12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default INTJs and planning ahead

I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established in my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Any other INTJs like this? Also, I wonder how others might react to being part of this master plan that someone else has set up.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Yes, other INTJs plan ahead, too. And dogs bark.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I plan ahead...for tomorrow.

It's fascinating to hear about how others do it, and how even the long-range planners face some costs to their way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx

I plan everything ahead maybe I'm a control freak or just a typical INTJ.
    Deal with it

Society

interesting... tell me: do your plans form into a tree of branching out possibilities from where you are now, or are they more like an upside-down tree finding various paths that could lead you to where you want, or linear in nature, or like looking for opportunities to set the cogs of your life-machine into place? something completely different? can someone give me a visual (or perhaps thinking about it visually is my error in understanding)?

it's something i have noticed this between me (persumably ENTP) and my (probably INTJ) father, i retain the habit from him but seem to do it quite differently... and i am not exactly sure in what way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established on my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Any other INTJs like this? Also, I wonder how others might react to being part of this master plan that someone else has set up.
    I think every INTJ is like this to some degree. Of all the things that give me a warm, secure, calm feeling, planning and planning ahead is right at the top of the list. I have developed flexibility over time but it's not my natural way. I never see myself not enjoying the present because of planning. The people around me are part of my master plan but I am not controlling them - just their presence in my plans. They're all aware of this.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    interesting... tell me: do your plans form into a tree of branching out possibilities from where you are now, or are they more like an upside-down tree finding various paths that could lead you to where you want, or linear in nature, or like looking for opportunities to set the cogs of your life-machine into place? something completely different? can someone give me a visual (or perhaps thinking about it visually is my error in understanding)?

it's something i have noticed this between me (persumably ENTP) and my (probably INTJ) father, i retain the habit from him but seem to do it quite differently... and i am not exactly sure in what way.
    No branching - just a small number of goals - with a number of incremental steps, taken with the aid of a sort of divining rod. The upside down tree is a better visual but that's not quite it because I don't think a lot about different options. I tend to gravitate to one incremental choice at a time. There are also a small number of principles that guide the direction and each of those steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yes, other INTJs plan ahead, too. And dogs bark.
    The thing is I think this is vastly different than other people think. I don't know anybody IRL that does this (even the two INTJ school friends that I've kept in touch with don't seem to).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

When my INTJ daughter was 10 years old, her dance teacher told her that in 7 years (if she continued her studies) she could become a dance teacher too, and this appealed to her. She incrementally accomplished every smaller task leading to that accomplishment. She has always been able to focus on that kind of vision - she plans nearly everything in her day to achieve what she wants to accomplish in that day and it gives her great satisfaction to see the day unwind the way she pictured it.

She's 22 now; when she can't see at least a few years ahead, she finds it quite stressful. She's soon to graduate from university and this uncertainty of what comes next is uncomfortable for her - but the strands are gradually coming together in a way that's shaping her near future at least, and this provides her with a sense of security.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I can't think of anything more unsettling in my own personal life, than when my plans have derailed. Whether branching or small incremental steps to get back on track, I did manage to get back to my plans, and now the wiser for possible outcomes, whether in my favor or not. I've learned how to better plan as a result, and refine my abilities to plan over time and circumstance. Multiple backup plans, yet I still retain my focus on my main plans. That's how I've always rolled.

I don't know a lot of INTJ's IRL, but the few that I do know are never typical by any stretch of the imagination.
    MBTi: INTJ

trifix: 8w9, 5w6, 3w2. Primary Type 8; "The Leader." 8w9;"The Bear."

Global 5: sloan RCOEI; sloan+ RcoE|I|; primary Inquisitive; R(80%)C(60%)O(64%)E(70%)I(86%)
    Extroversion |||| 20%
    Orderliness |||||||||||||||| 64%
    Emotional Stability |||||||||||||| 60%
    Accommodation |||||| 30%
    Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||||||| 86%

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established in my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Even though it might take a while and maybe you would see this as a bit of an annoying request...but could I hear about some of these plans?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.