• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why haven't we solved world hunger?

rogue350

World hunger hasn't been cured because Earth is already overpopulated. This hell hole would only be more cramped and more people would be around to spread more diseases. The circle of life is glorious, isn't it?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even were there a single authority to distribute food to all of the earth's population, the logistics would make it nearly impossible. It's not just a matter of having enough food; accessibility is just as important.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think "overpopulation" is a valid answer. Because now we are making a judgement about wether or not someone is worthy of being helped ---- or deciding they are part of the "over population." Why aren't all of us on this forum part of the over population? Maybe we should all jump off a cliff and leave our worldly belongings to someone poor half way across the world?

I just don't buy the overpopulation answer as a reason to NOT try to solve world hunger or a reason to NOT try to feed hungry people.

Mole

Permabanned
In the last twenty years hundreds of millions have moved out of poverty.

And in the last fifty years violence is reducing and keeps reducing throughout the world.

And in the last thirty years the green revolution has fed billions of people.

Globalization is reducing world hunger. And is only likely to be stopped by general warfare, probably starting with the USA and China.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The natural order is an evil cycle of eat or be eaten. The Creator has cursed and forsaken us all!
If there's any kind of hunger we should be feeling, it's to take God's place and restore a new Heaven to this worldly Hell!

Mole

Permabanned
The natural order is an evil cycle of eat or be eaten. The Creator has cursed and forsaken us all!
If there's any kind of hunger we should be feeling, it's to take God's place and restore a new Heaven to this worldly Hell!

Fortunately this won't be necessary.

This was unnecessary in China, for in the last twenty years hundreds of millions of Chinese have moved out of poverty.

And more and more Chinese continue to move out of poverty. To this can be added the multi-millions of Indians moving out of poverty, not mention Indonesians, and even Africans are starting to move out of poverty.

God had nothing to do with it, globalization, science, technology and peace have everything to do with it.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Why aren't all of us on this forum part of the over population?
Because for the most part, we can all feed ourselves and our offspring. Trust me, if you could ever enforce a mandate such that people who cannot afford to feed their children CANNOT have them, it would not be long before you would run out of hungry mouths to feed.

Conversly, I feel all other approaches are doomed to failure.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because for the most part, we can all feed ourselves and our offspring. Trust me, if you could ever enforce a mandate such that people who cannot afford to feed their children CANNOT have them, it would not be long before you would run out of hungry mouths to feed.

Conversly, I feel all other approaches are doomed to failure.

And by and large, the happenstance circumstances of our birth (time, place) has a lot to do with the fact that we can, by and large, feed ourselves and our offspring. Take a person who cannot on the other side of the world- give them our circumstances instead, and they too would be in the same shoes as us. So we had a good card dealt to us is all. And they--- did not.

CheshireCat

MBTI Type
GOO
Enneagram
"unbalanced" is more appropriate than "overpopulated"

Less people equals less land required to support people equals more room for other forms of life.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
er... distribution.

I remember as a primary school kid in the 1980s hearing that it's true now. I've been to Africa and like fuck do people starve there. Granted few are obese but most don't have lack of food.

Since a third of our land is for arable use, how the fuck can we starve? A third!!

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
And by and large, the happenstance circumstances of our birth (time, place) has a lot to do with the fact that we can, by and large, feed ourselves and our offspring. Take a person who cannot on the other side of the world- give them our circumstances instead, and they too would be in the same shoes as us. So we had a good card dealt to us is all. And they--- did not.
True as far as feeding themselves go. But they bear the weight for their reproductive choices. They deal that bad hand to their children themselves (as is quite likely their parents dealt it to them).

Now I realize you can't just mandate people "act intelligently" regarding reproductive choice. But feeding their starving offspring encourages bad behavior and compounds the problem.

Despite appearances, I am not advocating a world devoid of social assistance. OTOH, any solution that amount to "just send them food" is also a poor approach.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True as far as feeding themselves go. But they bear the weight for their reproductive choices. They deal that bad hand to their children themselves (as is quite likely their parents dealt it to them).

Now I realize you can't just mandate people "act intelligently" regarding reproductive choice. But feeding their starving offspring encourages bad behavior and compounds the problem.

Despite appearances, I am not advocating a world devoid of social assistance. OTOH, any solution that amount to "just send them food" is also a poor approach.

Planned Parenthood is just not a subject in some cultures around the world. Education or even access to birth control is scarce. When you have nothing- at least you have sex. It's not as easy as saying they should haven't kids. I'm a spiritual person. I believe that every birth is mandated by God. So each (albiet starving) child is meant to be born. I really think we are each on a test / journey. They on theirs. We on ours. I do think we are being tested as to what we will do - if anything - to help those less fortunate.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the last twenty years hundreds of millions have moved out of poverty.

And in the last fifty years violence is reducing and keeps reducing throughout the world.

And in the last thirty years the green revolution has fed billions of people.

Globalization is reducing world hunger. And is only likely to be stopped by general warfare, probably starting with the USA and China.

This was actually going to be really close to my answer, minus the global warfare part. We haven't solved it, and perhaps we never will 100%, but we've made tremendous progress.

My biggest concern is the separation of wealth between the very top with the very bottom. It's only increasing, and there's a threshold where bad things happen. If we cross that threshold, it may lead to changes that will undo some of the progress the world has made.

rogue350

Most people don't care about starving people. That is why there are infomercials begging people to send money. I haven't been to Africa or India, therefore I don't know if they are starving. The infomercials seem incredibly hyperbolic and why aren't we concerned with the people who are starving right down the street? Everyone wants to act like they need to send money to Africa and brag about it and tell the whole world. Well, what about your neighbor that just lost his job and got evicted?

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
One of the main problems of humanity, and the reason of many bad things in the world is that people unite in the pack and follow the leader when they need to keep to themselves, and keep to themselves when they need to unite together in order to reach a common goal. They' re just too greedy to sacrafice their own minor interests, and too dumb to follow the leader who takes them to a devastating future.

Mole

Permabanned
One of the main problems of humanity, and the reason of many bad things in the world is that people unite in the pack and follow the leader when they need to keep to themselves, and keep to themselves when they need to unite together in order to reach a common goal. They' re just too greedy to sacrafice their own minor interests, and too dumb to follow the leader who takes them to a devastating future.

In the last 20 years more than 200 million Chinese have moved out of poverty into prosperity.

They did this by following a Scotsman, John Smith, and his a book, The Wealth of Nations published in 1776.

In The Wealth of Nations we learn that private greed leads to public prosperity under regulated and competitive capitalism.

We know how to create prosperity and many hundreds of millions are doing it and moving out of poverty.

So the problems the world is facing today are the problems of prosperity, such as pollution, and inequality of income.

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
In the last 20 years more than 200 million Chinese have moved out of poverty into prosperity.

They did this by following a Scotsman, John Smith, and his a book, The Wealth of Nations published in 1776.

In The Wealth of Nations we learn that private greed leads to public prosperity under regulated and competitive capitalism.

We know how to create prosperity and many hundreds of millions are doing it and moving out of poverty.

So the problems the world is facing today are the problems of prosperity, such as pollution, and inequality of income.

But they still do have hunger, don' t they? Besides, I wasn' t talking about prosperity.

Mole

Permabanned
But they still do have hunger, don' t they? Besides, I wasn' t talking about prosperity.

It seems to me you don't recognise we are succeeding in removing hunger and replacing it with prosperity.

It seems to me you have a sentimental attachment to hunger and frankly you don't care how to replace hunger with prosperity.

Luckily, we do.