123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Arrow Judging people on MBTI alone?

This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore.

There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others. I'm not talking about the general "hate an ENFP?" threads, i'm talking about asymmetrical dislike against certain types among the users.

Do you deliberately avoid talking to certain types? Why?

Sometimes I wish I was an INFJ or INTP or at least something that people generally like.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore.
    I doubt it's that. I never liked ESTPs much either.

But yes, you're whining and fishing for some affirmation. Fine. I've done that too.

So.... honestly, when people stop talking to me, I am trying to focus more on "How am I talking to them?" and "What am I talking about?" I think that has a lot more bearing on responses than my MBTI type here. Am I saying things that encourage people to respond? If not, am I okay with that?

And what's my purpose in participating? Am I just trying to get affirmation, or do I have something positive to contribute, or what exactly...? And would I say the same things anyway even if no one ever responds again? Sometimes people also focus on what they have time to focus on and you're just lower on the priority chain, so you don't get the TLC you might expect.

No comment on you specifically, these are just the things I think about for me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Would you think you act the same now as ENTJ as you did then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

But some of my best friends are ENTJs--I love their direct approach to getting my problems solved.

You know, the whole reason Myers and Briggs worked on the MBTI was to help people make constructive use of type differences. I spent a year in partner leadership with an ENTJ (he was prez, I was prez-elect of our volunteer organization) and here's what he contributed:
    • Great discernment on other people's strengths and where they could best contribute. No nonsense, spot on, and useful.
    • Warning, tactfully given, in any meeting where conversation was spiraling into unbounded extraverted Intuition--he called it going down the rabbit hole with reference to Alice's Wonderland...
    • A great sense of humor in some very difficult times--pointing out what was funny about 3 of us spending a weekend on conference calls trying to bail out from someone else's mistake. He got me laughing.
    • Accurate compliments. I like hearing specifically about what I'm doing right and that's what I'd get from him.
    • Tenacity to solve the problems we faced. His "We're not going down on my watch" attitude kept the rest of us inspired.

Our neighbor prefers ENTJ and was helping us install this peculiar doorbell we'd gotten from my parents' house after they died. It would not ring, despite a few hours' work on what should have been a simple connection. He rings us at 10 the next morning and says, "I couldn't sleep till I figured it out." Over he came with drawings on the back of a napkin. 10 minutes later, the think was ringing every tune.

The best type to be is the one you are--there are saints and jerks within each of the 16 types. And the beauty of type is that there are resources available created by the 16 types themselves that help each of us capitalize on our strengths and take note of what worked for others to smooth out those edges that keep us from being all we can be. (Hope that isn't to NF sappy )

edcoaching (INFJ)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    This is a part of MBTI that i've found quite frustrating. At least since I pretty much got confirmed as an ENTJ. When my tag said ESTP people actually were a lot nicer, but now people seldom respond to anything I write. Not to whine too much, but i've found myself asking if it's really worth sticking around anymore...

There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others. I'm not talking about the general "hate an ENFP?" threads, i'm talking about asymmetrical dislike against certain types among the users.

Do you deliberately avoid talking to certain types? Why?

Sometimes I wish I was an INFJ or INTP or at least something that people generally like.
    There are unpopular and well-liked types in individual's minds and in online communities. I think you are right about that. In one way it makes the presence of those under represented/under appreciated types more important. If you don't want to bother with that then I would suggest removing your type from your profile for a while or at least placing an X in certain categories to avoid singular pigeon-holing. MBTI does not address that much of who a person is and there are notable dichotomies within each type that the system doesn't begin to address. Oh well, just one more application for prejudicial thinking which is in place to simplify the world so people don't have to think.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    nnnn

There are a few personality types that seem to recieve a lot of scorn over here, like the ESTJ, ENTJ, ESFJ and a few others.
    I've noticed this too and I have to admit that I'm not entirely unbiassed when it comes to xSFJs myself, but not to the extent that I would dismiss their posts. I actually do think that the labels might have different effects in that they might affect the way you act and the way other people react to you. P types in general seem to be appreciated more. It's a bit like the reverse of the physical world, I suppose.

*pets Jesus* :p

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Would you think you act the same now as ENTJ as you did then?
    Definitely. Who I am, my interests and the like haven't changed. I write the same kind of things now as I did then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I doubt it's that. I never liked ESTPs much either.

But yes, you're whining and fishing for some affirmation. Fine. I've done that too.

So.... honestly, when people stop talking to me, I am trying to focus more on "How am I talking to them?" and "What am I talking about?" I think that has a lot more bearing on responses than my MBTI type here. Am I saying things that encourage people to respond? If not, am I okay with that?

And what's my purpose in participating? Am I just trying to get affirmation, or do I have something positive to contribute, or what exactly...? And would I say the same things anyway even if no one ever responds again? Sometimes people also focus on what they have time to focus on and you're just lower on the priority chain, so you don't get the TLC you might expect.

No comment on you specifically, these are just the things I think about for me.
    I've thought about that, and i've tried everything from derailing a thread to staying on track, asking questions etc. Sorry for the EMO attention whoring, but i've been wandering around thinking about why I don't get the same pleasure out of this place as I did before. The issue is the lack of response to practically any attempt of conversation. The only answers I get is when there is politics talk, my opinions don't go well with many and thus I get angry answers But at least they are answers!

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    But some of my best friends are ENTJs--I love their direct approach to getting my problems solved.

You know, the whole reason Myers and Briggs worked on the MBTI was to help people make constructive use of type differences. I spent a year in partner leadership with an ENTJ (he was prez, I was prez-elect of our volunteer organization) and here's what he contributed:
    • Great discernment on other people's strengths and where they could best contribute. No nonsense, spot on, and useful.
    • Warning, tactfully given, in any meeting where conversation was spiraling into unbounded extraverted Intuition--he called it going down the rabbit hole with reference to Alice's Wonderland...
    • A great sense of humor in some very difficult times--pointing out what was funny about 3 of us spending a weekend on conference calls trying to bail out from someone else's mistake. He got me laughing.
    • Accurate compliments. I like hearing specifically about what I'm doing right and that's what I'd get from him.
    • Tenacity to solve the problems we faced. His "We're not going down on my watch" attitude kept the rest of us inspired.

Our neighbor prefers ENTJ and was helping us install this peculiar doorbell we'd gotten from my parents' house after they died. It would not ring, despite a few hours' work on what should have been a simple connection. He rings us at 10 the next morning and says, "I couldn't sleep till I figured it out." Over he came with drawings on the back of a napkin. 10 minutes later, the think was ringing every tune.

The best type to be is the one you are--there are saints and jerks within each of the 16 types. And the beauty of type is that there are resources available created by the 16 types themselves that help each of us capitalize on our strengths and take note of what worked for others to smooth out those edges that keep us from being all we can be. (Hope that isn't to NF sappy )

edcoaching (INFJ)
    Thanks, mate. Constructive and good-natured response. If I ever would be able to change myself into any other type, it would be INFJ

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't avoid talking to you, but I don't think you've really talked to me either. Our interests and personalities don't seem to cross.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Thanks, mate. Constructive and good-natured response. If I ever would be able to change myself into any other type, it would be INFJ [/QUOTE]

But then, who would solve my problems?
    Edcoaching

Enneagram
    1w2

Dude your thread is working!!