User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 137

  1. #1

    Default Politically Correct

    Do you all concern yourselves with being politically correct? I wonder if feelers are more concerned with being politically correct. I think people need to be offended every once in a while and changing every word I say to not offend people is a pain. I don't think it is that big of a deal. Thoughts and opinions?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I see political correctness as condescending, a waste of time, and most of all, a waste of brain power. Who honestly wants to watch how they say things when they're trying to get their thoughts across? And there's nothing worse than saying "You people" and someone out there takes it out of context.

    I think it's exactly an SFJ thing to be politically correct, because the nature of it seems very safety- and niceness-oriented. Safety because being politically incorrect upsets the order of things, and niceness because they're trying to make everyone happy. Good luck with that.

  3. #3
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,058

    Default

    Mostly, it makes me think of Michael Scott. I used to concern myself with it, I don't do so any longer.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  4. #4
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    "Political correctness" is a distasteful term to me. I don't like sugarcoating for the sake of it. That term inspires thoughts of red tape and uninformed bureaucracy, too - like being officially "correct" but not successfully achieving anything.

    I do try to be conscientious of how my communication impacts other people. While there is some value to shock, people are also affected by confirmation bias, and sometimes a few minor tweaks in wording can get a message through successfully where it wouldn't get through otherwise. Generally the more "distance" between myself and another, be that culture, age, gender, or any other factor, the more I try to be aware that there may be gaps in the way we communicate. I don't consider rewording my thoughts a personal responsibility, though, not any further than trying to be conscientious of others.

    On the subject of NTs, my INTP father is surprisingly affected by communication at times. He gets upset if I curse because he "doesn't want [his] daughter to talk like that". He struggled to understand why I winced when he called our cat "pussy" but got extremely offended by me using the word "fuck", because apparently it used to be extremely offensive. I found this curious. I try to respect it around him.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™
    Who honestly wants to watch how they say things when they're trying to get their thoughts across?
    Well, I feel like I choose all of my words, all the time. No exact set of external words ever corresponds perfectly to my internal cognition. To me it seems like a balance of choosing the most precise and most effective wording possible. Language is a two-way street... if the word I'm using doesn't mean the same thing to me as it does to someone else, then my idea isn't being conveyed as accurately as possible. So to me it's a matter of idea integrity as well.

  5. #5
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I do try to be conscientious of how my communication impacts other people. While there is some value to shock, people are also affected by confirmation bias, and sometimes a few minor tweaks in wording can get a message through successfully where it wouldn't get through otherwise.
    I agree with this part, but this is also part of what bothers me. It's purely a surface gesture... it seems to care little for ideas, and cares only for the specific words or phrases that are used. It also seems to be popular as a way of kind of helping people to feel better about the parts of themselves they don't like. This manifests itself in the odd inconsistencies people always display with political correctness. A lot of people who are really into political correctness do not seem to be as close to being the bastion of tolerance that they would like themselves to be.

    It seems to be more about helping people feel better about themselves and their sense of morality than it is about actually changing anything. And this becomes an issue when they become livid that I'm not all that interested in participating. I think everyone's a little bit racist, and sometimes it seems that the people who are more "politically correct" are more so, because it is repressed. I just end up seeing the racism come out in other ways, even if those ways fly under the radar, because they aren't using bad words.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  6. #6
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I agree with this part, but this is also part of what bothers me. It's purely a surface gesture... it seems to care little for ideas, and cares only for the specific words or phrases that are used. It also seems to be popular as a way of kind of helping people to feel better about the parts of themselves they don't like. This manifests itself in the odd inconsistencies people always display with political correctness. A lot of people who are really into political correctness do not seem to be as close to being the bastion of tolerance that they would like themselves to be.

    It seems to be more about helping people feel better about themselves and their sense of morality than it is about actually changing anything.
    Yes, I agree with you here, and I think this is where the idea of "political correctness" and bureaucracy comes in versus simply being aware with your speech. It's the idea of surface treatment versus genuine communication. I too dislike the idea of skating over the top of actual issues. Pretending like a wound isn't there, or covering it up with a patch-fix when it needs to be gutted and cleaned just lets it fester and get worse.

    A lot of times it seems like situations that emphasize political correctness are covering something up. My university administration did it with racial inclusion... I had a friend who was very into racial inclusion and he led a protest movement emphasizing how radically white our university was compared with surrounding similar institutions and the surrounding area. He made the case that the university didn't make much of an effort to reach out to minority populations in the community, and instead reached out to white groups much further away. They effectively told him he was making a racket and shut his project down based on claims of inappropriate language.

    I don't think we should have forbidden words or forbidden ideas, but I do think it's preferable to consciously choose how one uses their words and to try to be aware of how others will interpret them so that one can most accurately match the message to the intention, whether that be to harmonize and soothe or to shock or expose, or simply lay out an idea in neutrality. I have a suspicion that Ts in general prefer and tend to interpret in neutrality, while Fs both read and utilize more emotion in communication.

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2
    I just end up seeing the racism come out in other ways, even if those ways fly under the radar, because they aren't using bad words.
    Yeah. Things always come out in one way or another.

  7. #7

    Default

    Does it bother a mail lady if she is called the mailman? Does it bother women that the Bible addresses humankind as man? If I was a nurse I wouldn't care if people called me a "male nurse" because that is what I am and it's just more specific. I understand being "politically correct" if it makes you more specific but I wouldn't change my words in order to please someone. I don't think people should use racial slurs unless they're being funny. My problem is that I find a lot of stereotypes and racial slurs funny. I have my limits and restraints though.

    In addition, people use euphemisms like "passed away" rather than "was murdered" or "died". I think people should just use the darn word! No need to beat around the bush and sugar coat things. I don't really care.

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue350 View Post
    Does it bother a mail lady if she is called the mailman? Does it bother women that the Bible addresses humankind as man? If I was a nurse I wouldn't care if people called me a "male nurse" because that is what I am and it's just more specific. I understand being "politically correct" if it makes you more specific but I wouldn't change my words in order to please someone. I don't think people should use racial slurs unless they're being funny. My problem is that I find a lot of stereotypes and racial slurs funny. I have my limits and restraints though.

    In addition, people use euphemisms like "passed away" rather than "was murdered" or "died". I think people should just use the darn word! No need to beat around the bush and sugar coat things. I don't really care.
    And let's not forget about labeling blind people as visually challenged or specially abled. (1) There is no challenge about it, their eyes are broken. (2) There is no special ability that comes from being blind, unless you're Daredevil. And finally, blind people are not disabled (or differently abled), their eyes are -- that means they're blind. Wouldn't you rather be called blind than disabled?

    And then there's, of course, "Happy Holidays." Take a stand. If you don't celebrate holidays, then the proper greeting is "Bah Humbug."

  9. #9
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    And let's not forget about labeling blind people as visually challenged or specially abled. (1) There is no challenge about it, their eyes are broken. (2) There is no special ability that comes from being blind, unless you're Daredevil. And finally, blind people are not disabled (or differently abled), their eyes are -- that means they're blind. Wouldn't you rather be called blind than disabled?
    ."
    Yes. Who the hell wants to be disabled?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  10. #10
    Senior Member Hypatia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Political correctness makes thinkers feel bad.

Similar Threads

  1. questioning political correctness
    By Typh0n in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
  2. Political Correctness
    By silversun in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
  3. Political Correctness
    By Cenomite in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 07:11 AM
  4. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO