• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I Hate Board Games

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Board games can be fun if you are with someone who is at the same level or better than you. Then you can learn and develop, and it is also interesting.

Once I went over a friend's house when I was about seven or eight years old. She wanted to play topple for hours. At first, I tried to be diplomatic and play, but after a while, I just said (in what must have been a totally arrogant-sounding voice) "Can we play something a bit more challenging? Something more intellectual?" An eight-year-old. Hell, she probably didn't even know what I meant by the word. Then she brought out Sorry! GAHHHHH!!!! I was used to playing scrabble with my grandmother, who was an English teacher. I lost like hell. But it was fun and GREAT. I was playing games like cribbage and 45s at ten and bridge at sixteen (okay, card games, but same idea). It was a challenge, and I LEARNED something. Here this kid was breaking out TOPPLE!!!

Sheesh, I would have slapped myself silly if I had seen myself back then, but being a kid, I guess I was much more honest and much less diplomatic. Damn, I was really an arrogant ass...good that I learned to calm my butt down a bit.

So I agree with the people who said that the following things matter:

1. It must be a challenging game I'm interested in. Not monopoly, where it is clear that you just buy everything in sight and buy from people too stupid to know any better. WORD games are fabulous, as are certain strategic card games.

2. You must play with people who challenge you, or it is boring as all hell.

That's my opinion, anyway.

P.S. Now I can kick all my family's butts at scrabble. So it must have taught me something. (Okay, I am also a nerd and play it to death on scrabulous, but oh well.)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I play Risk with my brothers once every few years. I usually fare pretty well, not because I have great strategy (I don't). I'm just very good at manipulating the other players into attacking each other instead of me.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I like board games and I enjoy in them.

But I want to know what people here think about Risk 2210.

I think it is a great game but other people think it is too complicated. Even some N people think like this.
On the other hand why would they want to play the game if it always ends whit my victory. I mean always as always.

I am sure that this is because others don't see all the options and there is a quite large amount ot them in all moments.

I grow up upon Real time strategy games and it looks like, that this knowledge is giving me unfair advantage in this version of risk.

What I am asking is : Is it me or INTJness?

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I like chess and card games. And dice games.

But I hate these modern plastic board games which have flashing lights and sound effects in them and are designed to be played a very certain way.

MerkW

Anyone who claims to hate board games has clearly never played 3-D Chess in his/her life.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
I remember playing 3d Battle Chess when I was younger.

And so began my journey into the land of violent video games...

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I enjoy Monopoly, but really clean up in Balderdash and its variants.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I enjoy board games quite a bit, but not just any board game. Monopoly bores the crap out of me.

I love:

Apples To Apples
Cranium
Scrabble
Balderdash
Catchphrase
Trivial Pursuit (or any trivia game)

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love board games, in fact I'd play one over a computer-based game anyday of the week. I guess I've always found the systems involved in playing a board game fascinating. One game that I've really enjoyed recently is called "Ticket to Ride", I like it because it has a good balance of luck and skill, and encourages the player to analyse their next move/s (much like chess), I'd highly recommend it.

Usehername

On a mission
If we're counting chess as a board game, then I like chess. I guess in my mind I was only thinking multi-player games.

Kanerou

MBTI Type
_NFP
I hate board games. Except for Balderdash. That's fun. :D

Really, I don't understand the point of board games. You roll dice, you move; your chances of winning depend greatly upon chance. I'd prefer something I have more control over. I prefer social games like Taboo.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really, I don't understand the point of board games. You roll dice, you move; your chances of winning depend greatly upon chance. I'd prefer something I have more control over.

Usually that's my issue too. The more random it is, the less it seems *I* need to be playing, anyone could fill in for me. The more strategy that can be used, the more I enjoy it.

So games like Yahtzee really piss me off. Even with the strategy of where to place points and take losses, there's too much randomnity to please me.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Usually that's my issue too. The more random it is, the less it seems *I* need to be playing, anyone could fill in for me. The more strategy that can be used, the more I enjoy it.

So games like Yahtzee really piss me off. Even with the strategy of where to place points and take losses, there's too much randomnity to please me.

Generally I like games where there is both randomness and strategy. Most card games qualify as do strategy board games like Risk, Axis and Allies, etc....

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I am a Scrabble lover. :D
I never played the game Risk but I think I'd like it- I'm due to play it sometime this summer once I get enough people interested.
I like playing Poker- unlike Scrabble, it's fun and almost required to be a jackass in the process.

Any CandyLand fans here?
I personally abhor the game but I hear a lot of cool cats really like Candy Land.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Connect 4 and Cluedo rock.

Sometimes its more fun to add another dimension to a board game. Recently I was playing an INTJ at Guess Who where you could not ask black and white questions. You couldn't ask "Is your person wearing a hat?" it had to be something like, "Does your person smoke drugs?" "Is your person a dog or cat person?" "Has your person ever taken it anally?"

Though it was my idea, the INTJ wiped the floor with me at this game.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always find myself bored or irritably impatient with board games too. Card games also, although the first few times I play/learn such a game it's great, but after that it's "been there, done that, blah"

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I like board games and I enjoy in them.

But I want to know what people here think about Risk 2210.

I think it is a great game but other people think it is too complicated. Even some N people think like this.
On the other hand why would they want to play the game if it always ends whit my victory. I mean always as always.

I am sure that this is because others don't see all the options and there is a quite large amount ot them in all moments.

I grow up upon Real time strategy games and it looks like, that this knowledge is giving me unfair advantage in this version of risk.

What I am asking is : Is it me or INTJness?

That board game! That game's ridiculous! It has a moon and commanders and a whole bunch of other nonsense on top of risk. I played half a game of that once because the first game of anything always takes forever. I remember I transported 2 or my 3 commanders to the moon to take it over not knowing I would need a freakin card to get them back! Way too many rules! It had promise though...

I hate to tell you guys but the best game ever is Die Siedler von Catan! Me and my friends have played 200+ games of that in the last two years and we show no signs of stopping. It's so well balanced and suits all personality types and playing styles equally. If you're diplomatic you can get people to make really good trades with you. :)

Heck we just got another expansion Traders and Barbarians. It's not quite as core as Seafarers and Cities & Knights but we'll see once I've gotten a chance to play more. We also have Das Buch which is a collection of innovative but ultimately flawed variants of Settlers.

We make sure to let everyone we know have a chance at the game. One of my friends got his ESFP girlfriend in on it. She won the first game but I chalk it up to beginners luck. I've won every single other game we've played against her.

For anyone curious

YouTube - Settlers of Catan

Other than that I can't stand board games. Too much competition and I have too little control over it all. I like the fact that in Settlers you have the random element of the dice and cards but you also have the strategic element of trades and building. So good!

Anyway, I especially hate one on one games. "I'm gonna screw you over!" "No, I'm gonna screw YOU over!"

I found it funny that one of the people on here into Apples 2 Apples is an INTJ! What a very unINTJ game! The more you know though right?