Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Why do people hate INTJs?

They seem to be viewed as narcissistic elitists by many people of other types (or perhaps even by some within their own type), and I'm wondering how accurate these perceptions really may be, or why people actually develop them to begin with.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

People tend to dislike the damage that can be wrought by a narcissistic elite, it just so happens that a lot of people who identify as INTJ are narcissistic elitists.

Not that this necessarily means that those people are correctly typed.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    People tend to dislike the damage that can be wrought by a narcissistic elite, it just so happens that a lot of people who identify as INTJ are narcissistic elitists.

Not that this necessarily means that those people are correctly typed.
    Hmm, interesting... so which types might mistype as such (besides myself, and also I did the same for ISTP).
    Likes CoDy liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Hmm, interesting... so which types might mistype as such (besides myself, and also I did the same for ISTP).
    People mistype I don't think there is a precedent for a certain type as such, although others will probably disagree and I have heard things such as "INFP's are the most indecisive about their type".
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    They seem to be viewed as narcissistic elitists by many people of other types (or perhaps even by some within their own type), and I'm wondering how accurate these perceptions really may be, or why people actually develop them to begin with.
    They are as accurate as they can be to each individual.

They are just what you said. Perceptions

I find the whole idea to be overplayed

I don't see them as narcissists. Prolly cause I am one myself.

And so what if I like myself better than others????

People develop these perceptions because they are taking it personally for some reason.

An INTJ is probably the most willing to change their beliefs based on proper evidence...I would say that's the opposite of narcissism.

They may come off as full of themselves...because they actually know what the hell they're talking about, and are sure of it.

INTJ's are looking for self improvement all the time, unless they're an unhealthy INTJ.

That's my perception.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

WALMART

Ni's primary attribute is that of a priori knowledge.

There is no reasoning that can confict with a belief self-evident. It is a supremely annoying state of human existence.

You're off about the evidence thing, @Inari Love. That's Se's domain.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Ni's primary attribute is that of a priori knowledge.

There is no reasoning that can confict with a belief self-evident. It is a supremely annoying state of human existence.

You're off about the evidence thing, @Inari Love. That's Se's domain.
    Ha ha I get the gist you're not fond of a priori knowledge ?

Can you expand on the Se?
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Enneagram
    9w8

One of my best friends, and I do mean a person in my inner circle, is and INTJ [in fact, he keeps texting my phone while I'm trying to type this], and I don't see him as a narcissistic elitist. I see a certain humility in him. He doesn't mince his words. He says what he means, means what he says and a lot of people are "put off" by that, but I like him for it. I know that's hard to explain, but he will admit when he doesn't know something and he will then set out to change that fact if it's something that he deems important. I admit that I don't know many INTJs but the ones I do know, I like.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Ha ha I get the gist you're not fond of a priori knowledge ?

Can you expand on the Se?
    I'm not fond of it much at all. I find it responsible for many transgressions against humanity as a species. Take this poll, for example - http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t296002/

The only real defense I could posit against it is that some anti-INTJ fringe group conducted poll fraud. I probably have good arguments for anything else that could be construed (yes, I think about it a lot).

Pardon my abstraction from most outlets of the theory, but Se and Ni are two theoretical poles against each other - the best analogous expression I've been able to come up with is that Se is environmental and Ni is egotistical. So while extraverted sensors look for external factors to evidence beliefs and reasoning, Ni types rely on their intuitive (re: unevidenced) perceptions of existence. You can see how Se types are primed for freshly rationalizing a situation while Ni types will be stuck in an ideological rut, running countercurrent to your prior statement.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Similar to why people don't like ESTJs. As I understand it:

- ESTJs have the best sense of what is correct, until proven otherwise
    - INTJs are the "smartest"*, until proven otherwise

IME that "default" sense is pretty common in both types -- and that can bother some people.

*an approximation; not exactly correct, I know, but I'm not an INTJ
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!