• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Politically Correct

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know a couple, and they don't. Sometimes the more mature ones realize they might have given offense, and can be charitable enough to qualify their statement or even apologise, but they almost cannot pussyfoot when they first open their mouths.

I don't advocate censorship, although if I think someone is being idiotic, I guess I'm another INTP that will engage in shaming. Partly because I think that if this place is too welcoming of certain opinions, it will become a haven for them like Reddit, although I do not think bans are the solution. That could just be because of the expansion of Reddit, though.

I do find that the bar sometimes gets raised too high with political correctness, though. Often, something gets called misogynistic / racist, and no one can really explain to me why that label applies in this example when it doesn't apply to a hundred other similar examples. For instance, "TV Show is racist for not having enough minorities, I'm in the group that TV Show is about, and I have lots of minority friends." But.... Similar TV Show had the same thing, and nobody complained about that. Anyway, if they did have a minority actor in the main cast, wouldn't that be tokenism, which is also bad? It makes no sense to me, and just gets used against things or people that aren't liked for reasons that have nothing to do with political correctness. Also, I think some people want to feel important and socially responsible without really having to do that much... hence, they spend a lot of time criticizing a show on premium cable.

In conclusion, I think being mindful of self-expression is important to a degree, but I think it has begun to be taken too far by people who just have an axe to grind in general.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I don't view things in the term of politically correct or not when I'm communicating with people. It's more about respect and dignity. I can definitely see how people get offended when others use racial slurs in a belligerent context or just out of plain dismissiveness and scorn , since it's respectless and hostile. What people view as "Political correctness" is bad in that it doesn't allow people to express their opinions, it masks their opinions to avoid conflict. I'd rather live in an enviroment where everyones opinions and intentions are transparent.

The tendency of "Political correctness" probably comes from a forced, insincere and misguided attempt by majority demographs to reconcile differences with minorities. It just seems fake and forced to me. Instead of tip-toeing over others feelings, say what you have to say and face up to the consquences.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone using the moniker of a war criminal / mass murderer informs us that he doesn't care about being seen as PC.
Thx for clearing that one up.
Comedy gold.

Which leads seamlessly to:
"[Political correctness] is an often clumsy negotiation towards a formally inclusive language. There's all sorts of problems with it. But it's better than what we had before."
Yep. Pretty much.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you all concern yourselves with being politically correct?

Hell no.

However, I do put a lot of effort into being:
(1) Professional
(2) Polite
(3) Stating things clearly

That's simply how I am.
I appreciate it when others interact with me as such, and so I project that - and it turns out that most people reciprocate how others treat them.
Treat others as you wish to be treated...

I wonder if feelers are more concerned with being politically correct.

I honestly don't think so. Many of my friends are feelers and they are no more concerned about political correctness that I am.

I think people need to be offended every once in a while and changing every word I say to not offend people is a pain. I don't think it is that big of a deal.

I don't know that people need to be offended every once in awhile, that seems unnecessarily rude.
Are you saying that you hate "walking on eggshells"? As in having to put too much effort into not offending someone who is perhaps "overly sensitive?"
If so, yeah I agree with you - that's a waste of time and effort.

Thoughts and opinions?

Noted above.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Misconception with how Fe/Ti works, and what offends it. It's not specific language, but the circumstantial intent behind it (insults vs political correctness, I believe it was you who pointed out the distinction)-- whereas with Te/Fi types, contextual intent is seldom gauged, and it's always simply the literal language, and the universal validity of statements (independent of context), which are measured-- another side effect of this aspect is an irrational irritation with spelling errors, which you're no doubt familiar. Fe/Ti types typically jump straight to what people intended to spell, and they generally don't even notice the error.

For instance, many aspects of political correctness are about neutralizing gender. "Server" instead of "waitress and waiter," and "person" instead of "man and woman." And gender sensitivity is dominantly the realm of the introverted feeler. Extroverted feelers almost get off on those kinds of inherent contrasts.
There is a big difference between using gender-neutral words and avoiding terms like kike or nigger. Gender-neutral words simplify being factually correct, since servers, police officers, and hosts of other roles that used to be men-only are now filled by both men and women. I can think of no situations in which accuracy is compromised by calling someone a Kike rather than a Jew, unless one is directly quoting a bigot.

You are right that Te does not care about intent, and looks mainly at the factual content of the word. This is why it has no patience with political correctness, just factual accuracy. I don't remember explaining a distinction between insults and political correctness. If anything, I think political correctness can easily run amok into people seeing insults behind every bush; meaning they readily assign ill intent to people who are simply ignorant of the current preferences for terminology. Otherwise, they would simply explain their preference, like [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]'s friend did.

Words themselves cannot give offense. The offense comes from the negative thoughts and experiences people come to associate with them. Just look at the many ways we have referred to people of African descent over the last century. We still have the NAACP and United Negro College Fund, established at a time when Colored and Negro were considered acceptable, two terms no longer in favor.

Insults are an interesting type of speech. People want in the abstract to define an insult by the intent behind it, but people who feel insulted will define an insult by how they perceive it. You can try to insult me but fail, either because I don't find the comment insulting, or I just cannot take it personally. Similarly, lots of people feel insulted by comments that are very well and kindly meant. This is why I prefer to focus on the actual content of the statement.

However, I do put a lot of effort into being:
(1) Professional
(2) Polite
(3) Stating things clearly
If you make a point to do these things, the rest generally takes care of itself.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Someone using the moniker of a war criminal / mass murderer informs us that he doesn't care about being seen as PC.
Thx for clearing that one up.
Comedy gold.

Which leads seamlessly to:
"[Political correctness] is an often clumsy negotiation towards a formally inclusive language. There's all sorts of problems with it. But it's better than what we had before."
Yep. Pretty much.

.......... yes and? Still butthurt about mbti? I'm sorry on the behalf of the ghost of gaddafi, to the wahabi libyan government who are sending fighters to syria and iraq to ethnically cleanse those countries of shiahs and christians. Poor libyan wahabi-nutbars feelings got hurt. :cry::cry:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^who needs political incorrectness when they excel so much at the normal kind? :rolleyes:
This is why it has no patience with political correctness, just factual accuracy.

Those things are usually allied. There seems to be some conception amongst ignorant people that there is a marked difference between factual correctness and political correctness. In this way, the term does a disservice to the goals it is supposed to serve. As if we all know politically incorrect speech is actually true, but we don't use it to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Fail. Racism isn't wrong because it offends people, it's simply invalid. Racists are not merely inconsiderate, they are stupid. Why invoke political arguments, when purely technical ones will serve? Suppressing inconvenient / offensive truths is as much a mistake as allowing pernicious lies to go uncorrected.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few comments on the replies of [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] to [MENTION=20035]anticlimatic[/MENTION]...

There is a big difference between using gender-neutral words and avoiding terms like kike or nigger.

Indeed - there is a HUGE difference.

Words like "kike" or "nigger" are derogatory. Their use is not based on a desire to communicate in a civilized manner.

Words like "server" and "officer" factually correct, and thus in my opinion - not subject to being written off as "needlessly politically correct language."

Use of terms like "sexual assault" instead of "rape" is of unclear benefit to me. When you hear the word "rape" - it's pretty clear what that means; but when you hear "sexual assault" it is much more vague - it broadens the scope of what could have happened, and thus downplays the severity of the charge at hand.

Gender-neutral words simplify being factually correct, since servers, police officers, and hosts of other roles that used to be men-only are now filled by both men and women.

Agreed 100%. Nicely stated.

I can think of no situations in which accuracy is compromised by calling someone a Kike rather than a Jew, unless one is directly quoting a bigot.

It's all a matter of intent, isn't it?
Does the person uttering such words intend to insult and defame? Usually so, right?

However, there are uses of other words that may or may not be construed as rude, depending on the delivery (and the reputation) of the speaker, as well as the company they are in when speaking as such.
For instance, I know I would not be offended if a friend of mine who is Jewish referred to me as Catholic, and vice versa - I know my friends and my friends know me.
Also, if a friend of mine who is black referred to me as white - I honestly wouldn't care, and vice versa - again, there is a mutual understanding and respect between us all.
But if someone were to go off ranting about all the things they hated about Catholics, or Jews, or white people, or black people - then things go down an entirely different path.
I offer the above simply as a "grey area" between two extremes for the sake of identifying one...

You are right that Te does not care about intent, and looks mainly at the factual content of the word. This is why it has no patience with political correctness, just factual accuracy.

That's interesting. I'm a Ti user and am hell bent on sticking to factual accuracy, and have no patience for political correctness.
I know there's more at play than just Te/Ti alone, just thinking out loud really... :thinking:

I don't remember explaining a distinction between insults and political correctness. If anything, I think political correctness can easily run amok into people seeing insults behind every bush; meaning they readily assign ill intent to people who are simply ignorant of the current preferences for terminology. Otherwise, they would simply explain their preference, like [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]'s friend did.

THIS. :pumpyouup:

Words themselves cannot give offense. The offense comes from the negative thoughts and experiences people come to associate with them. Just look at the many ways we have referred to people of African descent over the last century. We still have the NAACP and United Negro College Fund, established at a time when Colored and Negro were considered acceptable, two terms no longer in favor.

An interesting example of how organizations can exist far longer than the norms of the times they were established in.
Companies, charities, churches, and organizations of all kinds can re-name themselves at any time.
I wonder if the leadership of the NAACP and the United Negro College Fund have considered this option?
Perhaps they don't feel those words to be an issue?
Stuff to ponder...

Insults are an interesting type of speech. People want in the abstract to define an insult by the intent behind it, but people who feel insulted will define an insult by how they perceive it.

WOW!!! :rock:

You can try to insult me but fail, either because I don't find the comment insulting, or I just cannot take it personally. Similarly, lots of people feel insulted by comments that are very well and kindly meant. This is why I prefer to focus on the actual content of the statement.

Exactly.
If I think someone said somebody said something that was rude/insulting to me - I give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them to re-state what they just said because I did not understand it.
What they say after that is a great indication of their true thoughts/beliefs, and most importantly the intent of what they were saying to you - and that gives you the clarity needed to reply appropriately.

If you make a point to do these things, the rest generally takes care of itself.

Absolutely.
It's always awesome reading your posts; thanks for sharing your insights.

:solidarity:

-Halla74

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Political correctness is a Te/Fi thing. Unless something is directly hurting people's feelings in front of us, Ti/Fe users couldn't care less. It's basically a Te system that was created to guard the ever-so-easily butthurt Fi.

If you are going to hate on Te, at least be accurate. :laugh:

Yes, even though most Te users wont admit it, they ARE protecting their fragile Fi.

That part's right. Although others will probably deny it, and eventually make their shadows worse in doing so. I don't mind accepting that.

However. To say that this "system" *cringes* was created by Te is inaccurate.

Where's the manual? Oh that's right....there is no manual. Te needs a manual. Te MAKES manuals.

Te does not care about this shit. They didn't make this system. I know that, cause it's a shitty system. It's a shitty system cause it ISN'T a system.

It's based upon feelings

Misconception with how Fe/Ti works, and what offends it. It's not specific language, but the circumstantial intent behind it (insults vs political correctness, I believe it was you who pointed out the distinction)-- whereas with Te/Fi types, contextual intent is seldom gauged, and it's always simply the literal language, and the universal validity of statements (independent of context), which are measured-- another side effect of this aspect is an irrational irritation with spelling errors, which you're no doubt familiar. Fe/Ti types typically jump straight to what people intended to spell, and they generally don't even notice the error.

For instance, many aspects of political correctness are about neutralizing gender. "Server" instead of "waitress and waiter," and "person" instead of "man and woman." And gender sensitivity is dominantly the realm of the introverted feeler. Extroverted feelers almost get off on those kinds of inherent contrasts.

If that still isn't enough evidence, just compare the amount of people in this thread that can empathize/sympathize with political correctness, and which direction their judging functions point.

I have yet to talk to an INTP that looks for intent, and not specific language.

I think that's inaccurate.

They have Si. Ti and Si put together want to find the perfect words. If someone else doesn't explain themselves properly they get stuck on words.

I don't know how they do it frankly, I don't have time to waste on that. Define the word, and move on.

It's Fe and Fi that care the most about being politically correct.

Those functions care about emotional content. And attaching emotional history to a word sounds like Fi. Could even be Si coupled with Fe.

Which actually is who I see that has the most problems with political incorrectness, Fi's and SFJ's.

Words themselves cannot give offense. The offense comes from the negative thoughts and experiences people come to associate with them.

Ah you bring me back. Back to a time where I said the same thing. This is why I love reading your posts though.

This used to be my argument. I still agree with it 100%. Words don't give offense. Perception takes offense.

But now I have lightened up, and grown to understand that I at least don't need to offend my friends. And if my friend is taking offense, and I wanna keep my friend, I may want to alter the way I say some things. Whether it makes sense or not :laugh: unfortunately.

true story.

The only thing I have against being politically correct is that the more we suppress our shadows the more they come out.

So imo it's just making the problem worse. You can't eliminate words and ban things just cause you said so. And it's just suppressing peoples' true feelings. If they are a bigot, they're gonna be even more of one now.

Until people get to the core of the problem, there's always going to be side effects.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There is a big difference between using gender-neutral words and avoiding terms like kike or nigger. Gender-neutral words simplify being factually correct, since servers, police officers, and hosts of other roles that used to be men-only are now filled by both men and women.

You are right that Te does not care about intent, and looks mainly at the factual content of the word. This is why it has no patience with political correctness, just factual accuracy.

Did you just contradict yourself? If the purpose of political correctness is to be 'factually correct,' therefore factually accurate, how could Te have no patience or appreciation for it?

However. To say that this "system" *cringes* was created by Te is inaccurate.

Where's the manual? Oh that's right....there is no manual. Te needs a manual. Te MAKES manuals.

Te does not care about this shit. They didn't make this system. I know that, cause it's a shitty system. It's a shitty system cause it ISN'T a system.

It's based upon feelings

I see I should have been a little more politically correct in my explanation. Substitute 'top-down thinking' for Te, and 'general practice' for system. So sorry to ruffle your Fi up.... I mean your "personal feelings and sense of identity."

The system, and it very much IS a system (as most things/ideas are), IS based on Fi-lings. You're absolutely right. But it is only so as an ends to the means-- the means is just language (Te), nothing in the means pertains at all to feelings.

^Gah. The stupidity of the term "Fe/Ti type" laid bare. As if an ESFJ and an INTP would ever view political correctness in the same way...

It is related Fe, as others have said.
Which is why a Ti dom/aux will often attempt to subvert it. The Ti user is only interested in the degree of actual correctness, irrespective of polite conventions. The Fe user, by contrast, cares far more about the "political" part. To suggest they are motivated by the same driver is absurd.

You seem to have very little understanding of how the functions work, and work together. I don't know any politically correct ESFJs, and categorizing behavior based on the dichotomy of judging functions (Te/Fi, Fe/Ti), regardless of individual order or strength, is fairly elementary.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see I should have been a little more politically correct in my explanation. Substitute 'top-down thinking' for Te, and 'general practice' for system.

Clarifying a point is different from political correctness. :laugh: (Although I'm finding your sarcasm hilarious)

Do you mind defining top-down thinking in the way that you specifically mean it?

Cause I still don't know if what comes to mind when you say - top down thinking ...is the same when I say - top down thinking.

So sorry to ruffle your Fi up.... I mean your "personal feelings and sense of identity."

My feathers have not been ruffled :laugh: silly goose.

I just wanted you to clarify what you said. So that I can understand you better. I can't read your mind though... so it's up to you to explain it better. And that is really up to you caring to explain. You don't have to though (I know you know that.) And I don't mind if you ignore me. lol that's your choice homie.

The system, and it very much IS a system (as most things/ideas are), IS based on Fi-lings. You're absolutely right. But it is only so as an ends to the means-- the means is just language (Te), nothing in the means pertains at all to feelings.

Hmm. I hardly compare the two words "system" with "general practice." So if we are going with general practice, then it seems to lose it's value.

Example: I called the printer retarded at work, on accident and ppl took unpredictable offense. (unpredictable meaning some ppl take offense and others don't)

If this ^ is a general practice, then it's still an unpredictable practice. Therefore contradicting the fact that it's a general practice. lmao

Why is it contradicting? Because the word "general," used in "general practice," implies that it's affecting or concerning all or most people.

Unpredictable / = general. Therefore it's not a system. Unorganized ideas are not systems.

To get back to the big picture....and your intent....

What it seems to happen is: Fi dom has its feelings hurt, then brings inferior Te out.

Is that what you're saying? ^ If so I agree.

