User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: NT Anthems

MBTI
    epyT

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    They fit the N, but not the T.

Personally, I would like a less whiny, lethargic, and samey-sounding band to represent my temperament.
    2nded

King Crimson is a better choice in my opinion, even if their (Robert Fripp's) older stuff is a bit whimsical at times.

MBTI
    INTJ

I can't really think of many ENTJ anthems.

fugazi's bed for scraping is pretty NT.

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    They fit the N, but not the T.

Personally, I would like a less whiny, lethargic, and samey-sounding band to represent my temperament.
    +1
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

While perhaps not musically amazing, the second down album has some pretty heavy NT themes.

MBTI
    ENTP

Radiohead became "samey-sounding" only after Radiohead became popular. The other thing is, many of their songs are far from lethargic... in fact, they're quite the opposite (much of Paranoid Android or Idioteque, for that matter). Also, as for the whiny bit... yes, that's true... much of Tommy York has a whiny feel to it. But I don't hold that against him. That's part of the aesthetic... you suck, I suck, we all suck (well, that's not it alone, but while we're generalizing).

I TOTALLY disagree with you when you say it doesn't hit on T... Radiohead is some of the most intelligent, cerebral rock out there.

Regardless... there are many NTs out there with vastly differing tastes... all that needs to be said for Radiohead is that there are a lot of NTs on this board, myself included, who love the band's music and feel it speaks for them. There are obviously other bands which will work better for other people. In the end, there'll never be a single band, book, or movie which encapsulates the NT...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Radiohead became "samey-sounding" only after Radiohead became popular. The other thing is, many of their songs are far from lethargic... in fact, they're quite the opposite (much of Paranoid Android or Idioteque, for that matter). Also, as for the whiny bit... yes, that's true... much of Tommy York has a whiny feel to it. But I don't hold that against him. That's part of the aesthetic... you suck, I suck, we all suck (well, that's not it alone, but while we're generalizing).

I TOTALLY disagree with you when you say it doesn't hit on T... Radiohead is some of the most intelligent, cerebral rock out there.

Regardless... there are many NTs out there with vastly differing tastes... all that needs to be said for Radiohead is that there are a lot of NTs on this board, myself included, who love the band's music and feel it speaks for them. There are obviously other bands which will work better for other people. In the end, there'll never be a single band, book, or movie which encapsulates the NT...
    I agree with you on how booya's analysis of Radiohead as "lethargic, and samey-sounding" is wrong but they are NF.

Good music with lyrics is usually F-based. Music is often how NTs tap into their Sensor and Feeler sides.

I agree with MacGuffin. For whatever the creative merits of their music are, I don't see Radiohead as very NT. They're too whiny and ambiguous.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I agree with MacGuffin. For whatever the creative merits of their music are, I don't see Radiohead as very NT. They're too whiny and ambiguous.
    Being an ENTP, I find that they express a lot of things with which I agree... maybe their ambiguity appeals to my P-function, I don't know... but I would think iNtuitive Thinkers would be at least able to appreciate the open-endedness... in addition, however, Radiohead has a lot of very concrete and definable terms.

So what is NT, as opposed to NF, music? Can't good music with lyrics have an NT basis? I believe I composed good music and had a good sense of it, but is that me using my secondary/tertiary Feeling functions? Then by definition, is T uninvolved in making good music?

I felt Bach was very emotionally powerful but could only have come up with his counterpoint using very strong T.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Being an ENTP, I find that they express a lot of things with which I agree... maybe their ambiguity appeals to my P-function, I don't know... but I would think iNtuitive Thinkers would be at least able to appreciate the open-endedness... in addition, however, Radiohead has a lot of very concrete and definable terms.

So what is NT, as opposed to NF, music? Can't good music with lyrics have an NT basis? I believe I composed good music and had a good sense of it, but is that me using my secondary/tertiary Feeling functions? Then by definition, is T uninvolved in making good music?

I felt Bach was very emotionally powerful but could only have come up with his counterpoint using very strong T.
    I don't know. Music never really makes me get all logical. Music invokes feelings and moods for me. Some lyrical stuff can get me musing, but again usually not in a logical manner.

Perhaps that's the point of "NT Anthems". They let out our more hidden sides rather than reinforce our NTness.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by jungie View Post
    INTP anthem - Radiohead - Packt like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box

My INTP ex husband used to listen to it aaaaallll the time - he didn't like any other Radiohead.

. . . "I'm a reasonable man. Get off my case... Get off my case...:
    Seconded. Well, except the "man" bit.