User Tag List

First 12345 Last

WhoCares

I spent most of my classroom hours reading fantasy novels then scanning books on my own to pass the tests. I like to see the end result first then go back and pick up the nuts and bolts that makes it work. I don't need laboured explanations in sequential order, when I encounter that I go daydreaming until they get to the end bit then tune back in. So yeah I guess I am visual/spatial. I hate being 'taught'.

The most enjoyable course I've ever done was a practical arts course where a technique was demonstrated then we were set loose to tinker on our own and come up with the end result. Loved that style of learning.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I spent most of my classroom hours reading fantasy novels then scanning books on my own to pass the tests. I like to see the end result first then go back and pick up the nuts and bolts that makes it work. I don't need laboured explanations in sequential order, when I encounter that I go daydreaming until they get to the end bit then tune back in. So yeah I guess I am visual/spatial. I hate being 'taught'.

The most enjoyable course I've ever done was a practical arts course where a technique was demonstrated then we were set loose to tinker on our own and come up with the end result. Loved that style of learning.
    Hmmm, sound vaguely familiar, why I did well in technical drawings. As you said, I want the end picture first, and then I will drill down.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post

Same with me except I either read the dictionary or history books. My teachers did not care because it didn't affect my grades and they always liked me. Hehe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    So in other words, you are almost completely lost in a college course until you get to the end, in which time you start making A's? How does that work?
    You are dealing in the wrong units. A single university course will cover multiple concepts, and the process I outlined will apply to each one. I will attend lecture, read the chapter, read over my class notes, perhaps work though some problem sets. I might even be successful at the homework, but this will be using what I consider dumb, brute force techniques: follow the recipes in the book, get someone to explain how they do it. Then something will cause me to just "get it". Perhaps revisiting an earlier problem, or just looking at one with fresh eyes, or reading a different explanation. The sum total of what I have seen (I can't say "absorbed" yet) will come together, and then I will be explaining it to other people. That being said, the first thing I used to do when starting a new class is to read the syllabus end to end; and upon getting a new textbook, scanning the table of contents. Having that context makes me much more comfortable.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are dealing in the wrong units. A single university course will cover multiple concepts, and the process I outlined will apply to each one. I will attend lecture, read the chapter, read over my class notes, perhaps work though some problem sets. I might even be successful at the homework, but this will be using what I consider dumb, brute force techniques: follow the recipes in the book, get someone to explain how they do it. Then something will cause me to just "get it". Perhaps revisiting an earlier problem, or just looking at one with fresh eyes, or reading a different explanation. The sum total of what I have seen (I can't say "absorbed" yet) will come together, and then I will be explaining it to other people. That being said, the first thing I used to do when starting a new class is to read the syllabus end to end; and upon getting a new textbook, scanning the table of contents. Having that context makes me much more comfortable.
    That happened to me when I studied accounting. Almost the whole year I got bad grades and then suddenly I got it. Even the teacher was amazed, thinking there was no hope left for me.
    I think it had something to do with that end goal, I want to know what the end goal is. To justify why I am learning it. Where as the sequential guys would form their own opinion. I want to know what the end result is first before I start off.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a CPA and I swear I didn't really understand accounting until after I started studying for the CPA exam, AFTER college. The way it's taught in school is broken down by subjects. At least my professors didn't link how each class relates to each other. I did what I needed to do to pass and get decent grades, but once they put all the pricincples in one book, I learned those, and brought them down to the individual topics. I Aced that test.

MBTI
    INTJ

AUDITORY-SEQUENTIAL------------------------------------VISUAL-SPATIAL
    •Thinks primarily in words ------------------------------- Thinks primarily in pictures
    •Has auditory strengths ---------------------------------Has visual strengths
    •Relates well to time ------------------------------------Relates well to space
    •Is a step-by-step learner ------------------------------ Is a whole-part learner
    •Learns by trial and error---------------------------------Learns concepts all at once
    •Progresses sequentially from easy to difficult material-----Learns complex concepts easily; struggles with easy skills
    •Is an analytical thinker--------------------------------- Is a good synthesizer
    •Attends well to details----------------------------------Sees the big picture; may miss details
    •Follows oral directions well------------------------------Reads maps well
    •Does well at arithmetic----------------------------------Is better at math reasoning than computation
    •Learns phonics easily------------------------------------Learns whole words easily
    •Can sound out spelling words----------------------------Must visualize words to spell them
    •Can write quickly and neatly ----------------------------Prefers keyboarding to writing
    •Is well-organized--------------------------------------- Creates unique methods of organization
    •Can show steps of work easily---------------------------Arrives at correct solutions intuitively
    •Excels at rote memorization----------------------------- Learns best by seeing relationships
    •Has good auditory short-term memory------------------- Has good long-term visual memory
    [B]•May need some repetition to reinforce learning[B]----------- Learns concepts permanently; is turned off by drill and repetition
    •Learns well from instruction----------------------------- Develops own methods of problem solving
    •Learns in spite of emotional reactions------------------- Is very sensitive to teachers’ attitudes
    Is comfortable with one right answer--------------------Generates unusual solutions to problems
    •Develops fairly evenly---------------------------------- Develops quite asynchronously
    •Usually maintains high grades ---------------------------May have very uneven grades
    •Enjoys algebra and chemistry--------------------------- Enjoys geometry and physics
    •Learns languages in class-------------------------------Masters other languages through immersion
    •Is academically talented--------------------------------Is creatively, mechanically, emotionally, or technologically gifted
    •Is an early bloomer-------------------------------------Is a late bloomer

One of my old bosses would laugh at me whenever I recollected. In my mind, I made patterns & maps to understand our process and transaction flows. Whenever discussing them, I'd look up and point to where we were in the process....I thought it was normal.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Same with me except I either read the dictionary or history books. My teachers did not care because it didn't affect my grades and they always liked me. Hehe.
    lol, you read the dictionary in class, too? Anyway, thread applies to me, too, and I commend OP for putting it more concisely than I ever can.

Teachers who liked me were the ones who realized that lectures did nothing for me. In college, I just stopped going to them when it was an option, to no negative effect. In the event that learning it my own way outside of lecture doesn't work, going through the concept one-on-one with somebody is magic.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Okay so that makes sense. How fast do you generally catch onto these concepts? Is it slow or fast?

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    That happened to me when I studied accounting. Almost the whole year I got bad grades and then suddenly I got it. Even the teacher was amazed, thinking there was no hope left for me.
    I think it had something to do with that end goal, I want to know what the end goal is. To justify why I am learning it. Where as the sequential guys would form their own opinion. I want to know what the end result is first before I start off.
    lol, that's crazy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I get life shattering "aha" moments all the time, but then I suddenly realize I don't give a shit anymore.

/estp problems