User Tag List

First 123412 Last

I've always wondered who (or what) decides what's the "in thing" for political correctness. It's something I don't really care about. The irony of it all is that political correctness ends up dehumanising individuals and groups far more than any potentially hurtful statement could. Whenever I think of it I tend to recall a series named "Politically Correct bedtime stories" which highlights the stupidity of the whole concept.

This would usually be the part where I start criticising Fe but I don't think its required in this case.

Well, different words have different connotation.

One would be politically correct if he/she had sympathies towards the people who he/she wants to be politically correct with while one who isn't politically correct may be less sympathetic towards.

Example: Hobo is politically incorrect. Homeless is politically correct. Hobo reeks of images of a person who lives on the streets and aren't willing to try to get back into society. It could be someone, due to his carelessness, has caused himself to be without a home and living on the streets. Homeless, on the other hand, speaks of a different connotation of the same thing. However, unlike the first, the images when it comes to the homeless are more forgiving. It speaks that there are people, sometimes through no fault of their own, have to live through extenuating circumstances... where they are forced to live on the streets.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Do you all concern yourselves with being politically correct?
    Not really. I think there's a scale sort of like that:

Politically correct ----------- Polite ----------- Cheeky ---------- Impolite ----------- Asshole

Even though that's highly subjective, try not to surpass cheeky and you should be fine.

I wonder if feelers are more concerned with being politically correct.
    FJs, perhaps, but not FPs.

I think people need to be offended every once in a while and changing every word I say to not offend people is a pain. I don't think it is that big of a deal. Thoughts and opinions?

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'd rather be a hobo than a homeless person. Hobos have wisdom. Homeless people are just fuck-ups.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'd rather be a hobo than a homeless person. Hobos have wisdom. Homeless people are just fuck-ups.
    Me too. And the stereotype always has them riding the rails. So they're well travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue350 View Post
    Do you all concern yourselves with being politically correct? I wonder if feelers are more concerned with being politically correct. I think people need to be offended every once in a while and changing every word I say to not offend people is a pain. I don't think it is that big of a deal. Thoughts and opinions?
    No. Though I often just keep my mouth shut.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The only thing that bothers me is that the idea of political correctness postulates the existence of an authority in the matter. Otherwise, I tend to naturally be non-offensive.

Tangentally, I just read Huck Finn for the second time it left me wanting to drop the N-word everywhere. I want to see what a Middle School class sounds like in the hallways after taking that one on in English.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

If I'm not being offensive, it's because that's what I feel is right. Not because it's proper or politically correct.

Not saying racist or other ignorant shit falls into my own sense of correctness. No outside pressure needed.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I like blond and blue eyes... no problem
    I like black woman... attack attack attack

*facepalm*

MBTI
    INFJ

It's amazing how many people seem to equate being "politically correct" to being "polite" or even just not being a raging asshole to other people. So, if we are talking about political correctness, let's define our terms first, shall we?

Being "politically correct" means not saying derogatory things about traditionally persecuted groups, because doing so is a type of persecution. That's why there's the word "political" in there. Because if you are dealing with an individual and you say derogatory things about a group this individual belongs to and/or indicate that the individual in question is not even an individual to you, but merely a representative of that group, and that you despise that group, what you are doing is a political act. You might be being an asshole too, but you are doing something distinctly different from (for example) telling someone they are ugly. What you are doing is contributing to the persecution of a group.

To that end, not being politically correct makes you an even bigger asshole. But sure, if you want to be one, that's your choice. That's the other thing about being "politically correct" is, it's not legally enforced. I.E. you can't go to jail for being politically incorrect. You might want to brace yourself for social consequences, however, i.e. being criticized and being called an asshole. That's freedom of speech at work.

As for "everybody needing to be offended from time to time"... do you honestly believe that people who belong to persecuted minorities somehow lack reasons/opportunities to be offended in their lives? And even if you did believe such a preposterous thing, how does it make it your job to offend them, or give them a dose of "reality"? In addition, even if you believe that and also believe it's your job to offend people, why do you think it's important for you to offend them in specifically the way that makes the offense politically incorrect, i.e. by invoking and participating in the persecution of the group(s) this person belongs to? Can you not just be offensive in any of a million other ways? It really doesn't take that much effort or imagination...

It seems to me that people who love to bash "political correctness" are people who are somewhat deficient in social graces and can't seem to avoid offending people whether they meant to or not, but don't want to face social consequences (i.e. being criticized and disliked) for this. That's why they like to conflate "political correctness" to politeness or not offending people. That's a neat little straw man, but it doesn't actually get you off the hook for offensive behavior. Granted, it's almost impossible to go through life without ever offending somebody, but the correct response to "accidentally" giving offense is not by doubling down on being an inconsiderate asshole. Also, I realize that public opinion is not even remotely infallible, but maybe if something you are doing is consistently offensive to a lot of people, it's worth re-considering your position every once in a while (even if you keep coming to the same conclusion), just, you know, to see if you might think of new reasons why everybody is on your case about it.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.