User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Np. Have you tried binaural beats? The overall effect isn't entirely the same, but for many, they promote focus. I personally believe they function as a mantra.
    I actually have for some time now but they don t help with mantaining a calm and conscious state,
    I found recently that the tibetan singing bowl produces a sound that works better for me, it sounds more organic to me

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    I actually have for some time now but they don t help with mantaining a calm and conscious state,
    I found recently that the tibetan singing bowl produces a sound that works better for me, it sounds more organic to me

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Don t mock me ) everything is really new

Ginkgo

Don t mock me ) everything is really new
    I'm not Lol. The chirping of crickets, rain, and the hum of an air conditioner produce similar effects for me. As for rain, once I forget about questioning what caused the thunder, I know it's having its effect.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think the ideea would be to focus on the order of the numbers as a singular thing into your head and see if that is interrupted by other random ones
    the idea of meditation is to empty your head completely, or in mindfulness meditation from anything else than sense perceptions(but still not form any sort of rationalization or judgments on the sense perceptions)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I do. I do it every morning for 10 minutes after I come home from the gym. Atlest that is what I tell myself that I do.

Anyway there are two main branches of meditation: samatha/samadhi and vipassana.

Samatha is what most people do and most mediation techniques are a branch of/variation of samatha (including yoga). Basically samatha is a concentration meditation where one way or the other the purpose is concentration. The benefits of samatha are as in many emperical practices such as studying or sports etc are improved with practice and concentration. However one of the main weakness in samatha is its requirement of isolation or non disturbance to practice.

Then there is vipassana which is also called samadhi which was discovered (technically speaking re-discovered in buddhist terms) by buddha. Contrary to samatha, vipassana would benefit when disturbed because the practioner would experience more emotions, internal conflicts etc when occupied, bothered, when interacting etc.

Without going into much detail; a main difference between samatha and vipassana is; samatha suppresses, vipassana observes (one's thoughts, emotions, feelings and sensations).
    I love meditating. I also observed that there were two different types, at least, which produced two very different states, but I didn't realize that this was samatha vs. vipassana. Both are really helpful. I think I have a preference for vipassana more because I feel more embodied and "aware".
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Meditation is a subset of trance. And a trance can be induced by any repetition.

My favourite form of repetition is walking, but not walking to a destination but walking back and forth in one spot.

To learn about trance, "From Magic to Technology", by Dennis Weir is a good place to start.

The Way of Trance

The problem with meditation is its provenance. In other words, meditation comes from religion.

And the religious purpose of meditation was to make followers suggestible to delusion.

So the problem is how to learn to meditate without relying on religion to teach you. And this is a real problem for it seems only religions are teaching meditation.

But still, we can start to learn a natural form of meditation with, "The Way of Trance", by Dennis Weir.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Meditation is a subset of trance. And a trance can be induced by any repetition.

My favourite form of repetition is walking, but not walking to a destination but walking back and forth in one spot.

To learn about trance, "From Magic to Technology", by Dennis Weir is a good place to start.
    I strted reading it yesterday morning but did not have enough time, i like the pov though, the way he describes trances, i thought about something similar to that

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem with meditation is its provenance. In other words, meditation comes from religion.

And the religious purpose of meditation was to make followers suggestible to delusion.

So the problem is how to learn to meditate without relying on religion to teach you. And this is a real problem for it seems only religions are teaching meditation.

But still, we can start to learn a natural form of meditation with, "The Way of Trance", by Dennis Weir.
    Meditation without changing volition you mean?
    i like that "natural meditation" concept
    I ll try and finish both of the books asap
    Ty btw

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

i`ve been kind of busy lately with exams and did not have time to finish the book, i also stopped meditating - but i m on it now and will come back when i finish it (i find it very easy to grasp tbh, thank you again @Mole