User Tag List

First 1234 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    isn t that just concentrating on a certain task ? i don t think i understand exactly what you mean

I think it's closer to anti-concentration. The action flows out naturally, thoughtless. I am no where near the action of my body. I think a popular term on the site is sensotardation.

I also habitually pace. People make fun of me because I have trouble sitting still, my mind just can't flow if I'm not moving.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

there s a technique for that, you re supposed to count in your head starting from 1 and when a random thought comes in you restart the counting,
    it s pretty efficient
    when you are counting, your mind isnt clear, so you cant get to a meditative state when you are counting -> autofail. or maybe its different for people who doesent think in words, but for me counting in my head is same as saying the numbers outloud..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Infinite Bubble

I'm not sure if it is classed as meditation, but I have irregular sessions where I will put on some ambient music and simply stare at the wall and focus on my breathing. I will then become in a trance state where I'm detached from everything and reality feels like a dream. The only reason I usually do it is when I want to figure something out or get new ideas. I allow thoughts to drift in and out of consciousness. After staring for some time, my vision becomes two-dimensional, like reality is just a flimsy photographic sheet. I will also see swirling clouds of green and purple pass over my vision, and begin to have minor pseudohallucinations. Then I can just snap out of it in a split second if I want. I believe this is a self-induced hypnagogic state actually.

I don't know if it counts but usually my walk home from work (> 4 miles) does calm and relax me and is pleasant to the point where I don't care how long it takes. I don't know whether it counts as Kinshin as its completely different from the walking meditation process.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I also habitually pace. People make fun of me because I have trouble sitting still, my mind just can't flow if I'm not moving.
    And how do you behave when you are focused on a task that requires prolonged concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    or maybe its different for people who doesent think in words, but for me counting in my head is same as saying the numbers outloud..
    I think the ideea would be to focus on the order of the numbers as a singular thing into your head and see if that is interrupted by other random ones

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I'm not sure if it is classed as meditation, but I have irregular sessions where I will put on some ambient music and simply stare at the wall and focus on my breathing. I will then become in a trance state where I'm detached from everything and reality feels like a dream. The only reason I usually do it is when I want to figure something out or get new ideas. I allow thoughts to drift in and out of consciousness. After staring for some time, my vision becomes two-dimensional, like reality is just a flimsy photographic sheet. I will also see swirling clouds of green and purple pass over my vision, and begin to have minor pseudohallucinations. Then I can just snap out of it in a split second if I want. I believe this is a self-induced hypnagogic state actually.
    It sounds like losing control of yourself, is it?

WALMART

And how do you behave when you are focused on a task that requires prolonged concentration?

I have next to no prolonged concentration for repititious mental tasks, like filing. Too much thought, too little action. However, I enjoy digging holes. Little thought, plenty action. My mind is free to wander.

I prefer a comfortable medium. I really enjoy working in a shop, fixing cars or woodwork or something. It's skillful enough to build knowledge but repititious enough to allow states of flow.

Thanks for the questioning btw, it's fun to explore myself

Ginkgo

I keep running into people who almost seem too obsessive compulsive to be willing to meditate. Yet, I doubt many who regularly meditate truly explore its potential on their first try.

I suspect that, for one who's experienced obsessive thoughts for most of their lives have little idea how to evaluate the notion of "focusing" because they have yet to experience the aftermath of a true trance. The attitude that precipitates from meditation feels more like freedom than concentration, yet it induces the clarity necessary to hold a single train of thought willingly. I think this sense of centered-ness ties into the vipassana technique @Riva was referring too.

I can't help but think that there's some overlap between vipassana and samatha, at least in terms of the step-by-step process of inducing a trance that primarily resembles vipassana. For instance, @fia goes into the forest and recites a simple mantra by counting her breaths, which fosters a sense of awareness and focus. Yet, she also seeks out isolation to avoid distractions.

Do you think there's a distinction to be made, here, Riva? Where does one technique begin and another end?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Thanks for the questioning btw, it's fun to explore myself
    Anytime, i sometimes do this too, meaning that i play some memory game while listening to a podcast of a lecture, did i understand you correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I keep running into people who almost seem too obsessive compulsive to be willing to meditate. Yet, I doubt many who regularly meditate truly explore its potential on their first try.

I suspect that, for one who's experienced obsessive thoughts for most of their lives have little idea how to evaluate the notion of "focusing" because they have yet to experience the aftermath of a true trance. The attitude that precipitates from meditation feels more like freedom than concentration, yet it induces the clarity necessary to hold a single train of thought willingly. I think this sense of centered-ness ties into the vipassana technique @Riva was referring too.

I can't help but think that there's some overlap between vipassana and samatha, at least in terms of the step-by-step process of inducing a trance that primarily resembles vipassana. For instance, @fia goes into the forest and recites a simple mantra by counting her breaths, which fosters a sense of awareness and focus. Yet, she also seeks out isolation to avoid distractions.

Do you think there's a distinction to be made, here, Riva? Where does one technique begin and another end?
    Thank you for the reply, i have yet to understand what a true trance means. In regard to the types of techniques i am currently trying to understand them before having an oppinion,

Ginkgo

Thank you for the reply, i have yet to understand what a true trance means. In regard to the types of techniques i am currently trying to understand them before having an oppinion,
    Np. Have you tried binaural beats? The overall effect isn't entirely the same, but for many, they promote focus. I personally believe they function as a mantra.