User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default ENTP's: Does your brainstorming method anger people?

I'm an ENTP and it seems like my method of brainstorming often angers people. My method of problem solving can be described in this way: First, I gather as much data as I can to solve potential problems. Keep in mind, this data can come from several places: news articles, books, experts in the field, etc. After that, I then look at that data and see if it makes sense to me. If it makes sense to me, then I use it. However, I often times don't always use all of that information, and only use the information that makes sense to me specifically. This often pisses people off. Let me give you an example...

When I was in sales, I would quite often ask my managers for advice on how to sell more products. They would then give me advice, and I would often use quite a bit of their advice. However, I often times would reject what they said, and tell them that trying to sell someone in the particular way that they were pitching, didn't make sense to me and that I wouldn't use it. They would then get furious at me and then say things like, "But I'm the expert in this and been doing this forever! Why the hell wouldn't you take my advice?!!" and "Why the hell do you think that what you are gonna do is gonna work better than what I tell you to do?!!" I then still didn't care and went with what made sense to me. I ask people for advice and consult experts in order to gather data on how to potentially solve a problem and not in order to actually have people solve my problems for me. This angers a lot of people and I wind up with a lot of enemies due to my problem solving method.

ENTP's of typologycentral, do you find that you have the same problem?

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I can't say that I haven't pissed off my share of people, but that type of brainstorming isn't used by me, so I can't say I can relate. Some people do get angry when you ask for advice though and don't use it. I imagine it feels like an ego stroke that turned into a punch.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I'm supposed to be the expert in my field of knowledge (and I'm paid for that), so no, I never had the kind of problem you mention. When I participate in "brain storms", usually people take great care to listen what I say. However, because I am an NP, I suppose my leading style is very different from most authority figures you have already met. I will never get furious, I'm open to any new idea, and I don't like to control my subordinates or the members of my research team. A good friend of mine once told me I was very egalitarian, "even when I really shouldn't", like, for instance, with my own students.

On the other hand, yes I've often been in conflict with administration, bureaucracy or people who insisted on the respect of strict hierarchical rules and procedures.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    ENTP's of typologycentral, do you find that you have the same problem?
    Curious INFP here. “It is not what you say that matters but the manner in which you say it; there lies the secret of the ages.” William Carlos Williams. Ftr, I too struggle, sometimes mightily, trying to implement this. I like getting what I want (who doesn't?) and making unneccessary enemies along the way seems counter productive.

Results go a long way, if your methods work, show them this, nicely, hehe.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    I can't say that I haven't pissed off my share of people, but that type of brainstorming isn't used by me, so I can't say I can relate. Some people do get angry when you ask for advice though and don't use it. I imagine it feels like an ego stroke that turned into a punch.
    I wonder if it's an E6 thing?