• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ Autodidacts

Do you describe yourself as an autodidact?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

PrincessDoc

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm in med school, so are all the other INTJs I know. I just realized that all the INTJs I know including myself are autodidacts.
Among the many things we have in common, we find it difficult to learn when we're not learning autonomously. Most of the time we find it difficult to study for the sake of tests and usually learn better when we're not studying for a test. It does make things a little difficult being in med school and my interests outside of medicine being varied. I usually feel like I don't have enough time to learn as much as want to. But I have some how managed my time the last few years between med school work and teaching my self other stuff. I find it interesting that the only autodidacts I know are INTJs. So I'm just curious if INTJs tend to be autodidacts. Would you describe yourself as an autodidact? what are your interests?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in med school, so are all the other INTJs I know. I just realized that all the INTJs I know including myself are autodidacts.
Among the many things we have in common, we find it difficult to learn when we're not learning autonomously. Most of the time we find it difficult to study for the sake of tests and usually learn better when we're not studying for a test. It does make things a little difficult being in med school and my interests outside of medicine being varied. I usually feel like I don't have enough time to learn as much as want to. But I have some how managed my time the last few years between med school work and teaching my self other stuff. I find it interesting that the only autodidacts I know are INTJs. So I want to know how many of you INTJs are autodidacts? what are your interests?

I'm no INTJ, so I didn't participate in your poll, but I'd describe myself as an autodidact, to some extent (as in, self-teaching comes relatively easily for me). I don't know that autodidactism could be limited to one MBTI type alone. I've known a few Ti-doms (IxTPs) who'd relate to that description. Other types, as well.

Perhaps it's prevalent in some types more so than others. :shrug:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an INTJ, I learn many things on my own but I don't describe myself as an autodidact. I'm (just like everyone else) a geek over various things, except that I tend to be incredibly obsessive with my "fun". Others have told me that it makes me "interesting" (i.e. scary), but I personally just do what I feel like doing. Plus as an introvert I'm not that social so I have a lot of alone-time to do stuff that entertains myself.

History is a big thing for me, I'm constantly reading about historical events and listening to history podcasts. I love music and taught myself how to play the guitar and bass in the last 6 years. I tried playing drums but the neighbours got really mad so I got rid of the kit. I speak, read/write 3 languages on a regular basis. Japanese literature, culture and anime is another area of interest (I learned Japanese so I could read my favourite Murakami novels in their original form). I love books beyond all reason. There was also a period when I was very into drawing and drew my own depressingly dark comics. There are 3 sports that I have an astoundingly stupid amount of useless knowledge about - Cricket, Football (the kind you play with your feet) and Cycling. I've also done barrista courses and regularly research different blends and single origin coffees to try because I'm obsessive about my coffee too.

My day job is in science though.. It only seems natural to me to find distraction away from the lab but allows me to be alone. I don't think I'm an autodidact, I'm just very obsessive and have had quite a bit of time to do stuff LOL.

Nicodemus

Although I, as most people with an interest in knowledge, fit the criteria for being an an autodidact, I do not describe myself as one, because it seems ridiculous to me. Learning is what I do. Some of what I know I do know from schools and universities, but all the knowledge I trust is, in a sense, self-gathered or self-confirmed. If something interests me, I read about it. I would never wait for a class about a subject of interest to pop up somewhere. With public libraries, ever more educational literature, and the internet, conventional teaching has been vastly diminished in necessity. If it were not for some people I know, I would say autodidacticism is an obsolete concept.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Among the many things we have in common, we find it difficult to learn when we're not learning autonomously. Most of the time we find it difficult to study for the sake of tests and usually learn better when we're not studying for a test. It does make things a little difficult being in med school and my interests outside of medicine being varied. I usually feel like I don't have enough time to learn as much as want to. But I have some how managed my time the last few years between med school work and teaching my self other stuff. I find it interesting that the only autodidacts I know are INTJs. So I want to know how many of you INTJs are autodidacts? what are your interests?

I'm eNTP, but this describes me exactly. I only thought about med school. It would drive me insane. :D