• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ and HSP

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do we have any INTJs here who consider themselves to be HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) as well?

How do you think being an HSP affects you as an INTJ? Considering type descriptions, what does it add or change?

I am INTJ and I believe I am an HSP as well. Even though the INTJ type descriptions hit quite well on me, there is still something about me that makes me feel that they are missing something and I think HSP descriptions fill that gap better than any other explanation.

I may add some thoughts myself as well later but first, I'd like to see if anyone else has anything to say.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
HSP = inferior Se pretty much.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yes, I am an INTJ, and probably could be considered an HSP as well.

HSP does not equal inferior Se. There are plenty of non-Ni doms who are HSPs. :rolleyes:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My ex-girlfriend, an ENFP HSP who read all those books on HSPs, introduced me to the notion, and we both agreed that it seemed to fit. I haven't looked into the idea all that much, just enough of a cursory glance to get the general idea. I find the handling of it a little annoying, cuz it creates this whole group, and then treats them like they're special, but I think there is some truth to it, it just tastes a little bad in my mouth when it gets too frou frou (I was raised to despise shit like that). Anyway, I read that checklist on the link you provided, and answer yes to a bunch of them. The odd thing is, and this is true most of the time when it comes to my personality: in some circumstances those things will fit, and, in others, I will go totally in the opposite direction. I think it has a lot to do with being an enneagram 6, and being counterphobic. They say it about us all the time. We're... just... very contradictory. At one moment we'll be one way, and another we'll be the exact opposite. It has to do with whether we're gunna let the stimulus act on us, or if we're going to react and go against it. So, yeah, I mean, combine that with what I said about how I was raised, and sometimes I'll be just how you'd expect an HSP to be, and at other times I'll go straight to the center of the storm and dominate what's going on (whether that means taking control of a crisis situation, or just being the most powerful person in the room). Regardless of which approach I take, tho, my HSP qualities will always be there, either as something driving how I'm behaving in terms of acting like you'd expect an HSP to act, or driving how I'm behaving in terms of going in completely the opposite direction (while still possessing that same inherent sensitivity, just... kinda... shutting it down for the moment [I still listen to it, actually, I just don't let it cause me to "shrink away", as you'd kinda expect an HSP to do; rather, I use it to impel me to take control {and, interestingly, to put a huge emphasis on being fair, equitable, and just, when I do take control (being highly sensitive seems to make one highly empathetic, and this empathy stays with me still when I'm in a state of being powerful and expansive, as it's easy for me to remember what it's like to feel powerless and largely subject to external forces beyond my control [in fact, while I'd say I've always been this way, rather recently -- the last six months or so, especially -- the importance of this idea has become very conscious and at the forefront of my thinking])}]).

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Somone on another forum once posted info about HSPs and I find that I dont relate to it.

If you are HSP and inferior Se, HSP will be expressed through inferior Se.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it has a lot to do with being an enneagram 6, and being counterphobic. They say it about us all the time. We're... just... very contradictory. At one moment we'll be one way, and another we'll be the exact opposite. It has to do with whether we're gunna let the stimulus act on us, or if we're going to react and go against it. So, yeah, I mean, combine that with what I said about how I was raised, and sometimes I'll be just how you'd expect an HSP to be, and at other times I'll go straight to the center of the storm and dominate what's going on (whether that means taking control of a crisis situation, or just being the most powerful person in the room). Regardless of which approach I take, tho, my HSP qualities will always be there, either as something driving how I'm behaving in terms of acting like you'd expect an HSP to act, or driving how I'm behaving in terms of going in completely the opposite direction (while still possessing that same inherent sensitivity, just... kinda... shutting it down for the moment [I still listen to it, actually, I just don't let it cause me to "shrink away", as you'd kinda expect an HSP to do; rather, I use it to impel me to take control {and, interestingly, to put a huge emphasis on being fair, equitable, and just, when I do take control (being highly sensitive seems to make one highly empathetic, and this empathy stays with me still when I'm in a state of being powerful and expansive, as it's easy for me to remember what it's like to feel powerless and largely subject to external forces beyond my control [in fact, while I'd say I've always been this way, rather recently -- the last six months or so, especially -- the importance of this idea has become very conscious and at the forefront of my thinking])}]).

That is is pretty interesting.

A few of the HSP criteria apply to me but not many, so I doubt I'm an HSP. In some situations, like sitting in an airplane, the sensory stimulation drives me nuts but at other times, I can be pretty oblivious to what's going on around me. I am pretty sensitive to reading the reactions of people I'm interacting with - overly sensitive at times - so I've got heightened awareness in that way.

The counterphobic aspects of your response do resonate with me and while I try to be diplomatic, I don't think I'm as empathetic as you are - at least with respect to the feeling powerless or subject to external forces anyway. I don't like situations where i'm subject to control of others but in the marketplace, that tends to be unavoidable.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a term I've seen thrown around all over the place lately. Is it the new trendy disorder in psychology or something?

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
My ex-girlfriend, an ENFP HSP who read all those books on HSPs, introduced me to the notion, and we both agreed that it seemed to fit. I haven't looked into the idea all that much, just enough of a cursory glance to get the general idea. I find the handling of it a little annoying, cuz it creates this whole group, and then treats them like they're special, but I think there is some truth to it, it just tastes a little bad in my mouth when it gets too frou frou (I was raised to despise shit like that). Anyway, I read that checklist on the link you provided, and answer yes to a bunch of them. The odd thing is, and this is true most of the time when it comes to my personality: in some circumstances those things will fit, and, in others, I will go totally in the opposite direction. I think it has a lot to do with being an enneagram 6, and being counterphobic. They say it about us all the time. We're... just... very contradictory. At one moment we'll be one way, and another we'll be the exact opposite. It has to do with whether we're gunna let the stimulus act on us, or if we're going to react and go against it. So, yeah, I mean, combine that with what I said about how I was raised, and sometimes I'll be just how you'd expect an HSP to be, and at other times I'll go straight to the center of the storm and dominate what's going on (whether that means taking control of a crisis situation, or just being the most powerful person in the room). Regardless of which approach I take, tho, my HSP qualities will always be there, either as something driving how I'm behaving in terms of acting like you'd expect an HSP to act, or driving how I'm behaving in terms of going in completely the opposite direction (while still possessing that same inherent sensitivity, just... kinda... shutting it down for the moment [I still listen to it, actually, I just don't let it cause me to "shrink away", as you'd kinda expect an HSP to do; rather, I use it to impel me to take control {and, interestingly, to put a huge emphasis on being fair, equitable, and just, when I do take control (being highly sensitive seems to make one highly empathetic, and this empathy stays with me still when I'm in a state of being powerful and expansive, as it's easy for me to remember what it's like to feel powerless and largely subject to external forces beyond my control [in fact, while I'd say I've always been this way, rather recently -- the last six months or so, especially -- the importance of this idea has become very conscious and at the forefront of my thinking])}]).

I recognise that contradictoryness - or dualism of being both observer and actor - in myself as well. Actually, I am sometimes worried of giving people totally wrong impression of myself as the two sides really are very different. I recently found an assessment tool called DiSC in which the type many INTJs map to (C-D) is said to have potential for problems in finding balance between being assertive and receptive :)

I also recognise in me the empathy as you described it. It's a strange thing as sometimes I can't help wondering if I am just being too soft but then again, I can't think of being anything else and I also don't think I actually am too soft. On the other hand, I usually give people a lot of space, which I think is due to respect for sincerety originating from Fi but I wonder if that has something to do with being an HSP as well.