• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Obsessive Bouts of Research…

Scissorhands

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know that every so often I'll find a topic (most recently antisocial personality disorder in the medical field, of all things), and start researching said topic intensely - day and night - for a certain period of time. Usually it lasts about three weeks or so, and by the end of it I'm usually very knowledgable about the topic (although usually it doesn't matter because the topics generally have no real application). Occasionally I'll compile the fruit of my research in a (as described by someone else) "term-paper-like" composition, that's generally 10 pages or so. In any case, I've been wondering if any other NTs have experienced similar phases. Other types are more than welcome to contribute as well, I'd just assumed that if anyone would relate, it'd be NTs.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For sure. It's why I know a whole lot about Jim Jones, punk rock and male genitals.

I've never written formally about my findings though.

However I do sometimes get sucked into obsessive categorization. Often times for music. Everything has to perfectly and exhaustively categorized which just becomes impossible and I have to give up midway through making a massive convoluted list.

But anyways yeah. You don't find your self awake at two in the am listening to Jonestown audio recordings if you not a weeee bit of a compulsive researcher

10blackroses

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, I think that's an NT thing. I have had several of these intense research periods; my fields of expertise include orchids, Joseph Stalin, dog breeds, Sir Thomas More, Greek mythology, the works of Agatha Christie, schizophrenia, and serial killers, just to mention a few. I have some F traits, but I usually see myself as INTP, for what it's worth. Also, I write stories from time to time, which makes me do EXTREME amounts of research. If I want to do something, I want to do it properly (usually I DON'T want to do something, doing something is boring most of the time), so my PowerPoint presentations in Upper Secondary were pretty overwhelmingly informative; my teacher usually had to ask me to stop talking.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My husband does that. It's adorable.

I

Infinite Bubble

Yes, I will oftentimes do this if something captures my interest. With some things, after a while it will stop becoming so much of a present obsession, but will almost become a habit. For instance, when I had obsessed about Jung and MBTI for a length of time, it just became natural to research and think about it on a daily basis. I've stopped now, but it took almost half a year to, haha. I write notes about it if I've had any original thoughts on the subject.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do this a lot. I also have periodical interests that return to become "deeper".
I'm almost constantly in this mode. If I can't find anything interesting to learn, I become restless.

LeoManiacus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My whole life has been that way. Never able to pin down one interest. Jack of all trades, master of some only because I was forced to by outside sources.

LeoManiacus

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do this a lot. I also have periodical interests that return to become "deeper".
I'm almost constantly in this mode. If I can't find anything interesting to learn, I become restless.
That is me absolutely, even as a kid if I didn't bring something to read I'd sit and study the sky and how their is a gradient of blues from the horizon up to the highest point where it then forms a lighter blue halo or study ants on the ground. Even going to the bathroom for number 2, if no book I'd read the back of shampoo bottles or anything else....

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I just can`t help myself when i find something interesting, it takes me in completely, i have hundreds of saved tabs and bookmarks for further research, not to mention entire pages full of combined notes :blush:

Lark

I know that every so often I'll find a topic (most recently antisocial personality disorder in the medical field, of all things), and start researching said topic intensely - day and night - for a certain period of time. Usually it lasts about three weeks or so, and by the end of it I'm usually very knowledgable about the topic (although usually it doesn't matter because the topics generally have no real application). Occasionally I'll compile the fruit of my research in a (as described by someone else) "term-paper-like" composition, that's generally 10 pages or so. In any case, I've been wondering if any other NTs have experienced similar phases. Other types are more than welcome to contribute as well, I'd just assumed that if anyone would relate, it'd be NTs.

OH I SO DO AND IT CAN BE A CURSE!!!

I have a serious problem with what boarders on hoarding, now and again when I have a massive clear out I'll be able to look at and precisely label "phases" or "fads" I've gone through and clear the material from that time, ie martial arts, the seventies, strategy games (both board games and computer games), different schools of thought in psychology, philosophy, anthology, genre fiction, music, even sort of or known topic.

The terrible thing is that in some ways I do this with people too, if someone appears to be way more knowledgeable about a given topic than me I'll befriend them and really want to spend lots and lots of time with them but then when I feel nothing really new is to be gleaned from them I'll lose interest.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I do this but my husband does it even more. Then again, he is more NT than NF in a lot of ways and this is one of them. Because of this, I use him for a lot of my research. Not knowledge, more of comparison shopping and reviews. Who wouldn't want a spread sheet of vacuum comparisons when the old one is a goner? :wubbie:

W

WALMART

Definitely an NT/ST/FP/SJ/EF/IT thing.

(Sorry anyone I missed, got bored)

Nicki

Retired
I do this all the time. Life isn't fun without an obsession to research.

Triforce

MBTI Type
INTJ
On rare occations when things are not as i wish for i get so obsessed with it that i don`t do anything else and cut all other things. Until said thing is done.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Did you watch the Jim Fallon interviews?
I found the Martha Stout book lacking in depth and VERY biased (weak F).

I usually don't compile the knowledge. I keep it in my head.

Last edited:

tanstaafl28

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so

Yup, been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.
;)

CRC

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do this very often as well.