• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs = the movie ruiners (Warning: this is a rant)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Talking from experience. I ask, what movie do you want to go watch? She says, World War Z. We go and watch it. She wasn't impressed much.

Later I switch on a comedy movie on the TV and she laughs her head off. But it was never something she would have picked out her self. But when I ask her, what movie do we go watch. Nope, it will be a action movie. :D

uhm, I might be demonstrating my sucky social skills :happy2: That other one might be over my head for now.

:D Cute.

The latter thing is something that NiTe does, ime. Look at something one second, strip it down to its essentials, place it in the appropriate box to categorise, NEXT! The thing is that if you do that with people and their behaviours, you are at risk of objectifying them and denying the parts that make them unique...which are kind of crucial in making proper judgements. Hence the prod ;)

...you're a fun chew toy, btw :smile:

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:D Cute.

The latter thing is something that NiTe does, ime. Look at something one second, strip it down to its essentials, place it in the appropriate box to categorise, NEXT! The thing is that if you do that with people and their behaviours, you are at risk of objectifying them and denying the parts that make them unique...which are kind of crucial in making proper judgements. Hence the prod ;)

...you're a fun chew toy, btw :smile:

I suppose I objectify everything, well probably most of the time. So how do I, not do that then?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose I objectify everything, well probably most of the time. So how do I, not do that then?

You take the time to realise you re working with a living being. And you ask yourself what kind of treatment you'd prefer - being objectified to fit into a box neatly, without being given a second thought, almost as on autopilot...or being given maybe a couple of minutes more thought and care, where an understanding can actually occur. Having the person actually *see* you, as such.

An object is something you can manipulate without feeling guilty and bend to your will. A living being...well, they have a will of their own and are entitled to their own opinions, choices and space. They arent to be cajoled to bend to yours. You wouldn't want them to do that to you, now, would you?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You take the time to realise you re working with a living being. And you ask yourself what kind of treatment you'd prefer - being objectified to fit into a box neatly, without being given a second thought, almost as on autopilot...or being given maybe a couple of minutes more thought and care, where an understanding can actually occur. Having the person actually *see* you, as such.

An object is something you can manipulate without feeling guilty and bend to your will. A living being...well, they have a will of their own and are entitled to their own opinions, choices and space. They arent to be cajoled to bend to yours. You wouldn't want them to do that to you, now, would you?

Maybe only when I'm taking over the world. :D

So these other functions that I have, which would that translate to then? More or less of something?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe only when I'm taking over the world. :D

So these other functions that I have, which would that translate to then? More or less of something?

Grin. It would be engaging your Fi :)
Your NiTe is impressive when used to conquer the logistical world out there. But it is your Fi that will give your conquest heart, meaning and a following :wink:

See that is the benefit of respecting people's boundaries, free will and space: they repay you with cooperation, extra hands and become willing minions :smooch:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm like that too and I'm an INTP. I'm nitpicky about some things but movies is not usually one of them. I've enjoyed most movies I've watched and I'm often baffled when some movie I love is ripped to shreads by others who see a million things wrong with it.

I know movies aren't reality nor do I expect it to be.

Movies allow temporary escape from reality.

They allow me to get more in touch with the feeling side of things- movies do not have to totally be logical all the time.

I'm more like this. I like to imagine I'm a character in whatever movie I'm watching. It does bother me when things just plain don't make sense, or are unrealistic or too contrived, but that doesn't keep me from liking the movie unless it's too much. The INTJ I was with wasn't really like the OP describes, but he has well integrated Se. I only watched a couple of movies with him though.

Something I like about my ISFP friends is that they understand movies better than I do and can explain all the nuances and details of them.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Grin. It would be engaging your Fi :)
Your NiTe is impressive when used to conquer the logistical world out there. But it is your Fi that will give your conquest heart, meaning and a following :wink:

See that is the benefit of respecting people's boundaries, free will and space: they repay you with cooperation, extra hands and become willing minions :smooch:

All right then, more Fi when talking to a person.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm more like this. I like to imagine I'm a character in whatever movie I'm watching. It does bother me when things just plain don't make sense, or are unrealistic or too contrived, but that doesn't keep me from liking the movie unless it's too much. The INTJ I was with wasn't really like the OP describes, but he has well integrated Se. I only watched a couple of movies with him though.

Something I like about my ISFP friends is that they understand movies better than I do and can explain all the nuances and details of them.

My least favorite movies are the ones that have "WHOA" moments that are just a buildup of small, minor details throughout the movie. Unfortunately, none really come to mind as an example right now.

Maybe I'm an incredibly intense INFJ, but movies that most call "intense," I call pretty tame. My friend's ISFJ girlfriend is INCREDIBLY anxious and gets rather annoying during intense moments in shows and movies. One reason why I stopped watching movies when she's over.

I like movies that require me to use my brain, but big BOOM movies (looking at you, Michael Bay) are ridiculous. I hate action films. Don't ask why.

When done right, psychological thriller is definitely my favorite genre.

But, of course, the best movies are the ones that have incredible characters. The plot is there for the characters, not the other way around. I think only once in a while does Hollywood release a film like this, and it turns out to be a masterpiece.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Doesn't ESFJs like action, simple minded type movies anyway?

