User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default How are INTJs different from INTPs?

Can anyone explain?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

INTJ's and INTP's have very different attitudes about order and closure.
    The INTP tends to be more casual, spontaneous and flexible.
    While the INTJ is more likely to be organized, decisive and has a greater drive to get things done.
    Besides that, they have a remarkable number of similarities.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

In my experience, INTJs have always been more quick to express negative feelings than INTPs. They're rougher around the edges.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

In cognitive processing, INTPs are primarily logical, guided by pure reason of abstract ideas external world (Ti-Ne axis). They are more concerned with what is theoretically and logically possible. INTJs are primarily guided by insight and imagination, and they use the tools of the outer world to express that insight (Ni-Te axis). Despite being just one letter off, the two types are actually very different. The INTJ is more concerned with controlling the external world to fit his/her own vision of how things should be. Contrary to popular belief, the INTJ is not a logical type, but since they use Te instead of Ti, they are more interested in usefulness.

In terms of behavior, however, the INTJs tend to be more conservative and perhaps closed-minded than the INTPs because of their J preference and thus their perception function directed inward.

The INTP tends to be primarily interested in thinking for the sake of thinking; moreover, analyzing the logical fluency of abstract possibilities. The INTJ is more interested in a preconceived goal crafted by Ni and manipulating the outer world with Te to match the Ni vision.

MBTI
    ENFJ

There are a remarkable number of similarities when you compare them to the rest of the populace, but when comparing them to each other they're completely different.

INTPs are intellectually open-ended. INTJs need intellectual closure. INTPs also usually appear more playful. INTJs strive for ruthless practicality while INTPs strive for total understanding. INTJs really only need the gist of something to get working on it, while INTPs need something more complete. INTJs often have more 'force' behind them and be more easily angered. INTPs tend to be friendlier and get more frustrated with people rather than angry. The most important difference has been said here already, that INTPs like abstract thought for the sake of abstract thought, but for the INTJ it must be applied to be worth anything to them.

I guess it's like, if you look at archetypes, INTJs are your angry smart guys, INTPs are your absentminded professors.

Oh yeah, and INTJs like archetypes.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Except the angry part, I know that I really enjoy INTJ's.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Except the angry part, I know that I really enjoy INTJ's.
    I think most of the anger stems from restlessness.

This is just my personal experience with INTPs vs. INTJs.

INTJs give you lots of space. They don't intrude, they are very respectful. However, they can sometimes be really close minded and myopic in their thinking. They always have to be right and everyone is wrong. They are difficult people because they always assume the other is wrong before starting a conversation.

INTPs are open minded, warm, very caring, but they are sort of smothering. They always want you to initiate conversations with them, and you're always making most of the effort in communication. Once they warm up to you, they are very open, but still, they keep talking and talking and don't know when to stop sometimes and give you space and breathing room.

Both are very different. If I had to choose, I rather hang out with INTPs! (aside from the fact that they are very clingy!)

INTJs- there's just something off-putting about the fact that they always have to be right and cannot see from other people's POV that puts me off.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Algora J View Post
    This is just my personal experience with INTPs vs. INTJs.

INTJs give you lots of space. They don't intrude, they are very respectful. However, they can sometimes be really close minded and myopic in their thinking. They always have to be right and everyone is wrong. They are difficult people because they always assume the other is wrong before starting a conversation.
    Correction: An immature INTJ will only be open to their own ideas and will throw away the ideas of others without consideration, saying that "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!"

A mature INTJ will hear you out, consider all the options and all the angles, and then tell you "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!"

I think what you're mistaking for myopicness is just be their arguing style. Theirs is right, yours is wrong, until you can prove it to them otherwise. It's a challenge to you rather than closemindedness.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

I was actually just PMing Nocap about a similar topic.

In theory Ni is, in itself, very sensitive to how mental constructs are relative to differing points of view. Te is then used to establish what points of view are more empirically legitimate.

So I don't think it's that INTJs can't see another POV, it's just that they discount ones that aren't, in their judgment, as useful or legitimate.

Lenore Thomson says in her book Personality Types:

"For INJs, truth isn't about logic. Truth is a frame of reference, a way of organizing information which serves one set of needs or another."

Te will decide which frame of reference organizes information that "serves one set of needs or another" in the best way. And Te can seem more black and white than Ti.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London