I'm disagreeing with you if you are saying the opposite. Cause the opposite doesn't happen.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those things are usually allied. There seems to be some conception amongst ignorant people that there is a marked difference between factual correctness and political correctness. In this way, the term does a disservice to the goals it is supposed to serve. As if we all know politically incorrect speech is actually true, but we don't use it to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Fail. Racism isn't wrong because it offends people, it's simply invalid. Racists are not merely inconsiderate, they are stupid. Why invoke political arguments, when purely technical ones will serve? Suppressing inconvenient / offensive truths is as much a mistake as allowing pernicious lies to go uncorrected.
The highlighted is quite correct. In my experience, political correctness often entails suppressing these inconvient truths, as in refusing to acknowledge the emperor's true nakedness. As for racism, if by "invalid" you mean "incorrect", I agree. As with other forms of bigotry, it cannot be justified by observable reality. Political correctness goes beyond factual correctness, though, into that nebulous and shifting realm of what makes different people take offense. Consider, for example, a report stating that "X% of graduates from this University are colored". In the U.S. today the use of "colored" would be considered politically incorrect, however accurately it reports the race/ethnic origin of those graduates.

Words like "kike" or "nigger" are derogatory. Their use is not based on a desire to communicate in a civilized manner.

Words like "server" and "officer" factually correct, and thus in my opinion - not subject to being written off as "needlessly politically correct language."

Use of terms like "sexual assault" instead of "rape" is of unclear benefit to me. When you hear the word "rape" - it's pretty clear what that means; but when you hear "sexual assault" it is much more vague - it broadens the scope of what could have happened, and thus downplays the severity of the charge at hand.
To elaborate a bit: slurs like kike and nigger can still be accurate (i.e. the person described really does belong to that group), or inaccurate (e.g. calling a mainline Protestant a kike). If someone calls me a committee chairMAN, I don't really take offense, just see it as careless inaccuracy, much as if they had listed my employer or academic degree incorrectly. (Interestingly I am the chairperson of an international committee, and tolerate "chairman" as the least of my worries in coordinating the work of people representing several nations and languages. Ersatz Fe to the rescue.) Finally, regarding sexual assault and rape, I see room for both terms. Rape means something very specific, but sexual assault can take many forms. Employers, for instance, do well to emphasize that all types of sexual assault are unacceptable and will be handled accordingly.

That's interesting. I'm a Ti user and am hell bent on sticking to factual accuracy, and have no patience for political correctness.
I know there's more at play than just Te/Ti alone, just thinking out loud really... :thinking:
I can see Ti having no more patience with political correctness than Te, though perhaps getting there through a somewhat different process. As a Te user, my point was simply to explain how my own process works.

BTW, thanks for the thoughtful response.

Ah you bring me back. Back to a time where I said the same thing. This is why I love reading your posts though.

This used to be my argument. I still agree with it 100%. Words don't give offense. Perception takes offense.

But now I have lightened up, and grown to understand that I at least don't need to offend my friends. And if my friend is taking offense, and I wanna keep my friend, I may want to alter the way I say some things. Whether it makes sense or not :laugh: unfortunately.
I prefer not to offend my friends and associates as well. I consider this not political correctness but rather personal correctness: understanding the other person enough as a person to know what offends them, and what they value. There is no right and wrong to these preferences, any more than it is right to prefer apples to oranges. But if I know my friend dislikes apples, I won't offer them. Simple as that.

Did you just contradict yourself? If the purpose of political correctness is to be 'factually correct,' therefore factually accurate, how could Te have no patience or appreciation for it?
Not at all. The problem with political correctness is that its requirements differ from those of factual correctness in ways that can be unpredictable and inconstant; in short, a fuzzy and moving target. It wouldn't be so bad if people were content to point out matter-of-factly that "we use 'black' now, not 'colored'". Too often, however, the molehill gets turned into a mountain to no benefit at all.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer not to offend my friends and associates as well. I consider this not political correctness but rather personal correctness: understanding the other person enough as a person to know what offends them, and what they value. There is no right and wrong to these preferences, any more than it is right to prefer apples to oranges. But if I know my friend dislikes apples, I won't offer them. Simple as that.

Yea I hear you. Sadly it took me a while to understand that not everyone likes apples...It's like I needed to understand why...and it's like you said...there is no getting to the bottom of it, it's not right or wrong, that they do or don't. It's just simply preference.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem to have very little understanding of how the functions work, and work together. I don't know any politically correct ESFJs, and categorizing behavior based on the dichotomy of judging functions (Te/Fi, Fe/Ti), regardless of individual order or strength, is fairly elementary.
Yes, your understanding is elementary, overly simplistic, even, and in this case, sadly wrong.

