User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    In the West, we had the enlightenment.

    The values of the Enlightenment include logic, reason and evidence.

    Enlightenment also means "to fill with light."

    People on the internet usually also have functioning lightbulbs.

    Thus, their homes are fillled with light and are enlightened.

    So people that use the Internet are filled with logic and reason, and cannot use fallacies.
    I'll buy that.








    for 2 cents.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #22
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    ^ I'm pretty sure if you post things in a format where each paragraph is only one sentence long, this makes your statements unassailable cathedrals of logic. The shorter the paragraphs, the more logical the argument.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    In the West, we had the enlightenment.

    The values of the Enlightenment include logic, reason and evidence.

    Enlightenment also means "to fill with light."

    People on the internet usually also have functioning lightbulbs.

    Thus, their homes are fillled with light and are enlightened.

    So people that use the Internet are filled with logic and reason, and cannot use fallacies.
    I'm not yellow hat enough to buy that, I'm more black hat like @Victor:
    http://www.debonoconsulting.com/black-hat-thinking.asp
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #24
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,050

    Default

    Yellow hat thinking sounds like Fi. @Mal+

    Apparently I'm blue hat.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  5. #25
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yellow hat thinking sounds like Fi. @Mal+

    Apparently I'm blue hat.
    So you did visit the page then, @msg_v2. Now you must practice wearing all the hats. Start with the white hat.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #26
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It annoys me that people don't take logical fallacies seriously.
    Unfortunately they are only taken seriously by those who take logic seriously in the first place. They are basically rules of logic, but if no one is playing by the rules....

    In any case those not adhering to them usually don't understand them anyhow. Even though I myself am not a particularly logical thinker or person.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Unfortunately they are only taken seriously by those who take logic seriously in the first place. They are basically rules of logic, but if no one is playing by the rules....

    In any case those not adhering to them usually don't understand them anyhow. Even though I myself am not a particularly logical thinker or person.
    They don't need logic, their conclusions are self-justifying personal beliefs.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #28
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    They don't need logic, their conclusions are self-justifying personal beliefs.
    But sometimes self-justified personal beliefs are factually wrong and damaging, although this depends on the context.

    However I see your point, they don't NEED logic. After all it is only an opinion that dictates that they should need it. As in: It is my opinion that they would benefit from an attempt to engage in logical thought processes.

    Which functionally is Fe through Ti. And that's why i'm not logical.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    But sometimes self-justified personal beliefs are factually wrong and damaging, although this depends on the context.

    However I see your point, they don't NEED logic. After all it is only an opinion that dictates that they should need it.
    It's my personal belief that logic is necessary.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #30
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's my personal belief that logic is necessary.
    Yep.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Similar Threads

  1. How does this song make you feel?
    By Abbey in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 07:41 PM
  2. How do street preachers make you feel?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 12:38 AM
  3. How does my avatar make you feel?
    By swordpath in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM
  4. How does this image make you feel? V.3
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO