• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Surviving in a Feeling-dominant culture

rogue350

I see this with some other ENTP's as well. I wish that I knew some ENTP's irl.

(I like your avatar)

I am sooooo bad at small talk after a certain point. Where do you get the energy? Must be from keeping it random with Ne maybe?

Also it's hard to keep my mouth shut with a dominant extraverted function. :(

I try to follow the rule "Don't speak unless spoken to" or the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all," but those rules seem like the opposite of what my Te wants to do :(

Te wants to cut to the chase with everything....so small talk is something that I actually have to consciously think about :shock:

So I would like to take make the best of your advice. What would be an example of a conversation irl that you would stay away from? Like controversial stuffs? ie abortion, politics, sex, fracking, Miley Cyrus, religion, etc...? I guess my feeling is what's there left to talk about? ha ha :laugh: weather, food, and exercise lol?
I small talk because I really don't have very many friends yet. I just moved to a new school so I ask questions like: "do you like the teacher?", "is this class hard?" and "how are you today?" When it comes to school, there are very few people that I talk to about anything other than school. Maybe I'm lazy and I don't put in enough effort to find other people who have similar interests as I do.
I rarely talk about abortion and abortion. I don't mind talking about Miley Cyrus but it shocks people when I say that she is doing the exact same thing every other female in the music business is doing. People just want to be sensationalized and want drama. To me, Miley is just like Rihanna, Ke$ha, and other sexualities female musicians (if you can call them that). Politics are a tricky subject. I am wary of debating with people on topics like abortion, politics, and gay marriage because I don't agree with most people and I don't want to talk to people who don't know what they're talking about. I am not really informed on ObamaCare so I try and stay away from that and other people have no idea what they're talking about either. I would rather talk about conspiracy theories and I purposefully say things that shock people. I either keep my conversations boringly simple or completely out there and crazy. The weather is good small talk.

I think I get the energy from genuinely liking to talk to people. At the same time, I am quite content with just observing people and listening to other people's conversations and chiming in when something interesting is being discussed.

Thanks for liking my icon!

Just talk to people about the things that interest you and make small talk interesting or at least bearable. And YES, keep it "random". I think that is one of the reasons that people seem to enjoy conversing with me.

Concur_Withall

MBTI Type
NFJ
I don't know what culture you're from, but I think my culture is more Thinker dominant than anything else.

ESTJ coppas layin down da law ov man

Imagine trying to survive as an INFP?!

rogue350

I don't know what culture you're from, but I think my culture is more Thinker dominant than anything else.

ESTJ coppas layin down da law ov man

Imagine trying to survive as an INFP?!
Maybe it isn't that our culture is necessarily feeling or thinking dominant but that people are uneducated, unaware, stubborn, and can't think outside the box.