• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENTP and Ne-epiphanies

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's likely to be the most obvious difference between an ENTP and an INTP, but I was wondering if fellow rational extroverts would experience the same trend.

I mean, just as I wrote in another thread, that I get my best ideas only when I'm interacting with somebody, preferably an audience. Alone, my brain functions in slow motion. I read countless books and essays -it's my work after all-, I put them into my active memory, I decipher the trends -that's easy so far-... but shaping genuine new ideas almost always requires an audience.
Thus, my sudden (and best) Ne-epiphanies are more likely to appear when I share a hot debate or conversation with a fellow friend/student/professor. Social interactions stimulate me.

Somehow, it's very similar to the process I've witnessed in the famous TV-show "House M.D.". House needs an audience (even if his listeners answer with stupid or unprobable ideas): he's not able to properly think without it, without this kind of interaction and active reflection. He has to talk, and his ideas follow his speech.

It's quite the same for me. I need to speak, to hear shaping my own ideas and to get them in a proper order or to hear them corrected. That's a test: if my interlocutors can understand them, that's OK, maybe I said something that made sense after all. Else...

-----

So: how is it, for you?

W

WALMART

This is my largest argument for George Carlin being ENTP apart from ISTP. In his autobiography he talked about this a bit, how during sets he would adapt jokes on the fly and take note of how they worked, shaping them from there. This was pretty much excluively how his acts developed, just blurting things on the fly and adapting it to his future routine.

I'm the same way, btw. Once I start on an idea I launch into large monologues of adaptive processing, kind of just working whatever flows to the frorefront into my rationale.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
When alone, I'm constantly taking in information, usually from numerous sources simultaneously. If it's possible to be addicted to learning, I am. It's fun, I enjoy it, I need it, I apply it to other things I encounter where I see fit.

But, when I'm engaged with someone, there's an energy. I'm having fun or I'm annoyed. Sometimes, both, but that stimulation puts my brain into another gear entirely. It's like talking to a book full of its own personal information, and I never know for sure which page I'm going to flip to by something I say.

If it's a good book, the exchange can escalate in enjoyment and stimulation as if feeding on itself exponentially. Even when it's not a good book, it still stimulates, in that I get ideas I normally wouldn't have alone by noticing in them what I perceive as a fault in thinking/logic/perception/whatever. Like, someone says something that makes no sense or isn't that grand, and my mind can't help but see it and attempt to correct and then build, build, build. In noticing mistakes, it brings to mind the correct answer.

That, and my brain seems to be wired in such a way that ideas shoot out of my mouth automatically and uncontrollably when it senses another human has shared one too. Which is why my television was abused when I had cable, and why I respond verbally to things I see on the net. Not always, but it happens, and in reaction to the exact same stimulus as stated above.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*not an entp but Ne-dom*

I find that when I am forced to verbalise or better yet, write down in cohesive language what Im thinking in an attempt to make myself as understandable as possible to the audience, I'll crystallise and organise the information in my brain in such a way that the clutter is removed and new associations and connections become visible, causing me to deepen my insight and knowledge of the subject at hand.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It gets really worse when you speak in company about yourself :)

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
Usually I get sudden epiphanies when thinking really hard about a subject or, like you said, when engaging someone about it. Or when I'm falling asleep and thinking of something. I would definitely say that my knowledge tends to move in "idea leaps" instead of in slow progressions. I am particularly proud of the incidents where I would debate quantum physics with my friends who had read more about it than I, and I would come to the same conclusions that were discussed in books about quantum physics without being told what they were. I tend to get concepts much faster than most people, but my rote memorization is meh.

I find that when I am forced to verbalise or better yet, write down in cohesive language what Im thinking in an attempt to make myself as understandable as possible to the audience, I'll crystallise and organise the information in my brain in such a way that the clutter is removed and new associations and connections become visible, causing me to deepen my insight and knowledge of the subject at hand.

This happens too. I like conversations where I talk about philosophy and such because I can actually organize the thoughts in my head and realize what's good and what's bad.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Usually I get sudden epiphanies when thinking really hard about a subject or, like you said, when engaging someone about it. Or when I'm falling asleep and thinking of something.

:yes:

I've had them during dreams and woke up instantly.

S

Society

i've gotten 5 of them while taking a dump.

yes, think explaining things to people make your ideas more visible to yourself and make you see implications you don't notice, and ofcourse if you have a great brainstomring partner/group all the better, but i am not sure if there's a pattern, i am not at all convinced that the stimulation Ne feeds on has to be people - it just needs to be something dynamic.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not an Ne-dom but this happens to me A LOT. I will be blabbing about something and everything will just fall into place. Sometimes things I have been chewing on for weeks and weeks. I'll finally get around to talking about it, go into this impassioned monologue and wham--it all makes sense. I'll even say, "I didn't even know X before I said it." It's like the pieces have to be talked into place. Or speeds up the process. I can achieve it by writing but it's a lot harder by far. I get a little frustrated by having to get things outside of my head sometimes to make sense of them.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i've gotten 5 of them while taking a dump.

yes, think explaining things to people make your ideas more visible to yourself and make you see implications you don't notice, and ofcourse if you have a great brainstomring partner/group all the better, but i am not sure if there's a pattern, i am not at all convinced that the stimulation Ne feeds on has to be people - it just needs to be something dynamic.

It doesn't have to be people at all. That's a mistake a lot of people make. It's the 'external' part that is important, and people are in no way always necessary for that. I could see why it would be in House's situation. Those people know the case and patient, so when they speak of it, the mistakes in their reasoning, if they're there, would come to the forefront of House's mind, correct it, and mix with the knowledge he already has which equals... tah dah!

S

Society

It doesn't have to be people at all. That's a mistake a lot of people make. It's the 'external' part that is important, and people are in no way always necessary for that. I could see why it would be in House's situation. Those people know the case and patient, so when they speak of it, the mistakes in their reasoning, if they're there, would come to the forefront of House's mind, correct it, and mix with the knowledge he already has which equals... tah dah!

whats interesting with house is that even though the character types aren't written very consistently (he's being every NT out there at some point or another), the team as a whole sort of characterizes the dynamic you have in an ENTP - house being the judgement function and the rest of everyone combined being the Ne seeking the possibilities. so if we look at team-house as one big fat ENTP, the Ne-stimuli isn't inside the team, it is the patient.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
whats interesting with house is that even though the character types aren't written very consistently (he's being every NT out there at some point or another), the team as a whole sort of characterizes the dynamic you have in an ENTP - house being the judgement function and the rest of everyone combined being the Ne seeking the possibilities. so if we look at team-house as one big fat ENTP, the Ne-stimuli isn't inside the team, it is the patient.

I only brought up House because the OP did. But, yeah, you're right. Though, I'd include the patient with the rest adding that the patient provides the problem to be solved and the clues. Ne stimulus is everywhere. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I wonder why everytime I read the phrase "Ne stimulus" I have to think of clitoris. :thinking: