User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Do any of you meditate ?

a few weeks ago, due to extreme lack of concentration i tried to meditate, and using different breathing techniques..well.. it still did n t help much,
    i was calm but far from focused, and today was different, i was so in tune with myself and could also hear the surroundings but without breaking that state,
    very interesting, but still not clarity and focus
    so i would like to know if any of you meditate and how exactly do you do it and how it is for you

thank you

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I do whimsical meditating without a professional setup in my head, a kind of zen-like state where I just completely detach myself from all external stimuli and think about stuff, introspect.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I do whimsical meditating without a professional setup in my head, a kind of zen-like state where I just completely detach myself from all external stimuli and think about stuff, introspect.
    and could you describe that zen state?

Riva

I do. I do it every morning for 10 minutes after I come home from the gym. Atlest that is what I tell myself that I do.

Anyway there are two main branches of meditation: samatha/samadhi and vipassana.

Samatha is what most people do and most mediation techniques are a branch of/variation of samatha (including yoga). Basically samatha is a concentration meditation where one way or the other the purpose is concentration. The benefits of samatha are as in many emperical practices such as studying or sports etc are improved with practice and concentration. However one of the main weakness in samatha is its requirement of isolation or non disturbance to practice.

Then there is vipassana which is also called samadhi which was discovered (technically speaking re-discovered in buddhist terms) by buddha. Contrary to samatha, vipassana would benefit when disturbed because the practioner would experience more emotions, internal conflicts etc when occupied, bothered, when interacting etc.

Without going into much detail; a main difference between samatha and vipassana is; samatha suppresses, vipassana observes (one's thoughts, emotions, feelings and sensations).

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It's focusing on something with all concentration and flowing with the emerging patterns, seeing where they lead and what kind of source they share.
    I think a good metaphor for this is 'liquid-light'. It is a luminous fluid that can take on any shape and that our minds can perceive with clarity.
    That may be a bit wordy, but basically, you just need to get 'in-rythm', and then we sail across a stream of consciousness.

It's kind of like how in Star Wars they say things like, "a Jedi's strength flows from the Force", or "your focus determines your reality".

WALMART

I can enter flow states fairly easily. I don't like dedicating my body to meditation, I prefer to enter a semi-rythmic physical activity where my mind can kind of wander - a videogame I'm skilled at, working a punching bag, biking.

The state I fall into is a bit of a physical experience. I lose vision, replaced with maybe a tunnel of blueish purple haze. I feel very disconnected, during these periods. My brother tells me he sometimes doesn't know why he talks to me if I'm at my computer, because even if I do turn as if I'm acknowledging him I'm still a thousand miles away, wrapped up in whatever I was doing. He'll have to repeat things three times before I can even slightly catch on to what he's saying.

My favorite concept thus far is no mind, but I prefer the term normal mind. I'm not convinced they are the same thing, though I hear they are.

I've attempted conventional dedicated meditation, but it's been pretty slow going. I understand there is purpose to this guided technique, I just don't think I'm disciplined enough yet to take advantage of it.

Good post, Riva.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I sit in the forest, in a surrounding that comforts me. When I have the jumping, monkey brain problem, I just count my breaths. I'm not particularly "good" at meditating, but it is helpful to me anyway.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i tried it few times, but my mind just starts to think on its own. i just try to not think about anything and suddenly i realize that i have been thinking for the last 10 seconds or so, then i try again and fail again, then i try again and fail again etc etc. then im just like meh, why bother..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    a main difference between samatha and vipassana is; samatha suppresses, vipassana observes (one's thoughts, emotions, feelings and sensations).
    thank you, i did n t know this difference, you ve made me even more curious now, is any of them more than the other or less in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    That may be a bit wordy, but basically, you just need to get 'in-rythm', and then we sail across a stream of consciousness.
    It's kind of like how in Star Wars they say things like, "a Jedi's strength flows from the Force", or "your focus determines your reality".
    i don t thimk it s wordy, that "in-rythm" is what i m looking for and i ve been completely off these past months, thus searching meditation

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I can enter flow states fairly easily. I don't like dedicating my body to meditation, I prefer to enter a semi-rythmic physical activity where my mind can kind of wander - a videogame I'm skilled at, working a punching bag, biking.
    Good post, Riva.
    isn t that just concentrating on a certain task ? i don t think i understand exactly what you mean

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i tried it few times, but my mind just starts to think on its own. i just try to not think about anything and suddenly i realize that i have been thinking for the last 10 seconds or so, then i try again and fail again, then i try again and fail again etc etc. then im just like meh, why bother..
    there s a technique for that, you re supposed to count in your head starting from 1 and when a random thought comes in you restart the counting,
    it s pretty efficient