User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I don't like lumping people into categories of disorders and mental illness either. That's why I never sought a diagnosis. But I think the important thing is to look at the underlying thing which is being analyzed and diagnosed, see what it has in common with other things, look at the possible origins, etc. I think some people on this thread could be diagnosed with it but don't want to be, so they dismiss the whole thing. Which is reasonable but not rational. Yeah, maybe our notions of "mental disorders" are just illusory, and exist on a continuum; but this doesn't make the traits people are describing not real, or the associated difficulties. The difficulties are the problem, and need to be addressed. Maybe more people who have these traits but have learned to function well enough in society need to come together and share what they've learned with those who are still learning, and in that way we'll "cure" the "disease".

Mental disorders come from mental systems, which function in certain ways. Mental types come from mental systems which function in certain ways. Often these overlap. It's a fact. It would be highly improbable if everything people happened to describe in types of personality was completely left out of descriptions of difficulties in living life, as the two are related. Disorders are just ways to classify having difficulties in living life.

And all the things in the article aren't "symptoms", they're characteristics of a type overall. There are ways people with depression behave which aren't necessarily symptoms, or ADHD. They're just products of the condition, and ways to holistically identify people. Just as maybe INFP's tend to be spiritual, but being spiritual doesn't make you an INFP.
    The difference is that types are considered variations of "normal", not requiring treatment or intervention beyond the usual understanding of strengths and weaknesses. Mental disorders are considered "abnormal", outside the acceptable range of human functioning, and requiring of treatment to "correct" them back toward a "normal" state as much as possible. I have no objection to people pointing out my problems and issues, or even giving them a convenient shorthand label. But as a functioning, contributing, responsible adult, I cannot consider them to be outside normal limits in any clinical sense, and I expect this applies to many others who manage to get themself diagnosed by some health professional or other. I am not saying there is no such thing as actual mental illness; merely that we have started to describe too many deviations from the average in terms of "disorders". This slights both those who really don't have true disorders, as well as those who do.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My niece has Asperger's...according to this article about animals, nature, legos and reading and having "encyclopedia" facts stored, *I* could have Asperger's according the author's definition, so this seems vague...I mean I get that girls with Asperger's could have these traits, but so could introverts who are Highly Sensitive (HSP).

However, I've read an academic article about a study that shows people with bipolar spectrum disorder are often related to people on the autism spectrum, and there may be a link between the two, that it seems there's some kind of genetic link between the two spectrum disorders.

My niece is obsessed with horse-back riding currently. I'm really pleased with how "normal" she is now, because when she was a baby she would scream non-stop and bang her head and that kind of thing, we thought maybe she had full-blown autism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The difference is that types are considered variations of "normal", not requiring treatment or intervention beyond the usual understanding of strengths and weaknesses. Mental disorders are considered "abnormal", outside the acceptable range of human functioning, and requiring of treatment to "correct" them back toward a "normal" state as much as possible. I have no objection to people pointing out my problems and issues, or even giving them a convenient shorthand label. But as a functioning, contributing, responsible adult, I cannot consider them to be outside normal limits in any clinical sense, and I expect this applies to many others who manage to get themself diagnosed by some health professional or other. I am not saying there is no such thing as actual mental illness; merely that we have started to describe too many deviations from the average in terms of "disorders". This slights both those who really don't have true disorders, as well as those who do.
    I agree with this. But the problem with today's society, being so overly-socialized (people are constantly in one another's faces where as they used to live in smaller towns or in less populated areas, even cities had less people than they do now) and being so high pressure and focused on achievement (this has really gone into over-drive with increasing corporatism and dependence on luxuries as if they were necessities in the post-modern world, and I think the glaring symbol of it in our society is calling the phone or cable company and speaking to an hourly wage employee who can't even help you and it's not even his or her fault because the company never trained them or the corporation is so huge something gets lost in the shuffle, and no one is a person anymore but a number, and even worse you may just speak to a recording and keep getting transferred to five different people who have no idea what you're talking about) ...it's really hard to get any help or respite WITHOUT being diagnosed with a "disorder."

You can't just say "I don't fit into this inhuman brave new world" there has to be some kind of diagnosis, even though a person with even the barest emotional or social intelligence can see that even "normal" people weren't meant to live under this much stress and over-stimulation, and we wonder why people have anxiety disorders and children have ADHD when they've been raised in rooms with televisions and radios blaring constantly, sometimes simultaneously, warring in their noise pollution.

I think the answer is really trusting both Eastern and Western methodologies, because a lot of "conditions" aren't illnesses or disorders, they're imbalances of lifestyle that could be changed by the person having more peace, more silence, getting massages or having a chiropractor, getting regular exercise, doing meditation and/or yoga, and eating healthier food, etc.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    I'd sooner believe the Asperger's than the intp diagnosis for you.
    You don't think half of the folks on TypoC who type as INTP are for real!

