User Tag List

First 678

I would have felt the same...very embarrassed about seeing both the arguing and the tears.
    I was raised by two feeling type parents.
    My sister is also an INTP and she and I would be regularly mortified by the way our parents interacted and how they interacted with us.

MBTI
    PINT

I can't watch embarrassing things on TV without feeling more embarrassed for them than they probably 'are'. I always used to change the channel when I knew something was going to happen. I can handle it now, but embarrassment in any form is still painful for me.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think one factor is the "boundary" issue. I can handle people expressing their emotions, but I don't like it when emotions assault my boundaries or other people's boundaries, or are used manipulatively, or when people seem to be demanding that I be responding with the same emotions they're expressing or something's wrong with me. Both anger and smarm can sometimes just "gush" all over other people and then it's intrusive to me.
    That's interesting. Can you give a concrete example of both situations? One of where emotions do not offend your boundaries and one where you feel 'invaded' by emotion?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Wow, I didn't even know that this thread got resurrected! Awesome!

At any rate, I had an experience the other day that reminded me of this subject. I was on the bus going home from the university, and this older woman sitting a couple of rows in front of me was talking on her cellphone. I usually try to space out as much as possible on these bis rides (because I kind of hate them), but she was talking extremely loud, almost to the point of screaming, and so I couldn't help but have my attention constantly raped by her annoying voice. At a certain point, her voice and manner became so animated that everyone began looking at her, and she just broke suddenly into these outrageously dramatic tears.

I was torn between amusement (I get a sort of pleasure from witnessing absurdities related to my bus-taking experiences...and there are a lot of them) and embarrassment, but the latter ended up winning the day. I just wanted her to stop for her own sake, and when she wouldn't, I had the urge to get off the bus prematurely just to get away from her.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Wow, I didn't even know that this thread got resurrected! Awesome!

At any rate, I had an experience the other day that reminded me of this subject. I was on the bus going home from the university, and this older woman sitting a couple of rows in front of me was talking on her cellphone. I usually try to space out as much as possible on these bis rides (because I kind of hate them), but she was talking extremely loud, almost to the point of screaming, and so I couldn't help but have my attention constantly raped by her annoying voice. At a certain point, her voice and manner became so animated that everyone began looking at her, and she just broke suddenly into these outrageously dramatic tears.

I was torn between amusement (I get a sort of pleasure from witnessing absurdities related to my bus-taking experiences...and there are a lot of them) and embarrassment, but the latter ended up winning the day. I just wanted her to stop for her own sake, and when she wouldn't, I had the urge to get off the bus prematurely just to get away from her.
    I used to live in Albany, NY and got used to all bus-related weirdness. After you've seen someone urinate in the back of the bus, you become desensitized.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
    I can't watch embarrassing things on TV without feeling more embarrassed for them than they probably 'are'. I always used to change the channel when I knew something was going to happen. I can handle it now, but embarrassment in any form is still painful for me.
    Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about. I still do that. Some people are squeamish, other people are embarrassed for TV characters...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I used to live in Albany, NY and got used to all bus-related weirdness. After you've seen someone urinate in the back of the bus, you become desensitized.
    Lol, no, nothing that bad has ever happened. I try to minimize my bus-travel time, so I usually only encounter other students (there's like three major universities in one small area) and the occasional bum/weirdo. It's worse at night. But the day someone takes a piss in closed quarters with me, I will never take the bus again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about. I still do that. Some people are squeamish, other people are embarrassed for TV characters...
    I don't really get all that embarrassed for television characters, especially if they're designed to make you feel embarrassed for them. I think a good example is Meet the Parents...I always felt more annoyed at the stupidity of her parents than embarrassed for Ben Stiller's character.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Basically, I think I'm trying to say being around people mostly sucks.
    Spoken like a true INTP.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^ yes. NTs are basically all just 11yr-old boys at heart.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari