. That was never the plan when we got married, and I take my commitments very very seriously; this is more because of a dealbreaker that we couldn't find a way around, and neither one of us could have been content / had a deep relationship the way things were.

I think through all of my commitments and tend to be pretty wary. I haven't dated very many people, and anyone I actually considered an SO is someone I was very serious about. So if I actually do something like live with you, then I'm really serious, and there would have to be some really large, unfixable reason for me to bail. I like to live with coherency, and I like to think everything through ahead of time, so if I make a commitment, it's pretty rock-solid. I also don't usually waste time being in a relationship if I know it will only last a few months anyway, I am more interested in long-term in general.

That being said, after being in my last relationship, I am more aware of what things I can live with and what things I cannot, and I don't see the point in wasting time and energy in doing something unworkable. Now that I have had experience, if something becomes evident in the relationship that is going to make one or both of us miserable, I don't see the point in prolonging the inevitable. I don't think the ending of a relationship is the worst evil; I think one or both people being in a destructive relationship is worse in the long run.
    Hello @Jennifer, I hope things work out for you and "it" ends well. Your post resonated with me as I share similar perspectives. I'd say it's highly age/experience related. We learn to overlook the little/stupid shit and distill things down to the nitty gritty when it comes to mate selection.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't think any type has an easy time getting through 20+ years of marriage. It's not a natural state.

NTPs, being a small amount of the population, AFAIK, would be about or slightly higher than average.