User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    The hardest part for me is just getting started. Once I take the first step, it's easy to get into the rhythm of doing..
    Exactly this.

    I often find myself over or underestimating the task as means of justifying procrastination -- "It'll only take a few minutes, so it's not that big of a deal" or "It's going to take days to do this and I don't feel like dealing with it yet"

    Most times, once I get started I notice I move through things quite easily. As dumb as it sounds, I find I work my best when my back is completely against the wall.

  2. #12
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    How do you help yourself get stuff done? (Do you get stuff done? )
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  3. #13
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Self-flagellation. Works every time.

  4. #14
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I empty my mind and start moving my limbs. Seems the best way for me. Possibly the only way that works without fail.

    If I can do the things that need to be done in my own effecient and fast way, I've no problems carrying them through once I've started them.

    However, If I need to do something I don't really want to do and I also need to do it in a way that I don't really want to do it (my ENFJ father tends to be the source of these tasks), it can really frustrate me to no end. Thus I tend to avoid them as much as possible or at least find a way to do it in a way I want to do it. This sometimes does lead to some passive aggresiveness, but it always works out in the end because as luck would have it. My ways do seem to work out well, even if they clash with my fathers 'traditional' way of doing things.

    Ultimately, I do get stuff done if it really needs to get done. There's no real issue there.

    Stuff that don't need to get done however... Yeah.. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  5. #15
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    I could make a timeline of my approaches to difficult/academic work.

    Primary school
    Vague attention. Read lots. Unable to learn times tables despite concerted effort by my father. No strategy for completing work.

    High School/6th form
    Window gazing. Occasional burst of interest (and thus, effort) in single project or subject. Constantly forget homework and sometimes forget to go to classes. Enforced revision sessions by my father give rise to my first learning strategy. Current, and only, strategy is to listen to music while reading in an effort to maintain stimulation. Have no strategy to prevent frequent mind wandering and listlessness. Bad grades.

    Intermittent/work period
    Enter independent period. Motivate application to jobs and the follow through by listening to music and mentally assuring myself. Would psyche myself into a fervor for especially difficult or intimidating tasks. Eventual employment increases self confidence and, with it, ability to get stuff done. Unable to create effective academic work strategy and flunk attempted at-home study course.

    College
    Get into access to higher education course at college. Early motivation for completion of essays and classwork is given by desire to "do myself justice" and be someone of achievement in the eyes of others. Paradigm shift in my relation to others causes later motivation to be based on a desire to put myself in a position from which I can improve the world, people's lives or create "the good". Motivation is consistently high both qualitatively and quantitatively. Strategies are entirely based around maintaining my beliefs in personal worth, and "the good". Work is of very high quality.

    University
    Enter red-brick university. Initial success but eventual degradation of belief system, and, with it, self-worth make no work strategy effective. Grades drop to average over the year one later and year two earlier periods. Motivated by external pressures not to be seen as a failure. Identify new personal issue.

    Intercalation (break) from University
    Take a year long break to deal with new personal issue.

    Return to University (current)
    Issue, to some extent, made benign. Happier and have high self-esteem but with no personal mission. Motivated by a desire to improve myself. Motivation quantitatively fairly high but qualitatively fairly low.

    I guess I blab about my motivation and life circumstances in a thread about strategies we use to get things done because, as far as I'm concerned, my ability to achieve things is entirely dependent on my motivational fuel. My mind and emotions are too stubborn for tricks.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  6. #16
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    "Do this or you're screwed."

    Alternatively:

    "Do this or you'll fail yourself."

    It's kind of all or nothing, with me.
    sounds hopeless
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #17
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    I could make a timeline of my approaches to difficult/academic work.

    Primary school
    Vague attention. Read lots. Unable to learn times tables despite concerted effort by my father. No strategy for completing work.

    High School/6th form
    Window gazing. Occasional burst of interest (and thus, effort) in single project or subject. Constantly forget homework and sometimes forget to go to classes. Enforced revision sessions by my father give rise to my first learning strategy. Current, and only, strategy is to listen to music while reading in an effort to maintain stimulation. Have no strategy to prevent frequent mind wandering and listlessness. Bad grades.

    Intermittent/work period
    Enter independent period. Motivate application to jobs and the follow through by listening to music and mentally assuring myself. Would psyche myself into a fervor for especially difficult or intimidating tasks. Eventual employment increases self confidence and, with it, ability to get stuff done. Unable to create effective academic work strategy and flunk attempted at-home study course.

    College
    Get into access to higher education course at college. Early motivation for completion of essays and classwork is given by desire to "do myself justice" and be someone of achievement in the eyes of others. Paradigm shift in my relation to others causes later motivation to be based on a desire to put myself in a position from which I can improve the world, people's lives or create "the good". Motivation is consistently high both qualitatively and quantitatively. Strategies are entirely based around maintaining my beliefs in personal worth, and "the good". Work is of very high quality.

    University
    Enter red-brick university. Initial success but eventual degradation of belief system, and, with it, self-worth make no work strategy effective. Grades drop to average over the year one later and year two earlier periods. Motivated by external pressures not to be seen as a failure. Identify new personal issue.

    Intercalation (break) from University
    Take a year long break to deal with new personal issue.

    Return to University (current)
    Issue, to some extent, made benign. Happier and have high self-esteem but with no personal mission. Motivated by a desire to improve myself. Motivation quantitatively fairly high but qualitatively fairly low.

    I guess I blab about my motivation and life circumstances in a thread about strategies we use to get things done because, as far as I'm concerned, my ability to achieve things is entirely dependent on my motivational fuel. My mind and emotions are too stubborn for tricks.
    That sounds pretty infp to me, especially "entering red-brick university". So much humor I couldnt entrust to an intp
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #18
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That sounds pretty infp to me, especially "entering red-brick university". So much humor I couldnt entrust to an intp
    Em...I meant no joke with the red-brick university comment.

    My F/T balance is tentative, I'm only just T, but I think that makes all the difference. If you've read some of my other posts it might be easier to imagine Ti as my primary function. Believe me, I've gone down the thinking I'm an INFP road. I'm not, however, I'm just an INTP with some emotional awareness and emotional issues.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  9. #19
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    Em...I meant no joke with the red-brick university comment.

    My F/T balance is tentative, I'm only just T, but I think that makes all the difference. If you've read some of my other posts it might be easier to imagine Ti as my primary function. Believe me, I've gone down the thinking I'm an INFP road. I'm not, however, I'm just an INTP with some emotional awareness and emotional issues.
    Ah. when you get older an more relaxed we all go down the F way. I am so close to being an enfp, only a few more years and I'll have reached the state of inner Zen.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #20
    Senior Member Oeufa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    698

    Default

    I have no tricks. Beating myself up doesn't work. Threatening myself with homelessness doesn't work. Trying to prove myself to others/myself doesn't work either.

    I seem to do, or not do, and my motivations and desires don't appear to have any affect on my actual output (or lack thereof) whatsoever.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

    And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

Similar Threads

  1. What type do you try to look like when you are obviously not?
    By Elfboy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 04:26 AM
  2. What Tips Do You Have to Get to Sleep At Night?
    By Taizic in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
  3. What magazines do you subscribe to and why?
    By fidelia in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
  4. What song do you relate to your Enneagram type?
    By InTheFlesh in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
  5. What type do you aspire to be?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO