User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default NTs-Would you alter your personality test to get a job?

    Ifyou were very interested in getting a job and If you had to take a personality test to get it, would you answer authentically or would you attempt to answer the test the way you thought the people who were hiring you wanted you to answer?

    Would you refuse to take the test?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    That depends on the test, the job, the firm, my level of interest in the job, my level of my confidence in knowing what the job demands better than the people hiring for it; in other words: it depends on too many variables to give the kind of answer you were probably looking for.

    /Not good at online communication either.

  3. #3
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Ifyou were very interested in getting a job and If you had to take a personality test to get it, would you answer authentically or would you attempt to answer the test the way you thought the people who were hiring you wanted you to answer?

    Would you refuse to take the test?
    First, it is my understanding that using MBTI in this way is considered unethical, especially by the people who administer it. I would have no compunction about answering inauthentically if my main goal was just to get the job. I might ask how the results would be used, especially if it were more of a career situation than just a job to pay the bills, and I wanted to have a better understanding of what kind of organization I would be getting into.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  4. #4
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    without hesitation - i pretty much do that instinctively in job interviews anyway...

  5. #5
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Just in very small doses, otherwise it'll be pointless to be stuck in a position that doesn't fit you.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  6. #6
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Just in very small doses, otherwise it'll be pointless to be stuck in a position that doesn't fit you.
    honestly, i find that most jobs are tolerable as long as you find people around you whose company you enjoy... and most people just get whatever job they can to pay the bill, so all you need is a job that you tolerate. unless you are aiming for something specific - a career you think can be self-fulfilling - i don't know if there's merit to "how fitting you are for the job" personality wise (as long as your competent at it in terms of skills).

  7. #7
    WhoCares
    Guest

    Default

    What would be the point? You're on the job performance will reveal all. Either you are good at the job or you arent. If they are shopping for a certain type then chances are excellent it will be an environment you hate rather than one that accomodates you. Move on. Theres no point winning a prize that turns into a nightmare. I havent got the time nor energy to pretend and keep up a pretence.

  8. #8
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    honestly, i find that most jobs are tolerable as long as you find people around you whose company you enjoy... and most people just get whatever job they can to pay the bill, so all you need is a job that you tolerate. unless you are aiming for something specific - a career you think can be self-fulfilling - i don't know if there's merit to "how fitting you are for the job" personality wise (as long as your competent at it in terms of skills).
    Well, I'm always aiming for a career I think can be self-fulfilling. How could I do otherwise?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I would be very suspicious of any job application process that required me to submit to a personality test. Frankly my interest in the job would wane dramatically the moment the interviewer proffered the test.

    I'd probably take the test as earnestly as possible, and if as a result I didn't get the job I wouldn't be disappointed. I wouldn't want to work for a company that made its hiring decisions based on the results of personality tests.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    without hesitation - i pretty much do that instinctively in job interviews anyway...
    This explains a great deal actually! (not about you-about why my entp friend didnt get hired )

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    First, it is my understanding that using MBTI in this way is considered unethical, especially by the people who administer it. I would have no compunction about answering inauthentically if my main goal was just to get the job. I might ask how the results would be used, especially if it were more of a career situation than just a job to pay the bills, and I wanted to have a better understanding of what kind of organization I would be getting into.
    the folks who sell MBTI, request that it not be used for this purpose and see it as unethical.

    However there are a variety of companies that make tests of this sort for screening of applicants. Our company uses one that has a math, problem solving, and analytical reasoning sections, then follow with a personality profile which appears to be loosely based upon the five factors tool.

    The tool was put in use after the company was acquired by a larger company. Folks who are pre-acquisition or folks who acquired as part of tuck ins to our company are representative of the personality type distribution you'd expect in IT or the world at large.

    However folks who come in through our recruiting team and who are screened using tool are totally skewed. In our dev/QA team we have about 40% INTJ/40% INTP/10% ENFP. In all other teams-sales, support, Product management, Dev/QA management, docs, training, professional services, HR- we are close to 90% ENFP. We have 1 ISFJ, 1 ENFJ, 1 ENTJ, 1 INFJ, 1 ENTP, 1 INFP....but the rest are ENFPs everywhere.

    I couldnt figure out how on earth they were screening so heavily towards a particular type of person and excluding others.

    Rosofy wins:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    If I ever become an employer, I might use this strategy to eliminate the cheaters. Depending on the position.
    i found out yesterday, they actually dont screen out based on the answers to the tool, so your actual personality has little impact ....instead they use an algorithm to analyze for consistency in responses, and repeated extreme answers, to screen out the cheaters. Only 1 out of 100 people make it through the screening process.

    I did consider altering my answers on the profiling tool to match what I thought they wanted, but at the time I was so miserable trying to fit in with the company I was at, that my general attitude towards a new company was "fuck them, if they dont like who i really am, I dont want to work there"

    My INTP mercenary used to work in recruiting and he said huge numbers of people cheat and get excluded. However he, like Rasofy, said he didnt cheat because he thought it would be obvious that they were looking for cheaters.

Similar Threads

  1. "What door would you walk through" personality test
    By Aleria in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-06-2017, 06:33 PM
  2. [NF] NFs-Would you alter your personality test to get a job?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
  3. Would You Forfeit Your Ability to Analyze a Situation in Exchange for Group-Think?
    By JediVulcanisim in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
  4. [NT] NTs: How would you describe your ideal SO?
    By Wind Up Rex in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO