• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] A Difference Between XNTJ types and XNTP types

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I was discussing irrational Bush haters with my INTJ friend.

We are both liberal politically and can agree that Bush's policies have done more harm than good for the country.

However, we differ on what we think of those who choose to hate Bush because the media encourages it or that it is cool to do so- people that make their decision to do so without finding out why they should dislike Bush.

While my INTJ friend acknowledges that many people don't think about why they hate Bush, he is content with the idea that they believe in what he considers to be the right conclusion. He would condemn and dislike a rational conservative before he would do so to an irrational liberal.

I think the reverse that it doesn't matter that the guy who talks about how much he hates Bush has the same 'political beliefs' of me- if he doesn't know why he does so, then I'd encourage that person to actually study the issues and come to his own conclusion- if that person is capable of doing so of course.

I guess it goes back to that question on many MBTI tests to distinguish between J and P:

What's more important?
The results themselves
The process used to achieve the results

I think another difference in terms of politics, is that J types are more likely to stick with a certain ideology and be rigid about it, while a P type would seem more 'moderate' because he or she would be aware that the same policy doesn't work for every circumstance.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Perhaps.. it's certainly true an INTJ may use their externalised thinking to project their inner ideas on a situation. Whether that would lead to a blanket desire for results above reason for them seems a little harsh.

Of course, US politics seems to polarise so strongly that this is probably a bad kind of generalisation to base on type.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I was discussing irrational Bush haters with my INTJ friend.

However, we differ on what we think of those who choose to hate Bush because the media encourages it or that it is cool to do so- people that make their decision to do so without finding out why they should dislike Bush.

People that do this contribute to giving their respective parties bad names, whatever their type, and I think that the parties as a whole are probably better off without the likes and/or support of such individuals. An equivalent individual on the Right would probably be some ideologically fundamentalist Christian person who dismisses the entire liberal/democratic party as "liberal atheist scum" (an exaggeration, I know). If, as a liberal (not that I am) I can't tolerate that kind of person on the Right, then I shouldn't tolerate the same type of (ideologically rigid, unreasonable) person on the Left. Sorry, this probably doesn't address your main question...

For the record I think that your hypothesis about J's being more inclined to comfortably allow this type of behavior than P's is consistent with the type descriptions, if nothing else.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
He would condemn and dislike a rational conservative before he would do so to an irrational liberal.

Is this something he actually said or something you've concluded yourself? I had other stuff typed, but I'll work on that tomorrow. :p

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
XNTJs can usually see subtleties in ideologies but are much more likely to go along with extremes because the 'ends justify the means'.

That's why NTJs are often villains.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
re: the OP, I don't know if it's a J/P thing, so much as the political climate and intellectual laziness, combined with a desire to be both "cool" and aware, when one is neither.

I can't stand people like that. I don't care whether I agree with them politically or not, spouting a soundbite or towing the party line without being able to back it up with any sort of evidence just makes me have contempt for them. It's also why politics in general makes me crazy. I'm generally content to just figure things out for myself and then stay out of the fray.

I've also noticed that the ones who know the least are the most vocal. Why is that?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
XNTJs can usually see subtleties in ideologies but are much more likely to go along with extremes because the 'ends justify the means'.

That's why NTJs are often villains.

Haha! That is a good point. :yes:
This was pretty much his view on why he was fine with people disliking conservatives without knowing WHY they disliked them: the ends justify the means: the more people that support liberalism, the better. Since his view is that the general public isn't capable of forming their own opinion anyway..

Uytuun: He has never openly said that, since he doesn't exactly view anyone who is conservative as being 'rational'- if they are intelligent- they are definitely 'misguided'.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've also noticed that the ones who know the least are the most vocal. Why is that?

I'm not sure why. It may be because the most vocal people know so little that they actually do see the world as 'black' and 'white' and are not even aware of the shades of gray rather than just ignoring them to suit their purposes.

I agree that intellectual laziness is not a J/P difference. Some like my INTJ friend are fairly well-informed on policy issues and I respect him because he knows why he is a far-to-the-left liberal. Only thing (which I guess could be J-ish too) is that he's a one-issue sort of guy, anything that harms the environment=bad and anything that helps the environment=good.

LucrativeSid

If we are talking about NTs, logic is surely a defining factor here, regardless of whether they are P or J. And logic is obviously interpreted differently by different people. I don't really see any difference in the methods or approaches - it's just following different purposes.

If your J friend was adhering to a different ideal - his viewpoint may have been entirely different. His ideal is for a healthier environment regardless of how uneducated the people who benefit from it are? What if his logic said that education is the key to environmental problems because once a person studies, not only will they make the right decision when voting, but they will actually stand up and do more than that? Both ways place a high concern on environmental issues, but have different logical stances.

I think a person's end always justifies their means. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. Even when they do nothing it still works.

Plus, a J won't have any problem avoiding the extreme if they think it makes less sense when it comes to helping the cause they feel is worthy. A P could be extreme if he thought it made enough sense.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I guess it goes back to that question on many MBTI tests to distinguish between J and P:

What's more important?
The results themselves
I guess this is one of the things that makes me a pretty extreme P. The results achieved depend on the process, so the process is more important. Well, assuming you want good results, and not just any results.

re: the OP, I don't know if it's a J/P thing, so much as the political climate and intellectual laziness, combined with a desire to be both "cool" and aware, when one is neither.

I can't stand people like that. I don't care whether I agree with them politically or not, spouting a soundbite or towing the party line without being able to back it up with any sort of evidence just makes me have contempt for them. It's also why politics in general makes me crazy. I'm generally content to just figure things out for myself and then stay out of the fray.
What she said.

Because you can't listen and talk at the same time? And not just in the simplistic, literal sense.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It's probably not related to type. I can recall political vehemence from likely members of nearly every type for figures in either major party. Exceptions might be ESFJs and ISFJs. Stereotypically, the former will very, very seriously reprove an official; while the latter will go silent when politics comes up, nod and acknowledge each ideology's claims, and . . . quietly vote straight-ticket come Election Day.

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
I dunno, but for myself and amongst my small circle of INTJs (who don't get together en masse, but tend to do one-on-one things) this is what I've observed:

People who don't have good logic/rationale for a view are irritating and are likely to be dismissed as a good source of info/opinion by INTJs. :rolli: Demonstrate that often enough and you will get written off longer term (just in terms of credibility, not necessarily across the board socially etc).

My ENTJ husband would have seen them as potential problems if they happened to be part of his strategic landscape - people to be fixed :shock: and failing that to be marginalised / "dealt with" to neutralise them.

I don't think that xNTJs are "extreme" so much as strong and certain - some are quite middle of a particular spectrum.

So, lets say I'm at a social event and I hear somebody give a "received" point of view about something I care about that I can't agree with I might engage with them. It would be to test their conviction and understanding of their pov, and at least get them to consider other ideas and to look deeper.

Now if somebody expressed a view that agreed with mine own we'd probably just reaffirm each other. If they let on that they "received" the view rather than thought it through I'd take the line that "well at least they've got the right one".

My hubby (ENTJ) would take a more aggressive stance - but only if the views would impact an outcome that mattered to him. Or if he felt like a bit of "sport".

Generally when people find themselves in agreement they don't seem to need to probe further the "why". When there is disagreement there's a desire to know "why" and to maybe change the other person's view. Also our core values have more impact on what we will agree with - eg "free market" vs other options is based on beliefs about human nature and how reality works. So somebody may swallow a "sound byte" and spit it out because it explains their views/beliefs adequately and in a "catchier" way than they could do themselves.

I've seen this with many types (even xSFP if they feel something very strongly to be right - I spent 2 years studying ceramics with a whole lot of them not letting go of some point!!!!) and is is more a function of the strength of the attachment to the idea (again a values thing) rather than type. The type really indicate show they deal with it - come on forcefully or not, emotional/logical, rigid or enquiring/exploratory).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a P:
- I dislike what Bush has done and think in many ways he's a shoddy thinker.
- Personally I would not vilify him. He's human. And stupid. But not "evil." (In fact, like Lemony Snickett says, most people are not "evil" -- they're tossed salads, a mix of good and bad. hee.)
- I also know I'm not a big political buff, nor care to know all the intricacies. Therefore I have to remain open and only judge in the areas where there seems to be large discrepancies.

In general, that's how I approach evaluations. I'm willing to leave lots of things open. I get annoyed when someone jumps from a person making (a) lousy decision(s) to suddenly vilifying everything that person does.

Put another way:
What's more important?
The results themselves

The bolded answer, hands down.

And my problem with Bush actually probably revolves more around how he solves problems rather than even necessarily the solutions. His solutions and thinking have generally seemed shoddy.

Srho

MBTI Type
INFX
My ENTJ friend is a really staunch Democrat. He always calls Republicans stupid and ignorant and said that a girl I am cool with should be burned to death for wearing a Bush T-shirt. With Bush, I guess this is to be expected from some of the disgruntled ones, but really? It seems a bit much even for an NTJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My ENTJ friend is a really staunch Democrat. He always calls Republicans stupid and ignorant and said that a girl I am cool with should be burned to death for wearing a Bush T-shirt. With Bush, I guess this is to be expected from some of the disgruntled ones, but really? It seems a bit much even for an NTJ.

HAHAHAH

I like your ENTJ friend.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
In reference to the Bush hater...

As a political science major, I have to stay up to date with all that nonsense.
But frankly, I dislike it. People are so freaking fanatical about it - it annoys me. I have a roommate who is so anti-Bush, that the word bush alone sends shivers up her spine in anger.

I do everything in my power to use the word Bush, with proper emphasis, in as many sentences as I can when around her. It pleases me to see her squirm in her hatred.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do everything in my power to use the word Bush, with proper emphasis, in as many sentences as I can when around her. It pleases me to see her squirm in her hatred.

That's no different than saying you want to set people on fire. It actually probably has more real consequences, because I doubt very seriously his (or her) ENTJ friend is going to have anyone burned.

That's why I thought Srho being indignant about it was so hilarious.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Bahah, that may be true.
But she's an evil woman and her Bush hatred amuses me because she doesn't have her own opinions - she has the opinions of her parents. Back your facts up. I stay out of the politics because of that reason - I am very much moderate/independent - but it's annoying when people can't back up their own beliefs.

I don't care if she hated Bush, Obama, or coffee. I'd still find a way to annoy her. Petty, yes. :shrug: But at least I admit to my pettyness with her!! bahaha

And I dunno...you get a crazy person with their political stance being 'attacked' -- I wouldn't step near them. No siree, I'd stay away from that nonsense.