• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Judging people on MBTI alone?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore.

There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others. I'm not talking about the general "hate an ENFP?" threads, i'm talking about asymmetrical dislike against certain types among the users.

Do you deliberately avoid talking to certain types? Why?

Sometimes I wish I was an INFJ or INTP or at least something that people generally like.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore.

I doubt it's that. I never liked ESTPs much either. :)

But yes, you're whining and fishing for some affirmation. Fine. I've done that too.

So.... honestly, when people stop talking to me, I am trying to focus more on "How am I talking to them?" and "What am I talking about?" I think that has a lot more bearing on responses than my MBTI type here. Am I saying things that encourage people to respond? If not, am I okay with that?

And what's my purpose in participating? Am I just trying to get affirmation, or do I have something positive to contribute, or what exactly...? And would I say the same things anyway even if no one ever responds again? Sometimes people also focus on what they have time to focus on and you're just lower on the priority chain, so you don't get the TLC you might expect.

No comment on you specifically, these are just the things I think about for me.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
But some of my best friends are ENTJs--I love their direct approach to getting my problems solved.

You know, the whole reason Myers and Briggs worked on the MBTI was to help people make constructive use of type differences. I spent a year in partner leadership with an ENTJ (he was prez, I was prez-elect of our volunteer organization) and here's what he contributed:
  • Great discernment on other people's strengths and where they could best contribute. No nonsense, spot on, and useful.
  • Warning, tactfully given, in any meeting where conversation was spiraling into unbounded extraverted Intuition--he called it going down the rabbit hole with reference to Alice's Wonderland...
  • A great sense of humor in some very difficult times--pointing out what was funny about 3 of us spending a weekend on conference calls trying to bail out from someone else's mistake. He got me laughing.
  • Accurate compliments. I like hearing specifically about what I'm doing right and that's what I'd get from him.
  • Tenacity to solve the problems we faced. His "We're not going down on my watch" attitude kept the rest of us inspired.

Our neighbor prefers ENTJ and was helping us install this peculiar doorbell we'd gotten from my parents' house after they died. It would not ring, despite a few hours' work on what should have been a simple connection. He rings us at 10 the next morning and says, "I couldn't sleep till I figured it out." Over he came with drawings on the back of a napkin. 10 minutes later, the think was ringing every tune.

The best type to be is the one you are--there are saints and jerks within each of the 16 types. And the beauty of type is that there are resources available created by the 16 types themselves that help each of us capitalize on our strengths and take note of what worked for others to smooth out those edges that keep us from being all we can be. (Hope that isn't to NF sappy :D)

edcoaching (INFJ)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore...

There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others. I'm not talking about the general "hate an ENFP?" threads, i'm talking about asymmetrical dislike against certain types among the users.

Do you deliberately avoid talking to certain types? Why?

Sometimes I wish I was an INFJ or INTP or at least something that people generally like.
There are unpopular and well-liked types in individual's minds and in online communities. I think you are right about that. In one way it makes the presence of those under represented/under appreciated types more important. If you don't want to bother with that then I would suggest removing your type from your profile for a while or at least placing an X in certain categories to avoid singular pigeon-holing. MBTI does not address that much of who a person is and there are notable dichotomies within each type that the system doesn't begin to address. Oh well, just one more application for prejudicial thinking which is in place to simplify the world so people don't have to think.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others.

I've noticed this too and I have to admit that I'm not entirely unbiassed when it comes to xSFJs myself, but not to the extent that I would dismiss their posts. I actually do think that the labels might have different effects in that they might affect the way you act and the way other people react to you. P types in general seem to be appreciated more. It's a bit like the reverse of the physical world, I suppose.

*pets Jesus* :p

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you think you act the same now as ENTJ as you did then?

Definitely. Who I am, my interests and the like haven't changed. I write the same kind of things now as I did then.

I doubt it's that. I never liked ESTPs much either. :)

But yes, you're whining and fishing for some affirmation. Fine. I've done that too.

So.... honestly, when people stop talking to me, I am trying to focus more on "How am I talking to them?" and "What am I talking about?" I think that has a lot more bearing on responses than my MBTI type here. Am I saying things that encourage people to respond? If not, am I okay with that?

And what's my purpose in participating? Am I just trying to get affirmation, or do I have something positive to contribute, or what exactly...? And would I say the same things anyway even if no one ever responds again? Sometimes people also focus on what they have time to focus on and you're just lower on the priority chain, so you don't get the TLC you might expect.

No comment on you specifically, these are just the things I think about for me.

I've thought about that, and i've tried everything from derailing a thread to staying on track, asking questions etc. Sorry for the EMO attention whoring, but i've been wandering around thinking about why I don't get the same pleasure out of this place as I did before. The issue is the lack of response to practically any attempt of conversation. The only answers I get is when there is politics talk, my opinions don't go well with many and thus I get angry answers :D But at least they are answers!

But some of my best friends are ENTJs--I love their direct approach to getting my problems solved.

You know, the whole reason Myers and Briggs worked on the MBTI was to help people make constructive use of type differences. I spent a year in partner leadership with an ENTJ (he was prez, I was prez-elect of our volunteer organization) and here's what he contributed:
  • Great discernment on other people's strengths and where they could best contribute. No nonsense, spot on, and useful.
  • Warning, tactfully given, in any meeting where conversation was spiraling into unbounded extraverted Intuition--he called it going down the rabbit hole with reference to Alice's Wonderland...
  • A great sense of humor in some very difficult times--pointing out what was funny about 3 of us spending a weekend on conference calls trying to bail out from someone else's mistake. He got me laughing.
  • Accurate compliments. I like hearing specifically about what I'm doing right and that's what I'd get from him.
  • Tenacity to solve the problems we faced. His "We're not going down on my watch" attitude kept the rest of us inspired.

Our neighbor prefers ENTJ and was helping us install this peculiar doorbell we'd gotten from my parents' house after they died. It would not ring, despite a few hours' work on what should have been a simple connection. He rings us at 10 the next morning and says, "I couldn't sleep till I figured it out." Over he came with drawings on the back of a napkin. 10 minutes later, the think was ringing every tune.

The best type to be is the one you are--there are saints and jerks within each of the 16 types. And the beauty of type is that there are resources available created by the 16 types themselves that help each of us capitalize on our strengths and take note of what worked for others to smooth out those edges that keep us from being all we can be. (Hope that isn't to NF sappy :D)

edcoaching (INFJ)

Thanks, mate. Constructive and good-natured response. If I ever would be able to change myself into any other type, it would be INFJ :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't avoid talking to you, but I don't think you've really talked to me either. Our interests and personalities don't seem to cross.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thanks, mate. Constructive and good-natured response. If I ever would be able to change myself into any other type, it would be INFJ :D[/QUOTE]

But then, who would solve my problems? :)
Edcoaching

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are unpopular and well-liked types in individual's minds and in online communities. I think you are right about that. In one way it makes the presence of those under represented/under appreciated types more important. If you don't want to bother with that then I would suggest removing your type from your profile for a while or at least placing an X in certain categories to avoid singular pigeon-holing. MBTI does not address that much of who a person is and there are notable dichotomies within each type that the system doesn't begin to address. Oh well, just one more application for prejudicial thinking which is in place to simplify the world so people don't have to think.

So, bottom line is that people avoid underrepresented types because they are odd birds in the chicken coop? Seems fair. And i've never been much of a quitter, so i'll probably stick around for many years to come.

I've noticed this too and I have to admit that I'm not entirely unbiassed when it comes to xSFJs myself, but not to the extent that I would dismiss their posts. I actually do think that the labels might have different effects in that they might affect the way you act and the way other people react to you. P types in general seem to be appreciated more. It's a bit like the reverse of the physical world, I suppose.

*pets Jesus* :p

Would that be regular or heavy petting? :heart::rolli:

Back to the topic. I'm not unbiased myself, I avoid ISTJ's all I can, if it's not impossible to not recognize their general greatness. :D But at least I try to adress the issue and deal with it, think about the people behind the labels.
Wish more people would do the same.
You who have replied seem to have valid points, all of you. Thanks for the responses so far.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hum. I know an ENTJ.

I guess the thing that I notice most about her is that she's extremely cocky, but in a way she deserves it. She can be extremely helpful with stuff she knows, and she gets pretty scary when she's angry -- although, I've known plenty of INFPs who do that too, so that sort of thing isn't really limited to type...

I see her limitless energy and the speed and quality at which she writes and get pretty jealous. :blush:

I think what happens is that people read the profiles for ENTJs and they see 'conqueror', and that's kind of scary, when they don't even know how a 'conqueror' works.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not your type change. If I had to guess I'd say ESTPs (as a type) would be more disliked here than ENTJs (and certainly less common...have we ever even had a real, active ESTP?). I don't think I've seen a thread complaining about any N type, actually. And I highly doubt anyone many people here would actively avoid talking to someone because of his or her professed type.

The forum has a distinctly different atmosphere now, though. It isn't only you. Summer, maybe, or maybe (probably) just forum evolution.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't avoid talking to you, but I don't think you've really talked to me either. Our interests and personalities don't seem to cross.

Yes, and I bet I kinda got on the bad side of the mods, too. But I certainly wouldn't have anything against getting to know you. Your reasoning is - even if different than what i'm used to - pretty damn good. I respect you.

But then, who would solve my problems? :)
Edcoaching

Heh ^^

Dude your thread is working!!:hi:

Apparently! :yes: In true jesus spirit, I also send an apology your way due to some unpleasant words and other things that have come out of my loud mouth.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Umm, the thing about SJs...

I like some of them as friends but I find them impossible to work with. They find my uncooperation as an affront and I find their insistence on cooperation as an affront. And then what happens is the whole thing degenerates into a good ol' game of fisticuffs.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Just my way of trying to be funny. Sometimes it's pretty much disastrous ^^

I was trying to be funny too. :p Sarcasm for the win.

SFJs I find exceedingly hard to communicate with.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Half of all jokes/sarcasms actually contain some seriousness ;) And my way of being can actually fuck things up pretty much :D Release me in a high society ballroom and people would soon starting to run for the exits :D Have a background as electrician on land and i've also been doing a ship electrician (sailor) thus the things that come out of my filthy sewer be pretty bad :smile:

Sorry for the long response time, my ISP is not functioning at 100% it seems :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not your type change. If I had to guess I'd say ESTPs (as a type) would be more disliked here than ENTJs (and certainly less common...have we ever even had a real, active ESTP?). I don't think I've seen a thread complaining about any N type, actually. And I highly doubt anyone many people here would actively avoid talking to someone because of his or her professed type.

The forum has a distinctly different atmosphere now, though. It isn't only you. Summer, maybe, or maybe (probably) just forum evolution.

Really? Many people view ENTJ as the evil boss-type that will fuck up your day beyond recognition. :D Seems to be a generally accepted view. :blush:
While i'm quite good at being a pain in the ass, I try to avoid that. ESTP on the other hand is portrayed as the classical Joey-kind of guy that will make you laugh and/or try to get into your pants while drinking half the content in a fairly well-sized bar :smile: I love ESTP's.

And yeah... It's probably either of them or both. Kinda sad. What has changed in your opinion? It's hard to pinpoint.