The highlighted is quite correct. In my experience, political correctness often entails suppressing these inconvient truths, as in refusing to acknowledge the emperor's true nakedness.
ORLY? Do expand on what you mean (if it's not too incriminating).
As for racism, if by "invalid" you mean "incorrect", I agree. As with other forms of bigotry, it cannot be justified by observable reality. Political correctness goes beyond factual correctness, though, into that nebulous and shifting realm of what makes different people take offense. Consider, for example, a report stating that "X% of graduates from this University are colored". In the U.S. today the use of "colored" would be considered politically incorrect, however accurately it reports the race/ethnic origin of those graduates.
Ah well, I don't get too hung up on language, as you seem to. Though why you think "colored" is the height of "accuracy" escapes me...
Perhaps, what you are failing to consider is "from whose perspective is this label accurate?".

For me, the impetus behind being PC ought to spring from a desire to right wrongs, which is a mindset I can get behind. When we get into the territory of people who insist on using words like "womyn" instead of "women", I think the absurdity factor starts to overshadow the message, which makes it more of a liability than an asset.

It wouldn't be so bad if people were content to point out matter-of-factly that "we use 'black' now, not 'colored'". Too often, however, the molehill gets turned into a mountain to no benefit at all.
Wow. Try not to choke on that privilege, eh. ;)

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Tl;dr, though it seems you've mistaken Fi for Ti in typing yourself. It's fairly common, but not topic specific.

Not at all. The problem with political correctness is that its requirements differ from those of factual correctness in ways that can be unpredictable and inconstant; in short, a fuzzy and moving target. It wouldn't be so bad if people were content to point out matter-of-factly that "we use 'black' now, not 'colored'". Too often, however, the molehill gets turned into a mountain to no benefit at all.

Ah, fault is mine. I misread a sentence. I can't decide if PCism it's mostly motivated by inferior Te, or inferior Fi. On the one hand inferior Fi would the most vulnerable to even the most basic of daily slights, at least in terms of the amount of reactions it has, strength of those reactions aside. Tert Fi, at least in INTJs, is only really bothered by generalizations-- but is that due to the Ni-web? ISTJs seem unbothered by either. But on the other hand controlling language to control feelings is such a poorly thought out plan (then again, it's had fairly wide success), that it seems like a knee-jerk reaction from a weak tert/inferior judging function.

Clarifying a point is different from political correctness. :laugh: (Although I'm finding your sarcasm hilarious)

Do you mind defining top-down thinking in the way that you specifically mean it?

Hmm. I hardly compare the two words "system" with "general practice." So if we are going with general practice, then it seems to lose it's value.

What it seems to happen is: Fi dom has its feelings hurt, then brings inferior Te out.

Is that what you're saying? ^ If so I agree.

I'm disagreeing with you if you are saying the opposite. Cause the opposite doesn't happen.

Ok, we seem to be having trouble coming to terms with our terms. I assume we're aware that systems are not limited to the physical. All they require are connected elements, often through rules. For example, everyone has a 'system' of studying. Subjective to the individual-- could include coffee, tea, time regiments, etc. A "top-down" system, as most Te systems are, are created prior to implementation and use, often vicarious if not personally invented. Per the example above, a top-down study system would be reading 'how best to study,' and they implementing that procedure for yourself. A "bottom-up" system is a system that falls together on its own, and then is noticed (like the solar system, unless you believe in God). Per the study example, it would be like taking random study breaks in periodic intervals between other tasks, whenever one felt like it, and realizing after the big test that it worked very well. Organic; not forced. In the same way, political correctness is very 'top down;' forced, and unnatural.

Jury is still out on the dom/tert Te/Fi thing. The weaker judging functions only seem to come out when there is no immediate solution to what's encountered for the dominant judging functions. If someone says a word that offends an individual-- a word that isn't inherently offensive (like waitress)-- without political correctness to cite through dom Te, it seems like a tert/inferior Fi would kick in and feel indignant about it, which could have been what was responsible for creating it in the first place.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tl;dr, though it seems you've mistaken Fi for Ti in typing yourself. It's fairly common, but not topic specific.
Maybe you should read more and judge less, lest you be mistaken for an INTJ.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Since you're all Ti/Te users, debating this currently. What would you guys say is factually incorrect about racism? What do you define as racism? Is racism acknowledging that races exist? Hierarchal thinking, discrimination, , belligerence towards other racial groups, xenophobia, or just linguistc descriptions?