User Tag List

View Poll Results: INTJs - Do you think more in images than words?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 66.67%
  • No

3 33.33%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default INTJs - Do you think by way of images more than words?

"It is often said that human beings rely more heavily on vision than any of our other senses. This seems particularly true of INJs, who often report a strong visual element associated with their Ni. Many INTJs report thinking by way of images more than words. Their intuitions may emerge in the form of symbols, images, dreams, or patterns. This is consistent with Jung’s characterization of the Ni type as the dreamer or seer. There is a distinct visual character to these notions, which is why vision-related terms—foresight, insight, seer, visionary, etc.—are invariably used in describing INJs. The visual nature of Ni might also tie into their inferior function, Extraverted Sensing (Se), which is also a visual function. The difference is that Se is attuned to the specifics and details of the environment, whereas Ni is more concerned with forming an impression or theory of what is happening based on the totality of incoming sensory information."

http://personalityjunkie.com/the-intj/2/

Does this resonate with you? Do you think more of images vs. words?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think - meaning I get ideas - more as images than as words, but also as impressions. This is hard to describe. If I try to "look" directly at one of these impressions, it tends to elude me, slipping away like a stream of smoke. I have to let it go, and wait for it to come back in more solid and permanent form. When it is willing to stay still, then I can start to sense a visual impression. Sometimes I get auditory impressions as well, and I have a very good memory for music and other sounds. Words are the medium I generally use to express all this to the outside world.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I think in fogs that are neither images nor words, fogs of weighed information that is more sensed than directly looked at.

If I had to choose, however, I would say I am a little closer to thinking in words than to the kind of the visual thinking associated with autism, which is basically a personal, endless, dynamic series of clear images, a self-produced movie in one's head. I have trouble conjuring up a single clear image of anything; it is always rather the impression of an image than an actual image.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I think - meaning I get ideas - more as images than as words, but also as impressions. This is hard to describe. If I try to "look" directly at one of these impressions, it tends to elude me, slipping away like a stream of smoke. I have to let it go, and wait for it to come back in more solid and permanent form. When it is willing to stay still, then I can start to sense a visual impression. Sometimes I get auditory impressions as well, and I have a very good memory for music and other sounds. Words are the medium I generally use to express all this to the outside world.
    I only read your post after submitting mine. Interesting parallels, even in the vocabulary.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I'd like to enter a Ti dom perspective. I will abstain from mucking with the poll though, but the topic is too interesting for me to resist.

I think in words. It takes effort for me to think in images or impressions. Sometimes I do seem to have impressions or vibrations going on but, if they are always present, they seem to be papered over with words most of the time. I very much have an inner voice, and I kind of assumed everyone did. A lot of times, it is as though this inner voice drowns everything else out, even the physical sensations of my body. This is the case more often than not. This is what's going on internally when I appear "lost in my head."
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think in fogs that are neither images nor words, fogs of weighed information that is more sensed than directly looked at.

If I had to choose, however, I would say I am a little closer to thinking in words than to the kind of the visual thinking associated with autism, which is basically a personal, endless, dynamic series of clear images, a self-produced movie in one's head. I have trouble conjuring up a single clear image of anything; it is always rather the impression of an image than an actual image.
    That's a very good way of putting it. I was thinking the word "haze". I do the same thing.

I have heard people say they think in symbols or visual things that can't be described and then they have to put it into words. It's not like that for me.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ

Not even images--my snobby side considers them ideas in the purest sense of the word, but my more humble self just has seemingly irrelevant things flit through my mind at the speed of light. I would characterize it as more of a brain-centered emotional/physical twinge. If I manage to focus on the twinge then more seemingly irrelevant twinges appear (irrelevant to the first twinge) or often intense feelings appear, unconnected to whatever is going on in the world outside. If I am able to focus on the twinges in a relaxed way then sometimes a useful pattern can emerge but more often they appear significant but stay odd and unrelated. Over time, I've learned to trust these twinges because they often will end up being very significant long term -- even over a matter of years. I think I actually have an archive of twinges in my brain that I revisit every now and again to try to pattern into something. When I was younger I remember getting what I thought were stupid ideas because everyone else believed otherwise and putting myself down for being stupid, but often my perspective would turn out to be correct long-term to the point that I would become fairly rigid about tuning into my own ideas and tuning out the rest of the world. Of course, this isn't good either, so now I try to get a good balance.

WhoCares

I run movies in my head but like to cement them by then expressing in words either by journal or conversation. But more or less my thoughts are visual. I find it extremely easy to form visuals in great detail on any topic and new ideas come to me as images rather than as word based thought streams.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Yes, especially when coming up with ideas (particularly story ideas).

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That's a very good way of putting it. I was thinking the word "haze". I do the same thing.

I have heard people say they think in symbols or visual things that can't be described and then they have to put it into words. It's not like that for me.
    I'm not INTJ... but I wanted to chime in. Looked like an interesting thread.

I've always felt as though this is why ISFP's have great difficulty speaking. Our internal world is experienced through feeling tones Fi coupled with Ni. I would go so far as to say that I don't naturally think in words. Or at least, I didn't for a very long time. I was really sick and tired of feeling like I had a disconnection between my brain and my mouth, so I took up journaling and made it a regular practice to write. I don't feel this disconnect anymore and think greatly more in words now than I used to. I do still struggle on greater ideas, because the ideas are often so colored in feeling tones and images gathered through Se, that only really my Ni understands, and there just isn't a cohesive way to put it down into understandable terms.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Enneagram
    9w8

I would like to also add something as I have a strong Ni and maybe it will be of some use in the course of this conversation.

I want to add something from my earliest memories because I can't help but wondered, have wondered all my life, if it has shaped the way I think. I know wonder if it was Ni in its purest form as such an early age.

My earliest memories are from the time period between 15 to 17 months old and I remember images, impressions, understandings. When I was about 17 months old, I have one vivid memory of my mother and grandmother standing beside a bed. My mother was changing my newborn sister's diaper and she and my grandma were talking. I still recall seeing them, seeing my sister on the bed and seeing my hands on the bars of my crib. My hands are all I recall seeing of myself. I recall hearing speech but not fully understanding the words and then I looked out the window directly behind my grandmother and saw a "creature" looking in the window. It seemed perfectly normal to me that some kind of creature should look in the window, but I had no idea what it was because I was a baby and had no frame of reference. So, to this day, all I can tell you was that it was a creature. It might have been a bird or an owl or a cat or who knows what. Of course, I had no word for it then, not even creature, but I understood that it was a living thing and that it was observing my family from behind the window just as I was observing from behind those crib bars.

When I think, I think in the haze that someone described. Sometimes I can't tell precisely "what" I'm thinking because it hasn't come together yet. I space out and if someone asks me what I was thinking or where my mind was, I honestly can't tell them, but once the idea comes together, I have a complete picture that blows both my mind and their minds. However, if I'm interrupted before this "thing" can find words, then I may loose the brilliance it is sure to produce.

I hope that doesn't make me sound totally crazy but that IS how I think much of the time.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14