• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Why do people hate INTJs?

mhc

MBTI Type
INtP
"Well, I don't think the problem is in the judgment, so much as it's in the lack of receptiveness to criticism and the acceptance of individuality."

Maybe the criticism comes from being judged. if one is insecure in who they think they are, any judgment could be perceived as a threat to ones own believe of who they are. By this same logic, maybe if one is emotionally detached from judgment, it is because they are confident in knowing who they are.

perhaps the judger does not understand the emotions caused in others for being judged, because the judger assumes that others have the same understanding of ones self, and would not understand the cause of conflict with the judgee, as the judge is only trying to find likeness in others??

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Why do you have a hard time understanding them? Can you give us an example?

Pretty much every single thing Coriolis said and a few specifics I have witnessed....

Ridiculous fears. Such as certain stores they've never been in or a fear of finishing work or a project too early because they will have "early completion remorse". I don't even grasp that on any level.

Things happening to them such as having a house foreclosed, a vehicle repossessed or other major financial issues and they absolutely do not ever do anything different to prevent such things in the future. Nothing. Like they are hoping it will happen again.

Winging it on a level completely mind boggling to anyone else. I mean leaving for a cross country trip with a 1/8 tank of gas or constantly running out of toilet paper. I don't even want to know how you wing that.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have always been able to understand the misunderstanding part much better than the intimidation factor. Why, when people misunderstand us, don't they instead find us rude, or weird, or stupid, or even laughable rather than intimidating? Intimidation implies an element of fear or threat, which seems to go well beyond simple misunderstanding. Do people really feel threatened, and if so, by what??

Because of Te.

You state things in an objective, detached and unmovable way. And in the proccess you come off rigid. allknowing, arrogant and narrowminded. Just like Fe for that matter. You do not seem open to discussing alternatives though youre likely more up for it than a Ti user would be. There is a certain 'this is the way things are ' which is amplified times ten by your succinctness and lack of focus on the social realm - in other words, your focus is on the situation youre discussing and not on the communication youre autopiloting, leaving the other person feeling like an ant encountering a boot. More over, Ni isnt exactly something most people have access to AND it makes you guys SUCK at both realising youre not providing the other person with enough information to verifiy the conclusion as well as suck at elaborating when specifically asked.

And if that aint enough, your general love for efficieny, execution, addressing a problem, and intolerance for what you consider endless debate, inane questions and repetition, not to mention general indifference as to whether the other person agrees with you and general tendency to consider people useless or morons when they cannot reach -to you - obvious conclusions doesnt exactly do much to rectify your impatient, mystically allknowing yet callous, ruthless, competently dangerous evil overlord impression. Its hard to predict something you do not understand and is potentially too hard and harmful to scout. And when such things cannot be avoided, they fit the definition of a trigger of stress perfectly. Iow, its the definition of the worst type of obstacle you can encounter.

In short: your competence coupled with access to knowledge you seem to pull out of thin air and your apparent unwillingness to share that source as well as your generally perceived disregard for accountability to others on top of your unwillingness to prioritize the person in your communication raise a red flag. Its a culmination of little things.

And dont take this badly, but they are the traits of a lethal predator. Istps suffer from the same problem,btw.

Still wondering why people are intimidated, scared or at the very least uncomfortable and mildly offended when talking to you?

:coffee:

Permabanned
Pretty much every single thing Coriolis said and a few specifics I have witnessed....

Ridiculous fears. Such as certain stores they've never been in or a fear of finishing work or a project too early because they will have "early completion remorse". I don't even grasp that on any level.

Things happening to them such as having a house foreclosed, a vehicle repossessed or other major financial issues and they absolutely do not ever do anything different to prevent such things in the future. Nothing. Like they are hoping it will happen again.

Winging it on a level completely mind boggling to anyone else. I mean leaving for a cross country trip with a 1/8 tank of gas or constantly running out of toilet paper. I don't even want to know how you wing that.

nhryj85

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha, access to knowledge we seem to pull out of thin air. LOL :happy2:

sounds familiar.

rav3n

Consider how INTJs lead with subjective, introverted Ni. So their first coping strategy sources from their subjective inner landscape. With aux of Te which is enslaved to the focus of their subjective dominant function of Ni, it's used to confirm bias and control environment, instead of evaluating objective reality against internal subjective landscape.

Their defense mechanism when younger where it becomes a coping strategy as they mature, is Fi which is a rigid black and white, value based decision maker. Once again, it's an introverted function which means that there's no objective criteria that it sources from.

Add in Se as their inferior function, where it knee jerks like all other inferior functions, which means it manifests in behaviours like crass lusting (crude comments that lack the inference of flirtation) and greed (eating too much, love of money for money sakes, acquisition mentality of people, etc.).

Is it surprising that people don't like immature INTJs? This doesn't mean that INTJs can't mature to healthy, happy and likable adults but it appears to take more time for INTJs because their dom and relief functions cause them to be too inside their heads.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because of Te.

You state things in an objective, detached and unmovable way. And in the proccess you come off rigid. allknowing, arrogant and narrowminded.

Yes to Amargith's entire post. I live with an INTJ and he can be quite infuriating because when in a discussion (which quickly escalates into an argument) he expresses himself as if he is 100% correct, every time.

To his benefit tho, he often steps aside, contemplates, then comes back with more flexibility with his pov. Maybe it depends on the ratio of J to P in the person.

A

Anew Leaf

Consider how INTJs lead with subjective, introverted Ni. So their first coping strategy sources from their subjective inner landscape. With aux of Te which is enslaved to the focus of their subjective dominant function of Ni, it's used to confirm bias and control environment, instead of evaluating objective reality against internal subjective landscape.

Their defense mechanism when younger where it becomes a coping strategy as they mature, is Fi which is a rigid black and white, value based decision maker. Once again, it's an introverted function which means that there's no objective criteria that it sources from.

Add in Se as their inferior function, where it knee jerks like all other inferior functions, which means it manifests in behaviours like crass lusting (crude comments that lack the inference of flirtation) and greed (eating too much, love of money for money sakes, acquisition mentality of people, etc.).

Is it surprising that people don't like immature INTJs? This doesn't mean that INTJs can't mature to healthy, happy and likable adults but it appears to take more time for INTJs because their dom and relief functions cause them to be too inside their heads.

Very beautifully thought out. I think it's even sadder when the immature INTJ is well into their 40's or 50's and still has these issues.

Otherwise I think INTJs age like fine wines.... getting better with age so long as they are able to learn how to balance that inner realm of irrationality with actual reality instead of just using whatever bits they find to fit their ideas.

Jaguar

And if that aint enough, your general love for efficieny, execution, addressing a problem, and intolerance for what you consider endless debate, inane questions and repetition, not to mention general indifference as to whether the other person agrees with you and general tendency to consider people useless or morons when they cannot reach -to you - obvious conclusions doesnt exactly do much to rectify your impatient, mystically allknowing yet callous, ruthless, competently dangerous evil overlord impression.

So, what's the problem?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People mistype I don't think there is a precedent for a certain type as such, although others will probably disagree and I have heard things such as "INFP ENFP's are the most indecisive about their type".

Fixed.

@ OP About the whole INTJ hate thing. I don't share it. I think it has something to do with their Ni/Te. It's like they know something and know it and also think that you don't know what they know and may appear smug about it, ya know?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate looking like a know-it-all to people, but I know I'm often perceived that way. It takes conscious effort for the INTJ to make sure they aren't acting like jerks. Got to remember to switch perspectives and look at things the way the other party would see them.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still wondering why people are intimidated, scared or at the very least uncomfortable and mildly offended when talking to you?
Offended and uncomfortable I can understand, but I don't see what is scary or threatening about any of what you have (mostly correctly) summarized, unless it's just fear of the unknown, as others have mentioned.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes, people just want to punch you in the face.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Offended and uncomfortable I can understand, but I don't see what is scary or threatening about any of what you have (mostly correctly) summarized, unless it's just fear of the unknown, as others have mentioned.

Fear of the unknown is certainly a factor.

People dont like talking to a predator. It is a stupid thing to do. They might use what you say against you- especially if they seem to only need a little information and somehow magically get a hold of the rest. For that matter, even if youre secure enough that you can handle yourself, is not fun to endure that kind of conversation where yoy feel like the ant.Not to mention its a fucking useless convo as they refuse to share the info and make you feel like a moron in the process.

But most importantly, our species is a collaborative one. And it is the failure or refusal or unawareness of the need to establish an actual rapport to foster even the most basic trust between you and your tribesmen that is at the base of their response to you, and at the base for their - imho at least somewhat legitimate - perception of you being a potential threat.

People pleasing and accomodation is the norm in a multi-individualed culture like ours - one you dont even seem aware of or if you are, you seem to indicate that all the bending and flexing should come from the other person. That kind of behavior is normally only employed when there is no time to argue and people are expected to fall in line for their own good -and preferably by a leader who has already proven he has the groups wellbeing in mind and has earned goodwill from most of the people there. It s an almost instinctual response. So what is it the intj is seeing but not sharing that requires this falling in line - especially as building goodwill is bypassed. It must be urgent and important as he seems quite serious, adamant, confident about this and competent.

And, can i trust him at all, considering the conversation gave me the feeling that im just a pawn to him anyways. A stupid one at that. Is my wellbeing even considered by this person or am i just collateral damage. Iow, the herdlike insecurity you -as an intj- cause in a person can target their self esteem, their sense of safety, cause paranoia and other fears. Which in turn leads to resentment and feeling like a fool making you the asshole who stressed them apparently just for fun, just coz you couldnt take two seconds, focus on the connection with the person in front of you, establish some goodwill through that warm focus and make them realise you do recognize them as one of your own instead of as an object, prey or cannon fodder.

Its kind of normal to be part of the group and demonstrate that you are as a social animal so others know where they stand with you, and what to expect from you. And that natural need and communication of that kind of basic reassurance seems to pass you by. Which in turn is likely to get you the 'who the fuck are you response fom assertive people and fear, paranoia and avoidance from those that are conflict avoided.

in essence, you're depriving them now of two pieces of information: the information you get through Ni about the situation, and information as to their status with you (Fe information). Lack of information can get you killed. And someone who seems to be deliberately withholding that information from you doesn't exactly inspire a lot of trust, so the INTjs ulterior motives and agendas will be speculated on to make up for the gap in information they're creating.

It's the difference between being invited to an audience with the Godfather, with you sitting down in front of him and him staring you down as he lays out how it's going to be - without informing you what he intends to do with you afterwards, and having a friendly chat with someone you just met who is smiling and inviting you to sit right next to her on a bench. You bet it is threatening and intimidating.

Disclaimer: this is meant as a description of what goes on between people who don't know each other and in a situation where the INTJ would not naturally show warmth towards this person - because he is too young/unaware to use Fi properly, too preoccupied with the situation, too new to this person to display any warmth yet, whatever it be - and a person who expects at least some rapport - be it coz it is a group setting, or a personal setting. Business is often the dominion of Te and there this kind of interaction usually works better as the hierarchy isn't established by group or personal connections; it's established by the position you hold in the company (though even there you can encounter the problem with colleagues in a more informal setting, like during a lunch break).

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does Coriolis have Fe and not Fi?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A few things come to mind here. I think it may be a combination of some of these which are various times take on different levels of importance with different INTJs exhibiting more or less of these characteristics:
- Brevity and directness of communication style
- A tendency to confront when we disagree
- The context shift, which involves bringing up a different point of view
- A tendency to not acknowledge what the other person is saying
- If 10 things are said and we disagree with 1 point in 10, that's what we focus on; people don't realize we actually agree on those 9 points
- A failure to explain our thinking or reasoning

That outward communications style can mislead people into thinking we're not open to or listening to what they are saying.

Can you explain the 4th point more?

I often find myself getting so agitated on the inside about others repeating themselves...

It really bothers me that they think I don't hear them. I hear everything. I just have my eye on the prize and if I have to put my pointer finger up or say hold on...I lose my thought. And have to start from the beginning again. I despise these types of situations at work. I am constantly telling people if I don't answer you... it's cause I'm in the middle of something. I will get back to you and look you in the eye in 5 mins. They don't seem to get it though, even though I have never said hold on and NOT gotten back to them...therefore disproving any sort of paranoia that I don't pay attention to them.. *eye twitches* I still feel like it's an insult to my intelligence that they get upset and repeat themselves just because I didn't stop everything that I'm doing to apply the proper social protocols immediately... -_-

Do INTJ's not acknowledge ppl at all...? Or? idk do you have examples?

So you think the perceived lack of openness is the root of the feeling of intimidation?

I don't really think it's lack of openness. It's the perceived part that matters. I think it's lack of caring about social protocol. ntj's have priorities that don't involve people. That kills peoples' egos. Ego is something that we use as a defense mechanism as to not get hurt. When ego is hurt...then people are really hurt. It's their own insecurities getting in their way.

I have to say that I have tried to put myself in a feelers shoes...specifically an isfj's that I know. And they are having feelings...like...all day :shock: more than I would be comfortable with. So they base a lot of their decisions off of "what feeling" they get off a person. Or you could just say "What vibe" they get. If I was primarily basing my decisions off of what kind of vibe I got from someone...I could see how intj's don't give off any vibe...therefore I can't appropriately make a decision in response to them. That lack of control would bother me. Therefore the intj would have a little bit of power in that respect over me. Power often creates intimidation, hence why I could sorta understand why ppl could be intimidated.

That is, coming from an E6/breaking it down in my Te lingo pov lol

I know that is often the case, but there's got to be more to it than that. I have a hard time understanding ESFs, for instance, but I hardly find them intimidating.

Nah, people are not complicated, unfortunately. It's probably just that simple.

I often dislike when people tell me I'm overanalyzing something...but in this situation...you're probably overanalyzing :laugh: I don't think that it's much more than their fear getting the best of them. In a sense it's like people can't read other people without the proper social gestures being displayed. People probably feel out of control, cause they cannot predict how an intj will react, so the lack of control makes them feel fear.

This is all just me guessing though.

Amargith seems to know what she's talking about. I have found that she has defined a great deal of why people don't understand Te or Ni in this thread.

"Well, I don't think the problem is in the judgment, so much as it's in the lack of receptiveness to criticism and the acceptance of individuality."

Maybe the criticism comes from being judged. if one is insecure in who they think they are, any judgment could be perceived as a threat to ones own believe of who they are. By this same logic, maybe if one is emotionally detached from judgment, it is because they are confident in knowing who they are.

perhaps the judger does not understand the emotions caused in others for being judged, because the judger assumes that others have the same understanding of ones self, and would not understand the cause of conflict with the judgee, as the judge is only trying to find likeness in others??

If you are saying that people just need to remember that not everyone thinks like them then I agree...that would help to solve some of the problem.
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION]

Again, your insight is always appreciated. :)

mhc

MBTI Type
INtP
If you are saying that people just need to remember that not everyone thinks like them then I agree...that would help to solve some of the problem.

yes that exactly what i meant. people will always remain infinitely different to one another, and the only definite likeness one can ultimately find is in themselves. If everyone were to practice acceptance, and actually accept others for who they are, the infinitely different ideas brought forth by people from the infinite source of knowledge could then be utilised.

or

no idea is not worthy of attention or worthy of inattention, except the idea that thinks another idea is

also

ultimately, the only one that is actually capable of doing anything to one is one. or even if you hate another, you are hating yourself in that person or you are hating yourself or you hate what you see in that person as you hate that about yourself etc etc. all examples of flawed reasonings. you are everything, love it or hate it, an idea that you can debate on a humanly scale if you want.