User Tag List

First 2836373839404888 Last

Results 371 to 380 of 1035

  1. #371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Your fire prevention example was very interesting.
    But I'm not sure why INTJs would be the only people in all of the 16 types that think about these things.
    They're not.

    Next thing you know, someone will tell you only INTJs go to Star Trek conventions.
    Think.

  2. #372
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Actually, Z Buck (INFJ) quoted one of my statements in this thread over in her blog, pointing out several similarities with how she perceived the world, so it is perhaps more of an "Ni" thing than an "INTJ" thing. The main difference is that INFJs tend to be much better than INTJs at fitting in socially in spite of sharing that worldview.
    Ha, I didn't know that person's a girl. Some intuition I have! NFs by the way are tough for me to relate with, putting everything at the personal level rather than the rational. But now onto your points below...

    INTPs are also quite good at spotting things that others don't see, but 1) it's a different set of things, and 2) if Ti sees it, then it can (eventually) be stated in a concrete, logical way. What Ni sees is neither concrete, nor logical, but might be regarded as "connections" or perhaps "cause and effect".
    Okay, so Ti is perhaps more about making sense of things, and Ni more about having a sense of things?

    When others demand that Ni "prove it", the Ni dom points at the world, makes a prediction, and it happens, and then those others say, "Well, you were right, but that was just luck. You didn't prove anything." After enough interactions like that, we just shut up and do things our own way, and limit what we say to what other people will believe, as it is pointless to explain "why" to people who simply don't SEE the things that you're watching. It's how oracles and prophets get their reputations. There's no magic, here, though - just a different and rare way of looking at the world.
    Yes, the incredible insights into things like the future and the world at large a few people in the Ni-dom category seem to have is just like way too ahead of the time or crazy for many with closed-minds to consider. I'm not saying I can do that stuff well, but I like to consider all of the various possibilities, including the predictions of alien Ni-doms. It's not logical in my opinion to discount something just because I don't understand what it's about. Other people though who believe that the entire world revolves around their own heads may think differently.

    One of the things I like about physics and the hard sciences is that the laws of physics are very much like the principles that Ni sees in other areas of life. We can never actually "prove" that the laws of physics are true, and we can't know why they work the way they do, BUT we can systematically demonstrate that the laws of physics are accurate, and it isn't simply a matter of "luck" that they make correct predictions within whatever margin of error. Now, imagine being able to see these kinds of laws in operation in other areas of human interest, whether in the workplace, between people, or perhaps on the larger scale, in politics, in economics. These things are often too intangible to even begin to write formulas to prove, and even when they are that tangible, they're often too complex to include all of the variables and factors needed to analyze in a systematic way.
    Laws I think operate around the idea that what happened in the past under a certain set of contextual conditions will also hold true in the future. But what if the context "changes"? Then the old laws aren't useful anymore. For something like physics, at the mundane levels at least, it's pretty certain that its laws are fixed. Under more esoteric systems however, or even in real-life "games", I think that the laws often aren't quite so certain, and even if they do remain stable, their effects may still come down to chance "dice-rolls".

    An example of such a law? Consider the law of supply and demand in economics. It's a really basic law, even obvious if you think about it. Yet many politicians and rulers continue to make decisions as if the law of supply and demand did not exist. Why? Because it really cannot be proven. Even if you do an experiment that shows that it is true, not all supply and demand curves are the same, and thus we can never rule out the possibility that in some cases, the curve is flat, with supply and demand having no effect on price at all. The ruler believes that one can simply rule that the price will be constant, regardless of supply or demand, the side effect being that with the price constant, it is supply and demand that change instead of price.
    I'm not familiar with economic systems, but it would make more sense it seems if the people in charge listen to people underneath them who may be more expert than they are in certain areas.

  3. #373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concur_Withall View Post
    INTJs are very independent people, they don't really look for the approval of others.

    If you're not out to get something, you may not get it, but nor will you care.
    That's not true. Many care a lot about approval and will even preemptively reject, if they sense any form of disapproval.

  4. #374
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

    Next thing you know, someone will tell you only INTJs go to Star Trek conventions.
    Those are INTPs

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #375
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,435

    Default

    I am finding this thread interesting enough to follow, and I think there are even some answers here about what makes INFJs unlikeable as well. For example (my own amendments are in blue):

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Because of Te.

    You state things in an objective, detached and unmovable way. And in the proccess you come off rigid. allknowing, arrogant and narrowminded. Just like Fe for that matter. You do not seem open to discussing alternatives though youre likely more up for it after having thought about it than a Ti Fi user would be. There is a certain 'this is the way things are ' which is amplified times ten by your succinctness and lack of focus on the social realm - in other words, your focus is on the situation youre discussing and not on the communication youre autopiloting, leaving the other person feeling like an ant encountering a boot you're not listening. More over, Ni isnt exactly something most people have access to AND it makes you guys SUCK at both realising youre not providing the other person with enough information to verifiy the conclusion understand the reasoning behind the conclusion as well as suck at elaborating being able to elaborate when specifically asked.
    I was amused earlier to read uumlau’s fire prevention analogy because I’ve used that exact analogy before to describe how aggravating it can be to deal with my ISTP sister and INTP dad. It’s aggravating to be treated like Cassandra- so my default (around people who react that way) is basically the equivalent of covertly carrying a fire extinguisher around and putting out smaller fires without telling people. [uumlau's "invisible" description resonated a lot with me, for this reason- a lot of stuff I do is indeed 'invisible' to most people.]

