User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 41

  1. #1
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default Dominant-Tertiary loops of INTP's

    I've been trying to figure out my roommate for a while now... and I think I've finally come to the conclusion that he is stuck in a Ti/Si loop. (For an explanation on dom-ter loops refer to: Dominant/Tertiary Loops and Common Personality Disorders)

    I'm curious what some of the behaviors of one stuck in this particular way-too-introverted world would look like.

    Description of my roommate: He displays a good bit of Ti. However, I never really picked up on any Se or Ne. He definitely didn't strike me as an INTJ. We clash quite a bit with our different modes of thinking. He definitely lacked Fi, and has very inferior Fe. However, he is controlling in a way that might distinguish one to be more of a J type, rather than a P. But he's careless and irresponsible when it comes to a lot of the things he needs to do. For example, he'll complain to me about not taking out the trash, and then will continue to talk down to me in a very negative fashion. Or constantly rearranges my belongings, or belongings of guest who come to visit me (he never has guests). But he can't seem to get our water bill paid on time. He's often paranoid. Very into conspiracy theories. He's accused me of things I've never done, such as snooping through his room. He deems me to be reckless and irresponsible though I've never not paid him money for any of the bills and always clean up after myself, and often after him, too. He micromanages me when I cook or clean. And his words are always loaded. His method for asking me to do something is always indirect. Ex. "You know to wipe down the surface of the washer when you spill detergent on it, right?" He sorta/kinda drives me completely insane. His emotions always seemed a bit forced and fake. His laugh is forced and always loud. He talks to himself and hums a lot. I mention the humming, because he often seems to be faking a level of comfort and happiness. He really seems to stick to things that he already knows and is comfortable with. He's not very adventurous when it comes to food or anything really. If he's found a method for doing something, he sticks with it. He often appears OCD due to his rigidness. Like according to him, my keys MUST go on a very specific nail of the keyholder by the door. And my jacket must go on a very specific side of the jacket holder. And the one couch is off limits to me, because that's where he sits. Etc. This had lead me to think he uses more Si. Perhaps my thinking is incorrect?

    Those caught in a Si/Ti and Ti/Si loop are prone to the schizotypal personality disorder, according to my source. But I don't know that I fully understand it. How similar is it to schizophrenia?


    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Edit: I forgot the second part of my questioning.

    How WOULD one develop their less used Ne? I'm not sure how Ne truly works and wouldn't know how an INTP should exercise that side of their self.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  2. #2
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Possibly very strong internal constructs about the world which are expressed externally in sensory rigidity - needing to control the concrete world and becoming upset when tangible things change or come into conflict with internal needs and expectations. (I wrote this before reading through your post)
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    To counter the trend of pathology-based thinking, I suggest reading Ross Reinhold's article: The Faces of Personality Type Development.
    He uses an ENFP as an example and clearly discusses why the extraverted side of an ENFP (Ne-Te) is a normal side of the type, not a so-called "loop" or being "stuck."

    Article is here:

    http://www.personalitypathways.com/faces.html

  4. #4
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    I think when Ne gets neglected, Ne-auxs stop trusting their ability to see things in new ways, to see the relationships between things...they just kinda give up, stop considering possibilities, and instead "go with what they know". They stop taking in information and can even see it as threatening and can become confrontational about it. I can even see this extending to their environment because it can cost energy in 'resetting' things...the less energy they have to devote to the outside, the more they can stay in their head where they are in control.

  5. #5
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post

    How WOULD one develop their less used Ne? I'm not sure how Ne truly works and wouldn't know how an INTP should exercise that side of their self.
    I would say the best way to do that is to seek out social encounters that he'd find rewarding, extroverted activity should entice him to use Ne more and solve many of the problems you're describing. Meditation and mindfulness training can also help as that would push him to focus on his senses as opposed to abstract notions.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Schizophrenia is more Ni looping on itself, but either way, if what you say is correct, your roommate sounds messed up. What's his problem?

  7. #7
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    Schizophrenia is more Ni looping on itself, but either way, if what you say is correct, your roommate sounds messed up. What's his problem?
    He's just sorta nuts and intolerable. And it's not just my opinion that thinks so. We work at the same place, and everyone there has a similar opinion about him. I was simply naive by moving in and thinking that it could work out. He's far worse at home than at work.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  8. #8
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I would say the best way to do that is to seek out social encounters that he'd find rewarding, extroverted activity should entice him to use Ne more and solve many of the problems you're describing. Meditation and mindfulness training can also help as that would push him to focus on his senses as opposed to abstract notions.
    It's really hard to talk him into social interactions. He talks down about most everyone we know. He has a set opinion and refuses to let it budge.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  9. #9
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    It's really hard to talk him into social interactions. He talks down about most everyone we know. He has a set opinion and refuses to let it budge.
    Then he isn't ready for it, meditation or some other form of mindfulness training should be the first step.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I've been trying to figure out my roommate for a while now... and I think I've finally come to the conclusion that he is stuck in a Ti/Si loop. (For an explanation on dom-ter loops refer to: http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14436)

    I'm curious what some of the behaviors of one stuck in this particular way-too-introverted world would look like.

    Description of my roommate: He displays a good bit of Ti. However, I never really picked up on any Se or Ne. He definitely didn't strike me as an INTJ. We clash quite a bit with our different modes of thinking. He definitely lacked Fi, and has very inferior Fe. However, he is controlling in a way that might distinguish one to be more of a J type, rather than a P. But he's careless and irresponsible when it comes to a lot of the things he needs to do. For example, he'll complain to me about not taking out the trash, and then will continue to talk down to me in a very negative fashion. Or constantly rearranges my belongings, or belongings of guest who come to visit me (he never has guests). But he can't seem to get our water bill paid on time. He's often paranoid. Very into conspiracy theories. He's accused me of things I've never done, such as snooping through his room. He deems me to be reckless and irresponsible though I've never not paid him money for any of the bills and always clean up after myself, and often after him, too. He micromanages me when I cook or clean. And his words are always loaded. His method for asking me to do something is always indirect. Ex. "You know to wipe down the surface of the washer when you spill detergent on it, right?" He sorta/kinda drives me completely insane. His emotions always seemed a bit forced and fake. His laugh is forced and always loud. He talks to himself and hums a lot. I mention the humming, because he often seems to be faking a level of comfort and happiness. He really seems to stick to things that he already knows and is comfortable with. He's not very adventurous when it comes to food or anything really. If he's found a method for doing something, he sticks with it. He often appears OCD due to his rigidness. Like according to him, my keys MUST go on a very specific nail of the keyholder by the door. And my jacket must go on a very specific side of the jacket holder. And the one couch is off limits to me, because that's where he sits. Etc. This had lead me to think he uses more Si. Perhaps my thinking is incorrect?

    Those caught in a Si/Ti and Ti/Si loop are prone to the schizotypal personality disorder, according to my source. But I don't know that I fully understand it. How similar is it to schizophrenia?


    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Edit: I forgot the second part of my questioning.

    How WOULD one develop their less used Ne? I'm not sure how Ne truly works and wouldn't know how an INTP should exercise that side of their self.
    So, have you confronted him about any of this? Maybe you need to work on your Se just as much as he needs to work on his Ne....
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] God: The ultimate object of INTP analysis
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
  2. Dominant-Tertiary Loops
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
  3. [INTP] what do you think of intp girls
    By Ulaes in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 06:00 AM
  4. Dominant-Tertiary loop similarities/differences
    By FalseHeartDothKnow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
  5. [JCF] Introverted Intuition not Introverted thinking the primary\dominant function of INTPs
    By ObliviousExistence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO