User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default Do NTs often feel that they have too-high expectations?

I'm just wondering if NTs have this tendency: When something goes wrong/doesn't turn out the way you expected/you feel disappointed, you put it down as your fault for having unrealistic expectations that were too high in the first place.

What are your thoughts on this?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

No. I keep expectations very, very low for most people. Not all but most.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

not really like that but kinda. i tend to build these scenarios in my head, for example if we plan to go to city and hit some part with some beers and such with friends the next day and x y and z is coming there, i usually make some expectations of what will happen based on those criteria(which might be bit idealistic sometimes, but is still based on realistic criteria).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I dont think my expectations are too high, but it seems that most everyone else does. It's not my fault half of humanity is dumber than myself.

Oh wait...I'm also not an NT, as far as I know.
    Last edited by captain curmudgeon; 03-28-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Society

i build my expectations based on my experience & understanding of people rather then comparing my experience with my expectations, so my expectations tend towards realism rather then idealistic aesthetic merits.

alternatively...

edit: i just reread and realized the OP didn't mean people in particular, but things not going my way in general... in which case it is always my fault for not accounting for all the variables and not coming up with a solution, which makes it interesting & meaningful - i need to figure out what goes wrong to be better at having things go my way next time.

No, I don't expect much out of others. Myself, on the other hand... My standards/expectations are not based off of reality so I end up getting disappointed a lot but I don't stay disappointed too long. I just try to look for a solution and make the most of things.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    xxTP

I find one thing very funny.

All the people in this thread are T's, but most misread the OP in an "emotional" sense to think it meant "expectations of others".

To me, the meaning was very obvious, that it could mean events, products etc., not necessarilly people.

Maybe that means something?

Shrugs.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post

All the people in this thread are T's, but most misread the OP in an "emotional" sense to think it meant "expectations of others".

To me, the meaning was very obvious, that it could mean events, products etc., not necessarilly people.

Shrugs.
    And? Does that mean something for you also?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post

Shrugs.
    Maybe. I took it to mean people but I have the same feeling about events, products, whatever it is.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rache View Post
    I'm just wondering if NTs have this tendency: When something goes wrong/doesn't turn out the way you expected/you feel disappointed, you put it down as your fault for having unrealistic expectations that were too high in the first place.

What are your thoughts on this?
    I've occasionally had this problem in the past, but I've learned to expect very little out of things or to try to go into something with as clean a slate as possible. It saves a lot of headaches in the future. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."-Roger Kint, The Usual Suspects
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    ENTJ, LIE-Ni, 9w8-6w5-3w2