• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Fictional Characters

subwayrider

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wanted to make this thread because I think every type deserves its own "Fictional Characters" thread. :D

Also, I have one I'm pretty sure about, and I love running and publishing these informal analyses.

Will post shortly.

subwayrider

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Johnny C.

3384.jpg

From Johnny The Homicidal Maniac

INTP

The first thing there is to say about this character is that typing him is a tad problematic: Just because he's a serial killer does not mean I, in any way, intend to perpetuate stereotypes. I'm not saying Ts are always the cold-hearted killers or that Fs can't be; I'm saying...Johnny is INTP. Besides, for the first half of the series, he's under the control of some underworld kingpin whose job it is to possess one human being who will dispose of as many people as possible who are a burden to human civilization.

I will start by looking at the things he hates. The same way INFPs can often focus their Fi values on criticisms of outward logical structures and systems (Te), (e.g., the not-so-humane way a company is run, police brutality) INTPs can focus their Ti principles on criticism directed at outward social structures (Fe). Johnny is an extreme case of a hater of society -- even of human civilization, making him a misanthrope. He finds countless flaws in his society, finding people guilty of irrational, animalistic behavior. He longs for a world in which Homo sapien would live up to its name.

Because he values rationality, logic, and knowledge, above all, and because he's so clearly an Introvert residing namely within the confines of his own mind, he's thus far IT. When we add in his paradoxical hatred of, and unrelenting focus on, human society, he becomes ITP. He also seeks to eliminate all emotion from his being, aspiring to become "as cold as the moon." All this is indicative of an ITP who has yet to begin to integrate Inferior Fe, and is still caught in the throes of that love/hate relationship.

Indeed, Johnny is a familiar embodiment of that archetype, The Thinker, concerned with finding out the truth of his reality, understanding that every "solution" is merely another name for "more problems." Ti is a right-brain function, and, as such, is wholistic in its understanding, not wanting to leave any nook or corner unlit, unable to distinguish between a whole and its parts. As such, he is ever subject to, as the INTP archetype goes, excruciating self-doubt that arises from a keen awareness of the inevitable gray areas in personal understanding. Just as Fi understands, and can pick apart, more than systematized Fe, subtle feeling tones and nuance, so does Ti more often pick up on minute inconsistency and dwarf contradictions in its workings than expedient and efficient Te.

Johnny's killing sprees in the first half of the series might indicate some kind of out-of-control Se, but Johnny wasn't quite himself in this half because he was under mind-control. When he comes back to life as his real self, he's much more in control and sedentary, spending most of his time pondering how to make his life better.

From my readings, I've gathered that, while the greatest antipathy is most often felt for the Inferior, a similar sentiment can exist for the Tertiary if the person has not gone through the integration process. I've mentioned that Johnny shuns and wishes to fully shut out all emotion from his functioning, but to a slightly lesser extent he also seeks to shut out his physical needs. He hates sleep, hates the need for food, the need for sex...pretty much the need for anything. If he could, he would become fully emancipated from his body.

Because he harbors disdain for what equates to his Feeling function (Fe) and his Sensing Function (Si), the two he operates on most of the time must be Thinking and Intuition -- in that order. Indeed, Johnny's thoughts, when expressed, are very abstract and deal with big picture topics.

Johnny is an INTP who is under mind-control for the first half of his series, which makes him somewhat unrecognizable for that term. Once he is reborn, however, he is much more lucid and verily resembles an INTP working on becoming a more healthy, balanced individual.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I nominate Neville Longbottom from the Harry Potter series:

NevillePoster.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps Charlie from "Numb3rs". I say this in part because I know an INTP irl who is very much like him. I could come back with more of the analysis for it.

What about Liz Lemon from 30Rock?

This is a comedian and not a character exactly, but Demitri Martin seems very INTP-ish.

Also, Catherine (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) from the movie "Proof" is an extreme example of an INTP.

Not just a character, but John Nash is an INTP for certain imo.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's not a villain; that's like calling Mini-Me a villain.

minimi.png
You have an unorthodox definition of villain, then. I don't know Mini-Me, so the comparison does not help.

subwayrider

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You have an unorthodox definition of villain, then. I don't know Mini-Me, so the comparison does not help.

The problem of definitions comes up a lot in the discussions in which I partake. An objective source, like a dictionary, is what I'll invariably turn to.

Language is a funny thing, isn't it? Even in a ratified source, the same word can mean many different things. One need not be crossing the language barrier for meaning to be "lost in translation."

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem of definitions comes up a lot in the discussions in which I partake. An objective source, like a dictionary, is what I'll invariably turn to.

Language is a funny thing, isn't it? Even in a ratified source, the same word can mean many different things. One need not be crossing the language barrier for meaning to be "lost in translation."
Language is a tool, like any other, and requires some skill for effective use. Definitions are a problem only when assumed and not clarified. I would be interested in your definition of "villain" that excludes Peter Pettigrew.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Bradley Cooper from Limitless
Lt. Barclay and Geordi from Next Generation

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
death_note_seven_minutes_in_heaven_l_by_vampiregodesnyx-d68mx80.png

L from that anime that makes you question my type.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Varys from Game of Thrones typed INTP in one of those MBTI character charts. Not sure I agree though.

Andmed

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
A lot of people tiped to Gandalf (Lord of The Rings) as an INTJ.

Gandalf has always seemed me an INTP at their peak of ripeness. Recently I was reading the novel and note that, in the beginning of the story, as he does not tells Frodo frontally what to do. He asks "what have you decided?". That seems more Ti inner control. "Many who live deserve death and many that die deserve to living. Can you give life? So do not rush to dispense death." That seems a good example de Fe philosophy, these profound ideas that INTP to arrive at maturity.

Other examples of fictional INTP that come to mind are Lloyd from Code Geass, and Nagato from Haruhi Susumiya. Ah, and Data from Star Treek.