• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] An INTJ I know is in an Ni-Fi loop--can I help?

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An INTJ I know is in a serious Ni-Fi loop. I was looking over this thread and it fits him perfectly. He's a conspiracy theorist who's always bringing up these ideas that frankly sound crazy to me, and he is paranoid. When he does this, I'll ask him straight out: "What evidence do you have for this?", and he'll normally just say things like, "I've read a lot, and I see the patterns throughout history. If you read a lot too, you'll see it." I also point out to him when I see a logical fallacy in what he's saying. But he just starts feeling hurt and says things like "Why do you never believe me about anything?"

Also, he just doesn't seem to see that his theories aren't panning out. He said to me the other day that things he's predicted for 20 years have always come true and (jokingly) said he must be psychic. I have known him this long, and I KNOW this isn't true by a long shot, and I'm shocked he can't see it.

My motivations for asking about this are that 1) honestly, I have to see him since he's family and he's driving me crazy. And 2) I see that he's alienating everyone around him because he never allows the possibility that someone else might have a point in disagreeing with him, and then he gets hurt that people don't agree with what he's saying and when people don't want to be around him. I don't like to see him hurt.

So I want to help him, but I don't know how. From what I know about loops, it would help him to use his Te more often. I'm wondering if there's a way that I could encourage him to develop it? Or is there anything else that I could do to help him?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know. I see this A LOT on personality cafe. You have to show him facts. You can't stimulate his Te by saying I don't know I have read a lot. You have to actually name things that are wrong with what his is saying...if he still won't listen then, I don't know...what kinds of theories does he have, is it constant, and are you sure he has never been right?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. I see this A LOT on personality cafe. You have to show him facts. You can't stimulate his Te by saying I don't know I have read a lot. You have to actually name things that are wrong with what his is saying...if he still won't listen then, I don't know...what kinds of theories does he have, is it constant, and are you sure he has never been right?

From what I gather, it is him using that excuse, not her.

Engaging his Te is good, most definitely, but you need to make him feel safe and not judged first (tertiary Fi demands that kind of security). Right now, he knows that everyone considers him a nut and he is rebelling against their rejection of him by doing the 'Ivory Tower' thing. If you can muster the time, energy and effort, encourage him to share his theories with you. Do not dismiss them, or take them logically apart/shut them down. Ask him to show you the patterns he's noticed - treat it as giving him the benefit of the doubt, see it as a draft he's presenting to be discussed. And I realise you aint Ne, but what Ido at that point is point out other possibilities for those patterns occurring and innocently asking if that could possibly also be a factor. Once they say no, I ask them to substantiate that claim with logical facts, parameters, objective measures etc. From my side, I'll argue the merits of the other possibilities.

It's a way to get them talking about what they see, feel validated that someone sees their theories as having potential, while still giving them critical feedback - Te-style. Remember, for an FiTe person, it is important that their feelings aren't invalidated, but ideas are up for grabs. That means that you cannot invalidate him feeling this way about something, about a pattern, but you can certainly discuss what other options there are, how it would fit into the real world, etc. Don't tell him he should feel differently, tell him which factors he might be missing. Be on his team while fleshing this out - iow, use language like 'what about? Do you think this could also factor in? How about? and not 'That cannot be due to this and this, how would that even make sense' etc- not the cop on the other side of the table who is interrogating him coz he aint telling the truth. Humor his claim, and take them apart without taking apart his person. And if you can, make it clear that however much you may disagree with him on these things, or not be convinced, it does not in any way affect your level of respect for him as a person and friend/family member. Try not to roll your eyes at him for his quirks and just gently let him be and try to include him where you can. And for the love of god, don't let him know that you re just indulging him - be genuine in your efforts. Otherwise you're better of just keeping your distance and letting him be - it'll be less intrusive and painful for him.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, my bad, I still think you have to force feed them facts and if they don't accept facts, then you may need to get him professional help. I mean what Amar described is how a therapist would talk to a delusional person, she is probably right since she has lived with an INTJ for ten years.

I really think you should check out personality cafe though. Over there we have a man who is denying the LAX shooting was real and was staged by the CIA, a man who says his town council is personally oppressing him because they agreed upon bicycle lanes, and of course the repeat tin foil hat business of one Robyn C who calls herself ENTJ but is probably INTJ.

I have theories too some times, and facts are the only way to shake me out of it. Maybe INTJs place more of their identity in their conspiracy because of being Ni dominant.

It's frustrating for me because these guys often talk to other people like they are stupid assholes, but get butthurt when you give it right back.

I don't think INTJs are for me.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Engaging his Te is good, most definitely, but you need to make him feel safe and not judged first (tertiary Fi demands that kind of security). Right now, he knows that everyone considers him a nut and he is rebelling against their rejection of him by doing the 'Ivory Tower' thing. If you can muster the time, energy and effort, encourage him to share his theories with you. Do not dismiss them, or take them logically apart/shut them down. Ask him to show you the patterns he's noticed - treat it as giving him the benefit of the doubt, see it as a draft he's presenting to be discussed. And I realise you aint Ne, but what Ido at that point is point out other possibilities for those patterns occurring and innocently asking if that could possibly also be a factor. Once they say no, I ask them to substantiate that claim with logical facts, parameters, objective measures etc. From my side, I'll argue the merits of the other possibilities.

It's a way to get them talking about what they see, feel validated that someone sees their theories as having potential, while still giving them critical feedback - Te-style. Remember, for an FiTe person, it is important that their feelings aren't invalidated, but ideas are up for grabs. That means that you cannot invalidate him feeling this way about something, about a pattern, but you can certainly discuss what other options there are, how it would fit into the real world, etc. Don't tell him he should feel differently, tell him which factors he might be missing. Be on his team while fleshing this out - iow, use language like 'what about? Do you think this could also factor in? How about? and not 'That cannot be due to this and this, how would that even make sense' etc- not the cop on the other side of the table who is interrogating him coz he aint telling the truth. Humor his claim, and take them apart without taking apart his person. And if you can, make it clear that however much you may disagree with him on these things, or not be convinced, it does not in any way affect your level of respect for him as a person and friend/family member. Try not to roll your eyes at him for his quirks and just gently let him be and try to include him where you can. And for the love of god, don't let him know that you re just indulging him - be genuine in your efforts. Otherwise you're better of just keeping your distance and letting him be - it'll be less intrusive and painful for him.

I wish somebody was like this to me.
My dad always invalidates my feelings. This Ni does seem like a curse sometimes.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have theories too some times, and facts are the only way to shake me out of it. Maybe INTJs place more of their identity in their conspiracy because of being Ni dominant.

I don't think INTJs use facts much in predicting the future. The truth is though that looking at what happened in the past does help you to predict what will happen in the future. It's why history is so important and why Si doms are pretty good at predicting what will happen in the short term. I guess those are facts in a way.

The way out of an Ni-Fi loop is through Te. It is kind of hard to say, "I want to get out of this loop and I'm going to exercise my Te now". What will likely work is getting out there and spending more time interacting with people and working. The world of work is often very Te oriented and so if your job encourages you to exercise that and you spend more time doing that and less time alone and in your head, the Te naturally comes out and gets exercised.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION]

Yes but people may invalidate your beliefs, no matter what. I think that is the difference between INTJs and most FPs. It's like they think when they are using Ni Fi that they are still speaking objective fact, which tends to piss most people off unless they just find it wacky. It is the attitude that one's theories and beliefs are objectively correct that puts other people off.

Maybe FPs get more sympathy because while we exhibit this attitude too, we do it considerably less due to function order.

I am used to people mocking me for my belief in the supernatural. I think some INTJ never adjust to being told every single thought they have is not necessarily objective.

I know a massive conspiracy theorist in my personal life, but I just humor him, because he is like eighty two. He is smart and interesting, but a lot of his family invalidate him. I usually just listen and nod and question a few things if it sounds dangerously crazy for him to think that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think INTJs use facts much in predicting the future. The truth is though that looking at what happened in the past does help you to predict what will happen in the future. It's why history is so important and why Si doms are pretty good at predicting what will happen in the short term. I guess those are facts in a way.

The way out of an Ni-Fi loop is through Te. It is kind of hard to say, "I want to get out of this loop and I'm going to exercise my Te now". What will likely work is getting out there and spending more time interacting with people and working. The world of work is often very Te oriented and so if your job encourages you to exercise that and you spend more time doing that and less time alone and in your head, the Te naturally comes out and gets exercised.

Yeah it certainly helped some one I know to get out of an Si Fi loop, so I imagine it helps Ni Fi too.

I know when I get too wacky it helps me to go do something physical or new. That is probably Se.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION]

Yes but people may invalidate your beliefs, no matter what. I think that is the difference between INTJs and most FPs. It's like they think when they are using Ni Fi that they are still speaking objective fact, which tends to piss most people off unless they just find it wacky. It is the attitude that one's theories and beliefs are objectively correct that puts other people off.

Maybe FPs get more sympathy because while we exhibit this attitude too, we do it considerably less due to function order.

I am used to people mocking me for my belief in the supernatural. I think some INTJ never adjust to being told every single thought they have is not necessarily objective.

I know a massive conspiracy theorist in my personal life, but I just humor him, because he is like eighty two. He is smart and interesting, but a lot of his family invalidate him. I usually just listen and nod and question a few things if it sounds dangerously crazy for him to think that.

In my own personal case, I would think of a theory and then I let it go, have my say and leave it unless someone else comes back and talk about it. I do get stuck sometimes, it is still there. I just try to keep it to myself, most of the times.

What [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] said made sense to me, since I do that often at work. Sometimes my MBTI results do return with INTP, also when I spent a lot of time with an ESFJ, they remind to look at the facts first.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:thinking:

Coming back to this thread, and with the OP being a J, this might help as well.

Ask yourself what your goal is. I know J's like their goals.

Is it to prove him wrong? Or is it to draw him out of his isolation and give him a chance to get out of this loop?

Be honest with yourself.

Coz if it is the first, you're better off giving up right now and walking away as you'll only frustrate yourself and cause him to recoil more from reality. You'll never succeed.

If it is the second, then don't worry about defending the truth. Worry about this man who needs to find a way out of the maze that is his head, and give him the soundboard and light at the end of the tunnel he so desperately craves. Let him rant and make sense of his own thoughts. It's how Fi works itself out. It may not make sense to you or be rational and it'll likely grate on you wrt to what you know to be true, but it is seriously *less* important than him having the freedom, safe space and drive to figure this thing out. Encourage him with questions to create Te-benchmarks for his own Ni-hunches, and honestly help him pursue them, even when you know them to be false already. Make it a point to also compliment and reassure him when he does get something right Ni-wise, however small. He needs to be able to flesh out how to properly wield his dominant function. Right now, all this invalidation is just making him paranoid of the rest of the world (perhaps out to get him) and of himself, that he cannot trust his own perspective on the world. And that is a paralysing, terrifying place to be in.

You're also a fellow Ni-user, and a Ti-user (which works similarly to Fi). You yourself probably understand better than anyone the kind of time and introverting it takes for Ni to re-adjust its perspective, to build a new framework with the information gathered by Xe, as well as the Truth-seeking that Xi(in your case Ti) does and how painfully slow, nitpicky and circular that can be. Give him that time. Be patient. Don't expect this to be fixed easily, and don't hold your breath for tangible results. It is a process. A slow, painful and necessary one.

Do not feel like you need to take this task on. As Marm suggested, this may be more suited for someone who is willing and educated to provide that kind of help. Instead, use your connection to help him understand that there is nothing wrong, shameful or inherently ridiculous about talking to such a person as his happiness should come first. Then slap him on the shoulder, and take him out to have some fun (engage that Se together ;))

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
The best thing to do is to hire some prostitutes for him. Bring him home to the land of facts, sexually. Then he will stop being a dumbass.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In my own personal case, I would think of a theory and then I let it go, have my say and leave it unless someone else comes back and talk about it. I do get stuck sometimes, it is still there. I just try to keep it to myself, most of the times.

What [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] said made sense to me, since I do that often at work. Sometimes my MBTI results do return with INTP, also when I spent a lot of time with an ESFJ, they remind to look at the facts first.

Well I mean a more typical form of this I witness are INTJ saying that NT intelligence or IQ scores are the only *real*intelligence, or just saying bizarre and degrading things objectifyining women to numbers as if they just can't accept that to a pretty broad extent sexual attraction is subjective, depending on individual and mass culture as well, insisting every man wants this one type of celebrity body, it freaks me out, because it's untrue, but then they imagine that people are just morally offended, at which point I am just like look you schmuck, look at the facts world wide about what is considered most attractive and how other types of intelligence are necessary. It's really profoundly delusional on their part, and yet they sit there imagining that they are so objective and honest, because they have a test score and a tv screen to point to.

That is more typical than the tin foil hat stuff, but it is this entire attitude that every thing that they think and feel must be Te.

You sound well adjusted, I don't know, I don't know you, but my grandfather invalidated me as well, saying being good at writing and having interest in the arts was wrong, since math and the military were clearly my path to success...he was ISTJ.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for your replies! I'm reading them over now.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have to actually name things that are wrong with what his is saying...if he still won't listen then, I don't know...what kinds of theories does he have, is it constant, and are you sure he has never been right?

It’s not that he’s never been right about any ideas; it’s just that he’s saying now that he’s never been wrong, which is not true at all. To give you some idea of what kinds of things he says, right after the U.S. government shut down, he told me to wait two weeks and Obama would declare himself a dictator. This was right before he said he has been predicting things for twenty years and they’re never wrong. I’ve been debating with myself since then whether or not to bring up that in fact Obama is not a dictator to show him evidence that he can be wrong, but I ultimately don’t think that will do anyone any good. Also, years ago, he drew up a map of what the world would look like by the year 2000, and it included Atlantis being raised up. For decades now, he has been keeping tons of canned and jarred food in the basement in case of some kind of apocalypse, and his most frequent gifts to his family members are survival gear.

This has been going on for DECADES. Of course he has the right to believe what he wants to believe, but the problem is that he brings up stuff all the time, mostly controversial political stuff. And he says it to people, even people he doesn’t know very well, as if his opinion is an established fact and it will be obvious to them that what he’s saying is right. And then there’s this:

It's frustrating for me because these guys often talk to other people like they are stupid assholes, but get butthurt when you give it right back.

He is exactly like this. But he has no idea about the effect that he has on people. He won’t let people peacefully disagree with him, but keeps bringing up this stuff every conversation and getting aggressive, and then gets really confused about why everyone stays away from him. I don’t think it’s intentional at all, but it’s definitely destructive.

I’ve lurking on PerC for the past couple months, and I think RobynC is a mild version of him.

This is very interesting. My family member actually has been out of work for a couple of years due to severe health problems, and he’s now on permanent disability. And now that you mention this, I realize that his paranoia and obsessions with his conspiracy theories have gotten more pronounced since this happened. The only interactions he has with people are family members and talking to people on the Internet who agree with him. It makes sense that he would not have much back-and-forth with people who challenge his ideas, and so it feeds on itself even more. Hmm . . . I’ll have to brainstorm and see if I can think of some way to encourage him to get himself out of the house and interacting with people, like through volunteering or some kind of social group that he would be interested in.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
People on the internet agree with him? That's odd. I would think he would be confronted even more stringently on line, though yeah he could locate a group of like minded conspiracy theorists.

What you are describing sounds fairly extreme...Obama will become a dictator? Mm. Good luck if Robyn is mild in comparison. Even when she is right sometimes or on to something, she has three more threads of incomprehensible paranoia.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, that’s what he says to me.

First of all, thank you so much for your insightful posts! I have a feeling I’ll be mulling them over for awhile.

Ask yourself what your goal is. I know J's like their goals.

Is it to prove him wrong? Or is it to draw him out of his isolation and give him a chance to get out of this loop?

Be honest with yourself.

It’s probably a little bit of both. I do love him and want to see him stop being so lonely and self-destructive. But it also just so happens that in a lot of cases, his political opinions are the complete opposite of mine (he talks about politics ALL THE TIME), and it really rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time to hear him say all these things that make me want to facepalm.

I appreciate what you’re saying that if I decide to take on the task of trying to give him a space to air out his ideas in front of an audience that doesn’t already agree with him and gently try to nudge him toward other ideas, that I need to have the attitude that I’m on his side and not judging him. I’ve been thinking about this, and I’m not sure that I am able to do this. I have so much history with him already, and there is some resentment toward him from the past. Also, he has a habit that as soon as anyone says anything disagreeing with him, even something as innocuous as “I have a different viewpoint than that,” he will feel judged and start reacting like he was personally attacked. It is hard when he gets like this not to start pushing back. I don’t know, maybe if I do do this, I’ll have to not mention directly that I disagree with him but only say like what you were suggesting: “how about?” or “have you considered?” ????

I’ll have to really consider carefully if I would be able to do this, and only try to do this myself if I feel like I could do it in a way that’s nonjudgmental and that will make his Fi feel safe. I don’t know how I would suggest to him to go see a therapist without him feeling judged either. He went to one once before, and he stopped when after one session, the therapist suggested he might have bipolar disorder.

I wanted to ask--you say that after I create the safe space that I should:

Encourage him with questions to create Te-benchmarks for his own Ni-hunches, and honestly help him pursue them, even when you know them to be false already

I’m not very good with Te. Can you give me more specific examples of what you mean of how to do this in a Te-style way? And what you mean by Te-benchmarks? He often emails me (and others) articles where someone is explaining certain incidents that are happening in the government and what the author’s spin is on what it means. How could I help him using these articles, for instance? (and anyone who has thoughts on this is welcome to respond too)

You're also a fellow Ni-user, and a Ti-user (which works similarly to Fi). You yourself probably understand better than anyone the kind of time and introverting it takes for Ni to re-adjust its perspective, to build a new framework with the information gathered by Xe, as well as the Truth-seeking that Xi(in your case Ti) does and how painfully slow, nitpicky and circular that can be. Give him that time. Be patient. Don't expect this to be fixed easily, and don't hold your breath for tangible results. It is a process. A slow, painful and necessary one.

Yes *sigh*. I do understand well how stubborn Ni-doms can be! I have had ideas in the past that I was ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY RIGHT ABOUT . . . and then it turned out I was totally wrong. I feel for the people who used to try to help me see that I was wrong.

Sometimes I feel like he has to be the one to break himself out of this since often with Ni-users, you feel like people don’t understand where you’re coming from or what your thought processes are that led you to this conclusion, so you can dismiss opposing information. It feels like such a monumental task since many have tried to get through to him before, including me. But this has had such a negative effect that it’s worth trying if I feel like I could.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People on the internet agree with him? That's odd. I would think he would be confronted even more stringently on line, though yeah he could locate a group of like minded conspiracy theorists.

Bingo. He doesn't go on sites that have an open kind of debate like here; it's sites for groups of people like him where they all reinforce each other's opinions. I think for the most part, it's good that people can go on the Internet and find others like them when they feel like an oddball in real life, but the downside of that is that people with extreme opinions can easily find and confine themselves to the few people who do agree with them and say "See, others agree with me! I'm right!" and the sickness is reinforced.

What you are describing sounds fairly extreme...Obama will become a dictator? Mm. Good luck if Robyn is mild in comparison. Even when she is right sometimes or on to something, she has three more threads of incomprehensible paranoia.

Thanks. I need all the luck I can get. :coffee:

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's so strange to see an INFJ caring about an INTJ. The fact that you are persistent in interacting with him, is such a foreign concept to me.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Absolute lost cause. INTJs are beyond external help, especially in Ni-Fi loops. Maybe in a while the centripetal force of his own paranoid delusions will get so intense that he'll break out of his own orbit, but who knows how long that will take, if it even happens at all.

You should also take into account that he doesn't want your help at all, and feels perfectly content wallowing in his own nonsense.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's so strange to see an INFJ caring about an INTJ. The fact that you are persistent in interacting with him, is such a foreign concept to me.

Why? Do you feel like the two types are too different?

Absolute lost cause. INTJs are beyond external help, especially in Ni-Fi loops. Maybe in a while the centripetal force of his own paranoid delusions will get so intense that he'll break out of his own orbit, but who knows how long that will take, if it even happens at all.

I'm considering that this might be the case. Stubborn Ni is stubborn. It's just hard to sit back and watch. Especially when he's not only hurting himself but everyone else who interacts with him.

You should also take into account that he doesn't want your help at all, and feels perfectly content wallowing in his own nonsense.

I think he doesn't want to change himself and doesn't think he is the problem at all. In that sense, he doesn't want help. But I know he also doesn't like that no one wants to be around him, and he wants that situation to be changed. Maybe I could talk to him from that angle--that his Te goal to have better relationships with others is not being fulfilled? I don't know.