I like me some girls with down syndrome, if ya know what I mean.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I've read a bunch of stuff on women with aspergers. The only thing that ever confuses me is that they will claim that they are especially emotionally sensitive (to how they are being treated) but at the same time claim that they are not emotionally sensitive to others. How can you be both?
    You've never met a person who gets offended really easily or seems sensitive or even gets their feelings hurt or get angry easily....but in the end seem like the most selfish person on the planet? Like they're only upset about themselves?

I'm not sure aspies are like this, because this is actually a trait that narcissists can have, they can get really easily hurt or offended by criticism but will treat other people really callously, coldly, even cruelly in extreme cases.

I know a guy with Aspeger's who is like a humanitarian, he's traveled to developing countries and done stuff with habitat for humanity, he is also really talkative, and apparently likes to talk to people, but it's more like he's talking at you, but he means well. You can see that he's socially kind of clueless, but that his heart is in the right place.

My niece always seemed like a grouchy, moody toddler, and would push people away, even head butt them, so she exhibited signs of extreme emotional sensitivity, but not sensitivity to others.

Of course she's had therapy and she's school-age now, but that's an example of someone being very emotional while not being very sensitive to others.

EDIT: the more that I think about it, I think the difference with Aspie's is actually obliviousness; even my friend who has Asperger's who is all down with causes and meeting new people, it's almost like he's too naive, like he'd just walk up to any seemingly receptive person and just start talking, and not realize if he was boring or annoying them, but not doing it with any malice or cruelty, almost like a hyper small child in that regard, probably could get him in trouble with bad people. I think even with more introverted and less feeling aspies, it's still obliviousness instead of cruelty, almost just like they just want to be left alone, and only want to talk to others to discuss hobbies or interests, not "socialize."

The narcissist is actually quite manipulative, so isn't so much oblivious, but actually does not care about anyone on a fundamental level other than himself, even when he imagines he loves, he loves an idealized projection, an extension of himself.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

So then it's just a matter of how functional people are, right? And that changes. And any trait can result in behavior which makes a person nonfunctional.

@Marmotini, do you think that Aspie people can learn enough about social behavior and develop their empathy to the point where they are as functional as a "normal" person? Have you experienced anyone like this?

I'm pretty sure my uncle has this. He's a really well meaning guy, very humanitarian, but socially kind of clueless, even when people inform him of things. He's also INTP unless I am very much mistaken. Not that anecdotal evidence proves a correlation, just an example of both.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So then it's just a matter of how functional people are, right? And that changes. And any trait can result in behavior which makes a person nonfunctional.

@Marmotini, do you think that Aspie people can learn enough about social behavior and develop their empathy to the point where they are as functional as a "normal" person? Have you experienced anyone like this?

I'm pretty sure my uncle has this. He's a really well meaning guy, very humanitarian, but socially kind of clueless, even when people inform him of things. He's also INTP unless I am very much mistaken. Not that anecdotal evidence proves a correlation, just an example of both.
    Forget about "normal". It is more useful to speak in terms of what is functional, remembering that functionality can be as impaired by artificial and unnecessary social constructs as by actual internal limitations in how one perceives or processes information, for instance. So yes, any trait, in the wrong measure, context, or combination, can impair functioning to an unacceptable extent. This goes along with the idea that "disorders" might correlate at least loosely with types, since a given type will tend to demonstrate certain tendencies (e.g. INTJ and paranoia) which can be healthy to a degree, but harmful in certain individuals.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Forget about "normal". It is more useful to speak in terms of what is functional, remembering that functionality can be as impaired by artificial and unnecessary social constructs as by actual internal limitations in how one perceives or processes information, for instance. So yes, any trait, in the wrong measure, context, or combination, can impair functioning unacceptably. This goes along with the idea that "disorders" might correlate at least loosely with types, since a given type will tend to demonstrate certain tendencies (e.g. INTJ and paranoia) which can be healthy to a degree, but harmful in certain individuals.
    Ok, I agree with that. And normal is just a convenient term, which means occupying some sort of statistical position.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    You don't think half of the folks on TypoC who type as INTP are for real!
    And does it matter? As there's no objective way to "prove" it, it really just wastes time to be constantly worrying about whether or not people are typed correctly. If someone is ENFP and someone thinks they are ENTP for example, it really just means they have a well developed feeling side. As long as people resonate with a type description and use it to accurately represent themselves, and use the advice for personal development, they essentially are that type even if by some complicated analysis maybe another type is more consistent over the course of their life. And who even has the time for that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    My niece has Asperger's...according to this article about animals, nature, legos and reading and having "encyclopedia" facts stored, *I* could have Asperger's according the author's definition, so this seems vague...I mean I get that girls with Asperger's could have these traits, but so could introverts who are Highly Sensitive (HSP).
    Once again, the description of these sorts of things isn't meant to be a list of "symptoms," just how Asperger people may exhibit their traits; which doesn't rule out people who are not Asperger also having those characteristics. Like INFP's tend to be spiritual, but being spiritual doesn't make you INFP.

Even if it could be generalized to all people, "All A's are B's" does not entail "All B's are A's".
    (I'm not picking on you Marm, just pointing it out for thread purposes, because a couple of other people have said similar things.)