• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are you a typical NT?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I am in some ways. I do value objectivity, since I hate being swayed by others' opinions/beliefs. I also like to reason out how the world works, and am very innovative/creative in how I think (quintessential INTP traits, I know).

but then I really like fun. I like to spend most of the day, if I can, just doing things I enjoy. This sounds ESFP-esque, but then INTP traits also stress autonomy, so perhaps this is why (I do admit I like my own space and time). But then this space has to be used just to enjoy myself and have fun.

I would say I understand people well and have good empathy, and can be witty when needs be (non-INTP traits to some degree).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am in some ways. I do value objectivity, since I hate being swayed by others' opinions/beliefs. I also like to reason out how the world works, and am very innovative/creative in how I think (quintessential INTP traits, I know).

but then I really like fun. I like to spend most of the day, if I can, just doing things I enjoy. This sounds ESFP-esque, but then INTP traits also stress autonomy, so perhaps this is why (I do admit I like my own space and time). But then this space has to be used just to enjoy myself and have fun.

I would say I understand people well and have good empathy, and can be witty when needs be (non-INTP traits to some degree).

"but then I really like fun. I like to spend most of the day, if I can, just doing things I enjoy. This sounds ESFP-esque"

Isn't ESFP like, it's universal. Everyone likes having fun, everyone prefers to spend most of their days doing things they enjoy...

"I would say I understand people well and have good empathy, and can be witty when needs be (non-INTP traits to some degree)."

These traits are normal for INTP's.

I think you may have some misconceptions about the INTP type in general. ;)

since I hate being swayed by others' opinions/beliefs.

This is the only non-INTP thing about your post, although I think that is more because of a wrong choice of words. INTP's love having their ideas challenged and would be the first to be swayed by good arguements, as long as those arguements are valid of course. If they're bad arguements, I'm with you on that one.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
the ESFP is the entertainer. S/he sees fun and sociality as paramount. NTs see reason and insight as paramount.

INTPs often are labelled as socially awkward, however I don't think I am. I am reserved but never shy.

As for others' opinions, well I consider myself open-minded if present with a cogent argument.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm more sensitive and feeler-y than the average NT. I care what other people think of me and I consider how others will feel about something when making decisions. I can get emotional about the stupidest things sometimes.

Otherwise, I'm no different than most NTs. I have a strong need for independence and competence in what I do. I have a strong need to understand how the world works and have a love of learning things. I seek the truth behind things.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have to be an actual NT to answer this question? lol

When I thought I was an NT I thought I was pretty typical in some ways but not others. Some people in real life still initially type me as an INTX. If you take a list of "typical NF qualities" and "typical NT qualities" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be much more on the NF side if at all. But then INFJ's are the most NT-like of the NF's, and I'm not unique in this.

Anyway,
:popc1:

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

When I thought I was an NT I thought I was pretty typical in some ways but not others. Some people in real life still initially type me as an INTX. If you take a list of "typical NF qualities" and "typical NT qualities" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be much more on the NF side if at all. But then INFJ's are the most NT-like of the NF's, and I'm not unique in this.

Anyway,

Damnit. I was gonna post something like this.

:overreact:

/not original not unique

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moooods! :overreact:

*reports post*

;)
Damnit. I was gonna post something like this.

:overreact:

/not original not unique

and I'm not unique in this.
Uh, that's that I said...

I frequently don't know if people are joking, but just so you know I was not "reacting" at all, let alone overreacting. Just posing the question. I think it would be interesting to know what a typical NT looks like and see if non-NT's look like this too sometimes. I have no emotional attachment to this whatsoever.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess I'd need to know what a typical NT is, and then I could answer. Then again, I guess that's a very NT-overthought response.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Uh, that's that I said...

I frequently don't know if people are joking, but just so you know I was not "reacting" at all, let alone overreacting. Just posing the question. I think it would be interesting to know what a typical NT looks like and see if non-NT's look like this too sometimes. I have no emotional attachment to this whatsoever.

I was saying that *I'm* not original or unique.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't ESFP like, it's universal. Everyone likes having fun, everyone prefers to spend most of their days doing things they enjoy...
The difference lies in what we find enjoyable, and this can be a big difference.

Not at all. We will accept reasonable replies from convincing imitations.

I guess I'd need to know what a typical NT is, and then I could answer. Then again, I guess that's a very NT-overthought response.
Quite. Moreover, there are significant differences among the 4 NT types. On an individual level, I can say most of what is in the usual INTJ type descriptions applies to me. The descriptions leave plenty of room for interpretation, however, especially in how and where one applies the characteristics of the type, so even INTJs will have significant differences one from another.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The difference lies in what we find enjoyable, and this can be a big difference.

Not at all. We will accept reasonable replies from convincing imitations.

Quite. Moreover, there are significant differences among the 4 NT types.

Would you say a need to eliminate any ambiguities in communication is more of an INTP thing? Then again, I've noticed you do that, also. (Some people criticize that tendency, but ambiguities are how misunderstandings happen.)

I relate to the INTP description very well, not just in terms of strengths, but weaknesses, if we are using descriptions as an example of "typicalness."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you say a need to eliminate any ambiguities in communication is more of an INTP thing? Then again, I've noticed you do that, also. (Some people criticize that tendency, but ambiguities are how misunderstandings happen.)
I want to eliminate ambiguities that interfere with getting something done. I think INTPs do it more for the satisfaction of internal consistency.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would like to define the characteristics of a "typical NT" and compare it to a "typical NF" otherwise it's just going to sound subjective.

NT's at thier best are: innovative, inquisitive, analytical, bright, independant, witty, and competant.

NT's at thier worst are: arrogant, cynical, critical, distant, and self-righteous.

NT's value knowledge and competancy. Problem-solving and mastering new challanges are stimulating.

According to these characteristics I'm a "typical NT"

In comparison to NF's...

at their best: compassionate, warm, loyal, helpful, idealistic, and genuine.

at thier worst: hypersensitive, overly emotional, judgemental, impractical, un-realistic, and self-absorbed.

We can only know ourselves from knowing another, because then we'd have nothing to compare to.

What may seem "warm" to one person, is different to another.

Compared to an NF I'm none of the best qualities except for helpful.

On TypoC however, I think that a little thing that I like to call my "7 front," kind of makes me seem more NF to others. But irl, I don't have the capacity to have as much emotional depth as an NF.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was saying that *I'm* not original or unique.

Oh I see. I don't understand half the things people say. Or people. Sadly, that's probably typical of NT's. Or is it just a stereotype?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Oh I see. I don't understand half the things people say. Or people. Sadly, that's probably typical of NT's. Or is it just a stereotype?

You remind me of [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION] in that respect.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP

Anyway,

It's a free forum/world, post away lol.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I would like to define the characteristics of a "typical NT" and compare it to a "typical NF" otherwise it's just going to sound subjective.

NT's at thier best are: innovative, inquisitive, analytical, bright, independant, witty, and competant.

NT's at thier worst are: arrogant, cynical, critical, distant, and self-righteous.

NT's value knowledge and competancy. Problem-solving and mastering new challanges are stimulating.

According to these characteristics I'm a "typical NT"

In comparison to NF's...

at their best: compassionate, warm, loyal, helpful, idealistic, and genuine.

at thier worst: hypersensitive, overly emotional, judgemental, impractical, un-realistic, and self-absorbed.

We can only know ourselves from knowing another, because then we'd have nothing to compare to.

What may seem "warm" to one person, is different to another.

Compared to an NF I'm none of the best qualities except for helpful.

On TypoC however, I think that a little thing that I like to call my "7 front," kind of makes me seem more NF to others. But irl, I don't have the capacity to have as much emotional depth as an NF.

I'd agree about this.

I have many of the NT traits you mentioned and some of the NF.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
"but then I really like fun. I like to spend most of the day, if I can, just doing things I enjoy. This sounds ESFP-esque"

"I would say I understand people well and have good empathy, and can be witty when needs be (non-INTP traits to some degree)."

These traits are normal for INTP's.

I think you may have some misconceptions about the INTP type in general. ;)

This is the only non-INTP thing about your post, although I think that is more because of a wrong choice of words. INTP's love having their ideas challenged and would be the first to be swayed by good arguements, as long as those arguements are valid of course. If they're bad arguements, I'm with you on that one.

My understanding of ESFPs is that for them, fun/entertainment is the key of life. Everybody likes fun, granted. But then for NTs, we generally see intellectual challenge as key.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My understanding of ESFPs is that for them, fun/entertainment is the key of life. Everybody likes fun, granted. But then for NTs, we generally see intellectual challenge as key.

I think NT's typically require more to satisfy them in entertainment. They can enjoy SP-type things for awhile but might get bored with it or try to throw in some intellectual stimulation.