Ugh, definitely not. Unless we have very different definitions of what that means.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh, definitely not. Unless we have very different definitions of what that means.

simple minded, I guess I used the wrong words, perhaps I should have said, popcorn movies, switch of brain and enjoy.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
simple minded, I guess I used the wrong words, perhaps I should have said, popcorn movies, switch of brain and enjoy.

I suppose I sometimes enjoy those movies. Usually I watch a sitcom instead when I'm in that type of mood. But for the most part I look for movies that make me feel something. I often love really tragic films as well. I watched Never Let Me Go with some friends a few years ago and everyone else hated it. I thought it was brilliant.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose I sometimes enjoy those movies. Usually I watch a sitcom instead when I'm in that type of mood. But for the most part I look for movies that make me feel something. I often love really tragic films as well. I watched Never Let Me Go with some friends a few years ago and everyone else hated it. I thought it was brilliant.
I would have guessed ESFJ's would like Fe type things- romantic, inspirational, heart warming, things centered on human relationships. Probably thought provoking at times or educational, but not too intellectually intense. They probably like history a lot as well.

I'd think ESTJ's and ISTJ's would like historical films a lot, documentaries and characters behaving in traditional ways in cultures of the past. My XSTJ grandpa was in the war (though not in combat) and he likes watching things about WWII.

I'd say anything "classic" would appeal to an SJ.

My SJ grandparents also really like religious movies and books. Religion comprises about 75% of the media they expose themselves to. Not sure if this is representative.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would have guessed ESFJ's would like Fe type things- romantic, inspirational, heart warming, things centered on human relationships. Probably thought provoking at times or educational, but not too intellectually intense. They probably like history a lot as well.

I'd think ESTJ's and ISTJ's would like historical films a lot, documentaries and characters behaving in traditional ways in cultures of the past. My XSTJ grandpa was in the war (though not in combat) and he likes watching things about WWII.

I'd say anything "classic" would appeal to an SJ.

My ESFJ aunt will ONLY watch a movie if it's a rom-com. Come holidays and time to sit down and watch a movie as a family, I would want to watch something with substance, between she and my ISFP mother, we end up watching a rom-com. I hate it. Except last time I managed to get them to agree upon 500 Days of Summer. Love that film.

R

Riva

does this person do it in a negative way; complaining about the movie? could be a e6 if so.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would have guessed ESFJ's would like Fe type things- romantic, inspirational, heart warming, things centered on human relationships. Probably thought provoking at times or educational, but not too intellectually intense.

Hey this sounds like my taste in movies! :happy2:

They probably like history a lot as well.

Oh... :unsure:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey this sounds like my taste in movies! :happy2:

Oh... :unsure:
You probably are more interested in human experience than relationships as such though. That seems to be Fi. Exploring characters and social issues, and characters' relation to issues. That would describe my ENFP sister's taste in movies. And silly comedies of course.
Edit: relationships with the focus on the experience of them rather than the dynamics. I think all feelers like to think about relationships.

Do you not like history?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You probably are more interested in human experience than relationships as such though. That seems to be Fi. Exploring characters and social issues, and characters' relation to issues. That would describe my ENFP sister's taste in movies. And silly comedies of course.
Edit: relationships with the focus on the experience of them rather than the dynamics. I think all feelers like to think about relationships.

Oh, yeah you're definitely right about that. :D I do like romcoms, although I'm more concerned with how the characters respond to the story and their circumstances than the actual relationship stuff going on between them. A few favorites are He's Just Not That Into You, (500) Days of Summer, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Kiki's Delivery Service, Atonement, and Something Borrowed.

Do you not like history?

It's not my favorite thing to watch? I don't mind a historical setting, I just don't like when the characters are portrayals of people that have actually existed. I like people I've never heard of before, and usually I prefer movies that take place in our current time just because it's easier to understand the characters that way since I just see them as regular people. I don't like spending my mental energy on trying to understand whatever time period they're in, what the living conditions are like, how the government works, etc and then seeing how the movies define the characters in terms of the system. Atonement is probably one of the only movies I like in a historical setting. I don't really mind unique settings though as long as it doesn't impede on my understanding of the characters. I think Kiki's Delivery Service is a good example of this. She's in a world where witches go out on their own at 13 to experience being an independent witch. She does witch-y things, but the movie is still mostly about Kiki as a person and how she learns from her experience, etc.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But that's the point: I cannot assume everyone wants to be treated as I would prefer, or values the same things I value. I need to ask instead how the other person wants to be treated, and that is often very difficult to discern.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But that's the point: I cannot assume everyone wants to be treated as I would prefer, or values the same things I value. I need to ask instead how the other person wants to be treated, and that is often very difficult to discern.

Indeed. It's also tough to see things like...

Fat Cops
Hot Miami Listings
Various car shows from Discovery Velocity

....that my ENFJ puts on the DVR.

S

Stansmith

I prefer movies that are subtle, well-shot and meaningful on an emotional and/or philosophical level. Although I also enjoy movies like David Fincher's (Fight Club, Zodiac, etc.), Tarantino's (Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, etc.) and some Judd Apathow films (Superbad, This is The End, etc), which are usually more popcorn-y.