User Tag List

First 678

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The two INT types are extremely similar. Is the INTP more like the ENTP or the INTJ? The answer might be either one depending on what criteria you are using. The ENTP and INTP use the same functions, so they process things in an extremely similar fashion. However introverts and extraverts ultimately have different goals, motivations, etc... which are most important to them. That is why you can say the INTJ is the most similar to the INTP, because INT's are ultimately interested in the same types of things, but they process information and therefore achieve their goals in totally different fashions.

For example both INT types are interested in developing new (and desirably correct) ideas. But how they develop these ideas tends to be totally different. An INTP might read a wide variety of sources and listen to a wide variety of people to generate hypotheses, but internally each one is carefully weighed logically and compared to the framework of conclusions that they have already reached. In this way an INTP slowly and carefully builds an elaborate mental framework relating to the subject he is trying to develop.

In contrast an INTJ might come up with an entirely novel idea on their own, but then they need some way to test how true it actually is. So then they might look up what the latest research on the idea is, and then reach a conclusion and go onto the next thing. Or alternatively they might perform some type of experiment (possibly even on themselves) in order to reach a conclusion.

So in general INTJ's and INTP's are very similar in what they want, but totally different in how they go about getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by markjENTJ View Post
    can you repeat the same thing for the ENTJs funtion, and ENTPs
    ENTJ's and ENTP's are analogous to what I've said above. ENT's have very similar motivations, but how they process information and achieve goals is totally different.

For example both ENT types are attracted to abstract ideas, but they are much more interested in applying these ideas to the real world than INT's are. ENT's want their ideas to externally achieve something, but the ENTJ leads with thinking and uses intuition for support, while the ENTP is opposite leading with intuition. So when achieving a goal an ENTJ might first look for the most efficient method possible, while the ENTP might look for the most original method possible. (Of course it's possible that in looking for the most efficient method the ENTJ develops a totally original one, and likewise the ENTP could invent the most efficient method by starting with a novel approach.)

Ultimately why the ENT types do what they do is very similar, but the how tends to be totally different.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

very enlightening post, and additionally, very badass username too.

MBTI
    INT-

I typically score a 1% on J half the time and 1% on P half the time. I don't think the test is designed to give you a 0%, but that's what I probably am.

Most of the "differences" that you guys bring up are either weapons at my disposal, or points of inner-conflict. I'd like to think that more often than not, I can flip between INTJ and INTP to choose which personality is best suited for the situation. Let me just say this, after I'm done exploring something, it get's turfed really hard in my list of interests. I go through so many phases yearly or even monthly, it's hard to control.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
    I typically score a 1% on J half the time and 1% on P half the time. I don't think the test is designed to give you a 0%, but that's what I probably am.

Most of the "differences" that you guys bring up are either weapons at my disposal, or points of inner-conflict. I'd like to think that more often than not, I can flip between INTJ and INTP to choose which personality is best suited for the situation. Let me just say this, after I'm done exploring something, it get's turfed really hard in my list of interests. I go through so many phases yearly or even monthly, it's hard to control.
    I can understand this totally. An example of mine is that at work I am much more structured, but I still don't like to tie myself down to moronic meetings and arbritrary deadlines, but I still like to work to a plan.

In my homelife I find that I am the one organising bills to be paid, holidays to be sorted, planning when to leave out etc etc rather than my ISFJ partner. Though I think this is because I've learnt from past mistakes or trying to avoid a situation I don't want to be stuck in

My P/J came out at 56/44 and I have always flipped between having everything structured and organised and then thinking "oh b*gger it" and just let the world run its path.
    Yes, you are unique......just like everyone else

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm pretty sure I'm the INTJ version of what you described. I've always had a heavy amount of P balancing it out, but after I left the christian faith, I started to have a lot more J in day-to-day life, and I personally identify more with the J. Potentially a result of being raised with the golden rule and then not necessarily needing it to make myself happy?

just a theory. I can say for certain that I can vividly remember being Ne trounced by INTPs often in my life...