• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Paradox of a young INTP

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is a sense of closure in disappointment that is not unattractive.

You wont find that closure because your mind will long to avoid disappointment, in short you will never truly accept disappointmend as the end result.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
If you mean as an end state, then, true, you won't remain disappointed, but the feeling tends to accompany closed doors, definitive answers. I was thinking of closure in the psychological sense, as a momentary thing from which you can move on, not a definitive state. I'm not one for definitive states.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Possible, but not desirable. As such peace will be more difficult to sustain because our nature longs to avoid disappointment.

Can it be said that Spinoza achieved his goal of intellectually deciphering the essence of his world?
Did he achieve the fullness you presently desire?

It seems as though you and he share some qualities.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can it be said that Spinoza achieved his goal of intellectually deciphering the essence of his world?
Did he achieve the fullness you presently desire?

It seems as though you and he share some qualities.

No he has not. As he has not understood all things. Despite this, he has found the inner calm he sought. Not because he has completed a task, but because he found his peace in the pursuit of truth itself.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think my case here is, my priority is to my inner life. Yet, I am also very high on Ne, which at times lead me to put my inner life on hold to explore new possibilities. I think the Ne tendency is intensified by youth, as Ne is often associated with this live in the moment and make the most of it, larger than life force, just as truly as youthful vigor in most conventional sense of the term.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
IMO, that's just having a healthy balance. Many of the world's best thinkers were (or are) neither healthy nor balanced. Some people seem destined to be set apart in that way and they achieve great things. Then again, there are your Byrons and your Donnes who seemed to live life to the fullest and pursue their inner lives fully as well.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Make friends who are opposite of you and let them help you with this. Don't fight it.

redacted

Yet this attitude stands in sharp contrast with the idea of exploring life and living it to the fullest. As the intellectual path obviously insists on detaching yourself from the external world to analyze it, relating to the world in an almost wholly vicarious fashion, yet going out to experience it is visceral.

you should try to think of all possibilities for action as having happiness values. experiment with exercise, music, poetry, movies, fiction books, etc. and assign approximate happiness values to those activities. go as in depth as possible, use your Ti/Ne to figure out if those activities maybe take on different values depending on frequency and relations to other activities, or whatever. think of it as a strategy game.

then take the happiness value maximizing path.

i would bet that your overall happiness would increase by spending less time detaching -- spending time in the world of values and sensation is necessary for everyone; it's just human nature.

i think you view knowledge as the ultimate goal in your life. but it would make more sense to think of happiness as the ultimate goal, and to weigh the happiness value of the pursuit of knowledge against other possible activities.