User Tag List

First 123

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    There is a sense of closure in disappointment that is not unattractive.
    You wont find that closure because your mind will long to avoid disappointment, in short you will never truly accept disappointmend as the end result.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    nnnn

If you mean as an end state, then, true, you won't remain disappointed, but the feeling tends to accompany closed doors, definitive answers. I was thinking of closure in the psychological sense, as a momentary thing from which you can move on, not a definitive state. I'm not one for definitive states.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Possible, but not desirable. As such peace will be more difficult to sustain because our nature longs to avoid disappointment.
    Can it be said that Spinoza achieved his goal of intellectually deciphering the essence of his world?
    Did he achieve the fullness you presently desire?

It seems as though you and he share some qualities.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Can it be said that Spinoza achieved his goal of intellectually deciphering the essence of his world?
    Did he achieve the fullness you presently desire?

It seems as though you and he share some qualities.
    No he has not. As he has not understood all things. Despite this, he has found the inner calm he sought. Not because he has completed a task, but because he found his peace in the pursuit of truth itself.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I think my case here is, my priority is to my inner life. Yet, I am also very high on Ne, which at times lead me to put my inner life on hold to explore new possibilities. I think the Ne tendency is intensified by youth, as Ne is often associated with this live in the moment and make the most of it, larger than life force, just as truly as youthful vigor in most conventional sense of the term.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

IMO, that's just having a healthy balance. Many of the world's best thinkers were (or are) neither healthy nor balanced. Some people seem destined to be set apart in that way and they achieve great things. Then again, there are your Byrons and your Donnes who seemed to live life to the fullest and pursue their inner lives fully as well.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Make friends who are opposite of you and let them help you with this. Don't fight it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yet this attitude stands in sharp contrast with the idea of exploring life and living it to the fullest. As the intellectual path obviously insists on detaching yourself from the external world to analyze it, relating to the world in an almost wholly vicarious fashion, yet going out to experience it is visceral.
    you should try to think of all possibilities for action as having happiness values. experiment with exercise, music, poetry, movies, fiction books, etc. and assign approximate happiness values to those activities. go as in depth as possible, use your Ti/Ne to figure out if those activities maybe take on different values depending on frequency and relations to other activities, or whatever. think of it as a strategy game.

then take the happiness value maximizing path.

i would bet that your overall happiness would increase by spending less time detaching -- spending time in the world of values and sensation is necessary for everyone; it's just human nature.

i think you view knowledge as the ultimate goal in your life. but it would make more sense to think of happiness as the ultimate goal, and to weigh the happiness value of the pursuit of knowledge against other possible activities.