    So yeah, a lot of what's getting discussed in this thread is, I think, the Ni.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  6. #376

    Default

    They can be cantankerous doofs. Who are hilariously odd. Dry wit ( sarcasm) = where they are exasperatingly laughing at you (but if they like you, they're secretly amused by you but will refuse to admit it to you). Have the most, off-the-wall, ideas and not even get why I am blinking at them owlishly when hearing the "plans". Can be a paranoid android. E.g., selling the house, suspicious that the agent is not up to par / doing a good job, just feeding him lines of why house not sold....so, obviously, the plan is to hide out in the crawl space inside of the house to eavesdrop the next time the agent brings a client to the house. Wanted my help in testing out the audio from the crawlspace. I remember one of my eyebrows froze in a lifted position for a good 5 mins, after hearing that. To this day, I don't know if he was half serious or completely so.

    Have lists like, "5 things I hate about Humans" and asks you what you would add to the list. When you are stumped by it, and turn it around, to create a "5 things I love about humans" and ask him to contribute to the list, his eyebrows look like two caterpillars having hate sex on his forehead, in response.

    Fun times. My favourite playmate. And my favourite phrase to hear, "you're annoying me now" LOL

    Grumpy goofs.

  7. #377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    his eyebrows look like two caterpillars having hate sex on his forehead
    Great line.
    Think.

  8. #378
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Holy god, I'd have been all over that crawlspace plan. LET'S HOOK IT UP NOW! Catch that bastard in the act of incompetency. "Hey, let's record it, so he can't deny it later!"

    Sorry. I actually like INTJs.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  9. #379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Great line.
    I think I said that out loud to him at the time, which made his eyebrows do more amusing things. hehehe

    (picture @highlander 's avatar's eyebrows being silly)

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Holy god, I'd have been all over that crawlspace plan. LET'S HOOK IT UP NOW! Catch that bastard in the act of incompetency. "Hey, let's record it, so he can't deny it later!"

    Sorry. I actually like INTJs.
    Me too, but as with other types, really does depend on the individual.

    I think I suggested a less weird option - like tape-recorders. I can write a book (which would be HIGHLY amusing) of all the plans he has come up with, to date. Some, I do indulge because they're hilarious and fun. There was another one, regarding a groundhog who was tearing up holes all over his garden, and he did a whole experiment, to find out which junk food the groundhog preferred (cheetos), and then, decided to lay out a trap for it, baiting it with cheetos. He's an engineer, so he drew up a whole design of how the trap would look/work. YAY, to putting that masters degree to good use! He has a "NO (animal) KILL" policy, so his plans also included taking the captured groundhog and freeing it in the woods. Transportation: in his car. Of course, I am always voluntold to be part of these plans. I don't even........

    Between us two, life is seldom boring.

    He also has OCD tendencies which I have fun fucking around with.

    ****

    Okay, this is really not addressing the OP's question, so here goes (overlaps with other types too):

    - can become very tunnel vision, and see things as black and white
    - can seem decisive/immovable, which can appear rigid
    - can be argumentative/agressive when challenging another if their reasoning basically boils down to "social convention"/"because this is socially acceptable"/it just is
    (E.g., two friends of mine, both do not drink, one (ENTJ) said that it's because she doesn't like to feel out of control, or partake in anything that alters her mind/cognitive functions. He respected that, and understood the logic. Another, ISTJ, female, Indian, whose reasoning was that it's not looked upon, highly, that women engage in this behaviour, and that her parents wouldn't approve. Aw shit. He went for the jugular with that. No amount of kicking his foot under the table, squeezing his thigh, would make him stop. He kept challenging and questioning her, in a very condescending manner)
    - can be tactless, condescending, arrogant
    - can get unreasonably emotional in the most unexpected of ways, and maybe it's unexpected because the default is always a rational, cool, stoic front. So, when a value is compromised, or they feel they're unfairly treated, their "logic" takes a weird turn.

  10. #380
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Me too, but as with other types, really does depend on the individual.
    Isn't that the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    I think I suggested a less weird option - like tape-recorders. I can write a book (which would be HIGHLY amusing) of all the plans he has come up with, to date. Some, I do indulge because they're hilarious and fun. There was another one, regarding a groundhog who was tearing up holes all over his garden, and he did a whole experiment, to find out which junk food the groundhog preferred (cheetos), and then, decided to lay out a trap for it, baiting it with cheetos. He's an engineer, so he drew up a whole design of how the trap would look/work. YAY, to putting that masters degree to good use! He has a "NO (animal) KILL" policy, so his plans also included taking the captured groundhog and freeing it in the woods. Transportation: in his car. Of course, I am always voluntold to be part of these plans. I don't even........

    Between us two, life is seldom boring.

    He also has OCD tendencies which I have fun fucking around with.
    He sounds so fun! You both do. I can see why you enjoy yourself. Especially, the bolded.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink:
  • :(
  • :cry:
  • :mad:
  • :dry:
  • :doh:
  • :shock:
  • :huh:
  • :shrug:
  • :blush:

Similar Threads

  1. Why do people hate tradional thoughts and practices?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM
  2. Why do people love to hate Kristen Stewart?
    By gromit in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 07:20 PM
  3. [INFP] Why do people Hate the idea of being INFP?
    By CrystalViolet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
  4. [INTJ] Why do people seem to dislike INTJs?
    By RenaiReborn in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
  5. [INTJ] Why do people Pretend to be INTJ's?
    By Dominicus Griswold in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO