• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Why do people hate INTJs?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]

My thoughts haven't changed in months. These are the same things I've been expressing for some time, perhaps you have simply had time to understand why you don't like it.

Yes, or I don't read all of your posts, but now have ran into enough of them to see how dumb your views are.

Or perhaps you just better expressed their stupidity in that series of posts.

Either way, they demonstrate a very weak understanding of typology.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everything that's wrong with INTJs (some INTJs, not all-- maybe most, who knows-- either way depends on the person) comes from that goddamn tert Fi. Present an INTJ with information that doesn't quite line up with their Te worldview, and the tert Fi generator kicks in automatically to explode with so much self righteous indignation and sarcastic contempt that it feels like you just broke open a pinata full of thirteen year old girls. All that cold logic and reason and desire to better oneself goes completely out the window if whatever they are presented with contradicts one of their Fi values, regardless of how rationally constructed that value happens to be. This is where a lot of their perceived stereotypical narcissism comes from, and the biggest area of weakness in most INTJs, IMO.

The ones I know that are able to better deal with this aspect of their MBTI are solid individuals, though. They are a very thin minority, however. :thumbup:

The same thing as you mentioned in the bolded could also apply to INTPs in regards to the correctness of our logical systems, as most do indeed seem to get trapped under the idea that their particular methods of reasoning are the only perspective to think from. Perhaps they aren't as arrogant in comparison to many supposed INTJs, but they could be just as much if not more closed-minded.

Still, I actually made a very good argument the other day about how INTPs can come in both closed-minded and open-minded varieties (or perhaps a mixture of both in various areas, as you can see in my below quotes:

I can't tell whether [MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION] is more boxed or [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] is more arrogant, but clearly INTPs have egos in regards to their logic, and INTJs have egos in regards to their perceptions (and perhaps rightfully so to an extent; INTPs are after all very logical, and INTJs very perceptive).

I'm going to speculate that in regards to INTPs and INTJs, the INTJs overall are more open-minded, and the most closed-minded person of the 2 will be an INTP, but the most open-minded person of them all I would actually guess to be an INTP as well.

I say this because powerful reasoning directed towards exploring endless contingencies can really expand our horizons, but powerful reasoning directed towards justifying subjective systems could really get us trapped. INTPs have the most potential in my opinion to go either of those 2 ways.

If we take 2 people very commonly typed as INTP like say, Albert Einstein and Gottfried Leibniz, we can see this exact same phenomenon I outlined; Einstein only accepted what fit his own internal constructions, whereas Leibniz was boundlessly curious about everything and developed a highly holistic worldview in a glorious attempt to completely understand the universe. This metaphysics was way ahead of its time, perhaps rivaled only by Giordano Bruno's cosmology, that and perhaps the philosophy of Nietzsche.

I think I just made a very solid argument here for the above points, and I'm completely open for counter-arguments; I actually love good challenges!

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...4640&page=10&p=2157995&viewfull=1#post2157995

Just because I say something doesn't mean I believe its correctness to be complete, nor does it mean I understand the basic foundations of Typology. Still, to learn, we just have to keep on talking. The evidence for this is simple: when ancient societies began using advanced forms of communication, like writing, human development went skyrocketing exponentially through the roof. It's only logical then that if we continue to shine forth our presentations, no matter how fallible they may be in nature, our overall levels of reasoning and enlightenment will be better refined.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...4640&page=11&p=2158335&viewfull=1#post2158335

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If he actually had the time to back up his statements, like he does when arguing with various other members, we could take his criticisms against your competence in Typology more seriously, but apparently, his ego says it isn't worth the effort. That's actually pretty good evidence in favor of why people might hate INTJs in relation to being narcissistic.

But still, this is only speculation on my part; whether or not that's how Zara really feels about this remains a mystery, at least until if and when he actually decides to elucidate what's "wrong" with your reasoning.

No, that's about right.

I don't have time to explicitly lay out why every inaccurate thought/claim is wrong.

If calling out its stupidity is all I have time for, then that is what I'll do.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, that's about right.

I don't have time to explicitly lay out why every inaccurate thought/claim is wrong.

Would you welcome the same treatment?

W

WALMART

No, that's about right.

Please, when you get a chance, address my concerns. I would like to expand upon what I know.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te can come across as assuming the person they are talking to doesn't know the things they know. This can appear condescending. The fact that you know something doesn't mean other people don't know it too.

The thing that bothers me the most is lack of explanation. This is supremely arrogant, because you're invalidating the other person's reasoning process and telling them to ignore it. Facts aren't just facts; they need rational structure to tie them together. You can throw fifteen facts together and they won't mean anything without something coherently linking them. If I disagree with you and that's that, you don't have a dialogue, and neither person learns anything. If you disagree with my reasoning and provide no explanation, I have no reason to change my mind. It's counterproductive behavior all around.

There are a few INTJ's on here I really like, who don't have these tendencies.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not fond of it much at all. I find it responsible for many transgressions against humanity as a species. Take this poll, for example - http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t296002/

Some INTJs are not open to changing their mind at all, and new information or reasoning or experiences can't possibly convince them. They'll to you you're wrong, without actually refuting anything you've said. They have a Fi conviction (which can be less cuddly than that of the aux or dom Fi types), supported by Ni, and that's all that matters. And it's not that hard for me to form a conceptual link between that and the, um, denizens of that particularly internet community.

Others seem to be able to more adaptable, and more open to learning new things. They view discussions as tools for expanding understanding and gaining fresh insights, rather than a competition or an attempt to prove personal specialness. Those INTJs are awesome, and I'm glad they are around.

I think Ni can be a really cool function, but it has to be connected with the outside world. Maybe that's true for all of the introverted functions, though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te can come across as assuming the person they are talking to doesn't know the things they know. This can appear condescending. The fact that you know something doesn't mean other people don't know it too.

I'm completely fine with people stating the obvious, just to make things more clear. Other people though who are more worried about respect for their intelligence, along with having a dislike for details may think differently.

The thing that bothers me the most is lack of explanation. This is supremely arrogant, because you're invalidating the other person's reasoning process and telling them to ignore it. Facts aren't just facts; they need rational structure to tie them together. You can throw fifteen facts together and they won't mean anything without something coherently linking them. If I disagree with you and that's that, you don't have a dialogue, and neither person learns anything. If you disagree with my reasoning and provide no explanation, I have no reason to change my mind. It's counterproductive behavior all around.

This idea can be explained quite simply with the anology of legos; the pieces by themselves aren't worth too much, but if you can put them all together into a construct, then they become something.

There are a few INTJ's on here I really like, who don't have these tendencies.

Who in particular do you have in mind?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because people are INTPs.

Do you think then that INTP is the type which "hates" (conflicts with) INTJ's the most?

I know Ti and Te clash quite a bit.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Facts aren't just facts; they need rational structure to tie them together. You can throw fifteen facts together and they won't mean anything without something coherently linking them. If I disagree with you and that's that, you don't have a dialogue, and neither person learns anything. If you disagree with my reasoning and provide no explanation, I have no reason to change my mind. It's counterproductive behavior all around.

Agreed.... this is something that some INTJs do that bugs me. Because, like, if I was intelligent, I should have understood whatever they said without an explanation. That's not gonna fly with me, baby. This cat don't roll that way.

Do you think then that INTP is the type which "hates" (conflicts with) INTJ's the most?

I don't even know if it's Te as much as it is Fi.

Again, though, there are a lot of INTJs here I really like.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure Fi has a lot to do with it. The INTJ's who are easy to get along with usually have well developed Fi, or at least are not in a tertiary loop.

Nicodemus

I think [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] is the person that hates and loves INTJs the most. You know the dynamic:

One_Ring_inscription.svg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] is the person that hates and loves INTJs the most. You know the dynamic:

One_Ring_inscription.svg
01-1151_l.jpg

The external data I was referring to was the Te that INTJ's have.

Any unhealthiness shown in type is mostly because the person's not incorporating their auxillary function in their lives as much as they should be.
Te is not data; it is a judgment function that can and should be used to assess the merits of Ni visions. You are correct that this will not happen in someone with underdeveloped aux.

Everything that's wrong with INTJs (some INTJs, not all-- maybe most, who knows-- either way depends on the person) comes from that goddamn tert Fi. Present an INTJ with information that doesn't quite line up with their Te worldview, and the tert Fi generator kicks in automatically to explode with so much self righteous indignation and sarcastic contempt that it feels like you just broke open a pinata full of thirteen year old girls. All that cold logic and reason and desire to better oneself goes completely out the window if whatever they are presented with contradicts one of their Fi values, regardless of how rationally constructed that value happens to be.
That worldview comes from Ni, not Te. What you are describing sounds more like a Ni-Fi loop, where the Fi-valuation of the worldview remains uncorrected by objective Te analysis.

The thing that bothers me the most is lack of explanation. This is supremely arrogant, because you're invalidating the other person's reasoning process and telling them to ignore it.
This is contradictory. It is when I assume someone doesn't know something that I will bother to explain. If I don't explain something, it is because I assume the other person does know it. My assumption could be incorrect either way, but this is opposite from what you are describing.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thread originally when I just checked in here 2 minutes ago say that there were 37 guests, which was absolutely mind-blowing; :shock: of course, now it's down to 33. :(

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
That worldview comes from Ni, not Te.

The worldview is gathered with Ni/Se, but assembled with Te/Fi. I tend to assign more casualty to the judging functions, and typically more malevolent casualty to the less developed judging functions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is contradictory. It is when I assume someone doesn't know something that I will bother to explain. If I don't explain something, it is because I assume the other person does know it. My assumption could be incorrect either way, but this is opposite from what you are describing.
Well, you are one of the INTJ's who do explain things, so it wouldn't apply to you. I don't think the first would apply to you either, as you've never come across to me as a know-it-all.

Lack of explanation when there is disagreement is the point in question, or when the theory is particularly nebulous and Ni to the extreme. It becomes an issue only if I ask for clarification and it's not given.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you are one of the INTJ's who do explain things, so it wouldn't apply to you. I don't think the first would apply to you either, as you've never come across to me as a know-it-all.

Lack of explanation when there is disagreement is the point in question, or when the theory is particularly nebulous and Ni to the extreme. It becomes an issue only if I ask for clarification and it's not given.
I am not objecting because I feel your description does not apply to me. I am objecting because on the one hand you are saying INTJs assume other people don't know what they themselves know, and on the other hand that INTJs don't give explanations. Or it that your point - that INTJs readily allow others to continue on in ignorance?

I for one do tend to assume people know more than they do. Assuming they do not know seems tantamount to considering them ignorant or even stupid, and no self-respecting INTJ would harbor such a view about his/her fellow humans. This means people sometimes ask me to explain myself, but I am usually happy to oblige.

The worldview is gathered with Ni/Se, but assembled with Te/Fi. I tend to assign more casualty to the judging functions, and typically more malevolent casualty to the less developed judging functions.
All four functions are indeed involved, with Ni/Se being the perceiving functions. Ni visions don't arise in a vacuum, but are influenced by everything the person has ever learned or experienced. This doesn't mean any of it is based on fact, though. Ni is so much stronger than Se, its perceptions really do seem to have come out of nowhere oftentimes. The role of Te/Fi is not so much assembly as evaluation and correction. The assembly happens effortlessly within Ni itself. It seems valid to associate causality with the judging functions, though especially Je, since that is what will translate or apply the Ni output in the outside world.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not objecting because I feel your description does not apply to me. I am objecting because on the one hand you are saying INTJs assume other people don't know what they themselves know, and on the other hand that INTJs don't give explanations. Or it that your point - that INTJs readily allow others to continue on in ignorance?

I for one do tend to assume people know more than they do. Assuming they do not know seems tantamount to considering them ignorant or even stupid, and no self-respecting INTJ would harbor such a view about his/her fellow humans. This means people sometimes ask me to explain myself, but I am usually happy to oblige.
It's not only INTJ's who assume other people don't know things. I've noticed it in ISFJ's, ENTJ's, and ENFJ's as well. It's probably just a Je thing. In these instances people are perfectly happy to explain what they are saying, it's just unsolicited.

This is an entirely separate behavior, which occurs in different situations. I think you were combining the things I said; they were supposed to be separate points. The first refers to facts (which the INTJ is perfectly happy to talk about), and the second refers to opinions and theories (which are more potentially threatening to Fi).

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm completely fine with people stating the obvious, just to make things more clear. Other people though who are more worried about respect for their intelligence, along with having a dislike for details may think differently.

This idea can be explained quite simply with the anology of legos; the pieces by themselves aren't worth too much, but if you can put them all together into a construct, then they become something.

Who in particular do you have in mind?

I'm not completely fine with stating the obvious. It's tedious and draining

The pieces are already connected for Ni.

Ti and Ni clash. They're practically opposites.

Whatever one finds relevant...the other finds irrelevant...and visa versa.

They don't. "People" hate and fear what they reject in themselves.

Or were you still thinking typology is about other people.

New name of all threads. ever.

"Why do people hate themselves?"

Agreed.... this is something that some INTJs do that bugs me. Because, like, if I was intelligent, I should have understood whatever they said without an explanation. That's not gonna fly with me, baby. This cat don't roll that way.

Again, though, there are a lot of INTJs here I really like.

Why does it bug you so?

01-1151_l.jpg

Te is not data; it is a judgment function that can and should be used to assess the merits of Ni visions. You are correct that this will not happen in someone with underdeveloped aux.

Yea, I didnt' really complete my sentence there. ..did I... (I'm trying to be ironic, I think I assumed that we all know that Te doesn't provide the data, but formulates/assembles/organizes and says this is why this is right and this is why this is wrong) <_< ... >_> lol? irony...anybody...get it??

Well that's ok I'll laugh at myself.

All four functions are indeed involved, with Ni/Se being the perceiving functions. Ni visions don't arise in a vacuum, but are influenced by everything the person has ever learned or experienced. This doesn't mean any of it is based on fact, though. Ni is so much stronger than Se, its perceptions really do seem to have come out of nowhere oftentimes. The role of Te/Fi is not so much assembly as evaluation and correction. The assembly happens effortlessly within Ni itself. It seems valid to associate causality with the judging functions, though especially Je, since that is what will translate or apply the Ni output in the outside world.

Hmm...so maybe that's what's different.

You are saying that Je doesn't assemble...as much as correct...

I was definately thinking that it did.... I see my error :thinking:

I keep forgetting that Ni is similar to Si in the way it stores information.