User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

People who meditate suffer from perfectionism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

do you meditate? i m curious @zago

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    People who meditate suffer from perfectionism.
    You make a lot of sweeping and categorical statements.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I read a book called positive addiction by someone called Glassner recently which talked about making running or meditation forms of positive addiction for those who'd struggle with experiencing other sorts of deadly or harmful addictions. Thought that was interesting.

I've decided that I cant really meditate, I dont really have the patience at this stage in life and prefer reading, surfing the net, stuff like that.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    do you meditate? i m curious @zago
    Zazen meditator from 2007-2013. Stopped in January after an extra-strong kick.

Meditation truly is the logical endpoint of perfectionism. If you can't have a perfect job, house, social life, and body, why not go for the perfectly calm mind so that stuff won't bother you? Bad news - it's never gonna happen, not with any sense of permanence.

The idea of it now just makes me feel sorry for people and resentful of all the time I spent on it. They are beyond listening and having it explained to them, they have too much hope to hear anything but whatever supports their goal. At best, you'll get hardly noticeable relaxation effects. It is kind of relaxing.. kind of. It's also really fucking boring. Any number of activities would have similar, if not more profound and extensive benefits. Playing a musical instrument, keeping a reflective journal, spending the time exercising, making a conscious effort to do anything really. The only difference is that those things don't sound as cool and mysterious as meditation and don't come with the possible benefit of enlightenment.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You make a lot of sweeping and categorical statements.
    This particular one I am very well qualified to make if anyone is, as you'll note from my previous post. I've studied and practiced meditation intensively. As for any others I make, well, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I read a book called positive addiction by someone called Glassner recently which talked about making running or meditation forms of positive addiction for those who'd struggle with experiencing other sorts of deadly or harmful addictions. Thought that was interesting.

I've decided that I cant really meditate, I dont really have the patience at this stage in life and prefer reading, surfing the net, stuff like that.
    Meditation is a subset of trance. And we enter and leave trances all during the day.

A trance occurs when our critical mind starts to go to sleep and our creative mind starts to wake up.

So we have the driving trance, the television trance, the internet trance, the sexual trance, the exercise trance, the trance of ritual, the trance of art, the trance of religion, and just before we go to sleep, we enter the hypnogogic trance, and just as we wake up, we also enter the hypnogogic trance.

Most of us though are unaware of the physical and mental changes that occur as we enter and leave a particular trance. However it is easy to learn to enter and leave a trance, and so we become sensitised to all the other trances we enter and leave during the day.

A trance can be induced by any repetition. And the kind of trance we induce depends on what parts of our critical mind we put to sleep and what parts of our creative mind we wake up.

And so we can design a trance for a particular purpose.

MBTI
    INTP

We should tell the president about this.

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    We should tell the president about this.
    I believe he entrances us with his rhetoric.

His speeches, with their cadence, their repetition, and authority, are designed to enchant us for a political purpose.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@zago don`t you think you are somewhat projecting some of your personal feelings into the concept? it would sure seem so to me, i personally think that i need meditation in order to obtain insight, a better knowledge of myself that i lack at the moment, from what i`ve read about it, is very true(and proven by monks) that you can train your mind by use of meditation. What did meditation mean to you, i m curious again, since you seem to have such strong feelings against it