User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Conspiracy theories, to me, most often seem as just another handy diversion in favor of those who rob the world in broad daylight (multinational CEOs, druglords, dictators, politicians, bankers, stock traders, thiefs, the mob, ...).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Well- I believe many of the theories are true or have rings of truth. But I think some "conspiracy theorists" also take things too far and then make people not believe ANY of them because they get so damn nuts about it. And yeah- we are being lied to MORE than we are being told the truth.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INTp

I think you need to clearly define conspiracy.

I don't think the notion that corporations seek to maximize their profit and will lie/mislead/deceive to do so is really a "conspiracy". It's just what they do. It's like saying the sun is conspiring to shine.

I think the key to what are popularly know as "conspiracy theories" is attributing motivations to a person/persons that don't exist. So goofy notions like the illuminati are conspiring to bring about some new world order (why they would want a new world order I don't know, I think the party line is to pave the way for the anti-christ or some such silliness). Or those ones about aliens visiting in secret with shadowy government co-conspirators. Those ones are irrational.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    I think you need to clearly define conspiracy.

I don't think the notion that corporations seek to maximize their profit and will lie/mislead/deceive to do so is really a "conspiracy". It's just what they do. It's like saying the sun is conspiring to shine.

I think the key to what are popularly know as "conspiracy theories" is attributing motivations to a person/persons that don't exist. So goofy notions like the illuminati are conspiring to bring about some new world order (why they would want a new world order I don't know, I think the party line is to pave the way for the anti-christ or some such silliness). Or those ones about aliens visiting in secret with shadowy government co-conspirators. Those ones are irrational.
    They are merely blown out of proportion, much like your avatar. Paranoid people start following the fake trails generated by dark side illusions and conceive the crazy places they lead towards to be reality. Things like hyper-dimensional aliens and such may indeed be somewhere, but could be more monitors and guides, along with some that direct people onto the wrong paths.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    EIE

Even though there's a "rational" grouping in MBTI, I think all personality types have a different way we reason. I think a book title that sums this up is "I'm not crazy, I'm just not you." Also, some people latch onto conspiracy theories as a way to pin blame. So, if their subconscious logic tells them that they should pin blame, then it makes sense.

MBTI
    INFJ

#1 problem with conspiracy theories: they usually point to the explanation of a pattern of events (and, occasionally, even the pattern is imaginary/misperceived), that is statistically unlikely to be the case, compared against other possible explanations.

Now, occasionally, the least likely explanation happens to be true. BUT, because of how statistics works, this happens exceedingly rarely. It is overwhelmingly likely that, in a majority of cases, conspiracy theories are pure bullshit.

Therefore, when you believe conspiracy theories (especially when this is a habitual thing), especially multiple ones, people tend to think you are unable to exercise good judgment, and they are correct in that respect.

Furthermore, there happens to be a serious mental illness as well as a personality disorder that, as a symptom, make this type of bad/careless/uncritical thinking very prominent in their sufferers. So, the more your thinking aligns with this symptom the more reasonable it is for people around you to at least suspect that you might suffer from said mental illness or personality disorder.
    Last edited by two cents; 12-14-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

Well, there aren't that many conspiracy theories, so you can't say their reasoning is false because they are unlikely. Also, some conspiracy theories were more true in the beginning, and perhaps it was part of a strategy to cover them up and to discredit those that "blew the whistle" to exaggerate things until they were ridiculous. Getting crazy people to rant like lunatics about a conspiracy and framing people who know (or bring up the conspiracy) as being insane could also be part of the attempt to cover things up. People evil enough to do things like these conspiracies state lie a lot, and go to great lengths to cover up their bullshit. As a matter of fact, that's probably all they do, considering their life is defined by lies, bullshit, and failure after failure.

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    Well- I believe many of the theories are true or have rings of truth. But I think some "conspiracy theorists" also take things too far and then make people not believe ANY of them because they get so damn nuts about it. And yeah- we are being lied to MORE than we are being told the truth.
    I agree! I'm not going to live in my mother's basement and research conspiracy theories every day. There is a website that I read every once in a while. I just find conspiracy theories very intriguing. People don't always tell the truth. People don't always do what people expect. Those who completely dismiss conspiracy theories are just extremely close minded and unopened to the limitless possibilities in this world. It's interesting when people analyze music videos, TV shows, and movies for esoteric symbols. I wouldn't devote my life to this kind of analysis but what people find is cool. I think -- like with anything else -- there is a balance that needs to be found. You can acknowledge the possibility of this or that happening but don't become a paranoid conspiracy theorist with the mad scientist Afro and involuntary twitches and always look behind your shoulder.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rogue350 View Post
    I'm very open to most ideas and will contemplate the validity and possible "reality" of what anyone says. I'm never really shocked by peoples' ideas and theories so I keep my mind open and consider the endless possibilities. I don't know who caused Sandy Hooke. I don't know who caused 9/11. I don't think everything on the news is true and we can never be sure what the govn't is hiding. I'm not really paranoid or suspicious of everything but I am open to the possibility that anything could happen. There are some people who think that conspiracy theories are completely out there and anyone who even considers them are crazy and mentally ill. AM I CRAZY AND MENTALLY ILL?
    Conspiracy theories are generally not irrational, in themselves. If you keep them as a possibility rather than an unfounded belief then there's no trouble at all.

Not trusting governments is perfectly reasonable, given the available evidence. I can't think of a single honest government.

To some point, they are to the other they are not... They are always based on some real facts, but the way they present them is manipulative and nonobjective. They give you just one side of view...It's funny because conspiracy theories try to convince you, they are less manipulative and more objective, than the facts that are presented in mainstream medias, but they do the exact opposite. I think the true is always somewhere in between...