User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

This is getting more and more interesting. So some people want the diagnosis and some people don't?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is getting more and more interesting. So some people want the diagnosis and some people don't?
    Some people resent it as putting a label of "abnormalcy" on some aspect of human diversity, as if we considered left-handedness a "syndrome" because it occurs in a small minority of the population.

Some people claim to like a diagnosis because it reassures them that the things that make them different and sometimes cause problems are real - they are not imagining it. In this sense, they find it legitimizing, though no one should feel such need of external validation just to feel "legitimate" in their own skin.

Also, an official diagnosis often makes it possible to get services that otherwise would not be provided, or would be available only at prohibitive cost. This sometimes happens in schools, where a diagnosis of ADHD, or autism, or dyslexia, etc. will get a student targeted help, tutoring, or other accommodations. If a school is good about accommodating different learning styles and personalities to begin with, this shouldn't be necessary. As budgets get tighter and class sizes larger, and teachers given more administrative duties, there is less room for differentiation within the classroom, and a medical diagnosis can be the only way to get an exception, unfortunately.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Society

what if all the mbti types are mental illnesses (insert philosoratopr meme here)?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    what if all the mbti types are mental illnesses (insert philosoratopr meme here)?
    they could be depending on how you look at things.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I've read a bunch of stuff on women with aspergers. The only thing that ever confuses me is that they will claim that they are especially emotionally sensitive (to how they are being treated) but at the same time claim that they are not emotionally sensitive to others. How can you be both?
    Sounds kind of like inferior Fe, no?
    Yeah that's what I think it is, but I've read that women with aspergers get pretty upset when you suggest this.
    I don't think this is rational. If the disorder exists, there's no reason it would be exclusive to men, and there's no reason women would exhibit it exactly the same as men, given their different experiences in society. I really don't know what you mean. Are you both suggesting the phenomenon doesn't exist?

People type people on the stupidest little things, but suggest there's a correlation between mental types and mental illnesses (never mind that Enneagram does and no one says otherwise) and suddenly you can't classify people.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't like lumping people into categories of disorders and mental illness either. That's why I never sought a diagnosis. But I think the important thing is to look at the underlying thing which is being analyzed and diagnosed, see what it has in common with other things, look at the possible origins, etc. I think some people on this thread could be diagnosed with it but don't want to be, so they dismiss the whole thing. Which is reasonable but not rational. Yeah, maybe our notions of "mental disorders" are just illusory, and exist on a continuum; but this doesn't make the traits people are describing not real, or the associated difficulties. The difficulties are the problem, and need to be addressed. Maybe more people who have these traits but have learned to function well enough in society need to come together and share what they've learned with those who are still learning, and in that way we'll "cure" the "disease".

Mental disorders come from mental systems, which function in certain ways. Mental types come from mental systems which function in certain ways. Often these overlap. It's a fact. It would be highly improbable if everything people happened to describe in types of personality was completely left out of descriptions of difficulties in living life, as the two are related. Disorders are just ways to classify having difficulties in living life.

And all the things in the article aren't "symptoms", they're characteristics of a type overall. There are ways people with depression behave which aren't necessarily symptoms, or ADHD. They're just products of the condition, and ways to holistically identify people. Just as maybe INFP's tend to be spiritual, but being spiritual doesn't make you an INFP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I've read a bunch of stuff on women with aspergers. *The only thing that ever confuses me is that they will claim that they are especially emotionally sensitive (to how they are being treated) but at the same time claim that they are not emotionally sensitive to others. *How can you be both?
    Sounds kind of like inferior Fe, no?
    Yeah that's what I think it is, but I've read that women with aspergers get pretty upset when you suggest this.
    I don't think this is rational. If the disorder exists, there's no reason it would be exclusive to men, and there's no reason women would exhibit it exactly the same as men, given their different experiences in society. I really don't know what you mean. Are you both suggesting the phenomenon doesn't exist?
    People type people on the stupidest little things, but suggest there's a correlation between mental types and mental illnesses (never mind that Enneagram does and no one says otherwise) and suddenly you can't classify people.
    Both Gigglys are one person.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    Both Gigglys are one person.
    Your abstract words just went right over my head.

Can someone clarify, please?

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Ok, someone helpfully informed me that it would be good if I included the link to the book the author of the article is talking about, so I edited the OP to include it. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The purpose of the thread was just to give a helpful description of how Asperger females experience things and what they are like, as a summary of and clinical support for what you would find in the book. It's not meant to be some sort of scholarly article on the subject, though it's presumably written by a psychologist.

Glycerine

It's going to be interesting to see how the new DSM is going to change the classification and diagnosis and the overall impact. Within the next few months (set to be out in May), "Asperger's" is going to disappear and be redefined as "high-functioning/mild autism" The diagnoses themselves are all arbitrary but it helps to define what the "problem" is and gives potential guidelines on how to treat it.

Normalcy in the context of diagnosing can be looked at in several ways. What is considered "normal" within society? What is statistically normal? How much distress does it cause? How much impairment does it cause to the overall general functioning?

Or at least that is what was taught in undergrad...