User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Maybe. I took it to mean people but I have the same feeling about events, products, whatever it is.
    Eh, my bad. I should be clearer. I think I'm referring more to people and events. Products, not so much.

    Ok, some possible scenarios:

    People: You agree to meet up with a friend for dinner in two weeks. He/she tells you a few days later that it has to be postponed because something at work has come up. You understand because it's work. But it happens again (the friend needs to have dinner at the in-laws) and again (the friend has to buy XXX or do XXX) and again. After a while, you think to yourself, perhaps your expectations were too high in the first place.

    Event: You plan a holiday. You plan how to travel, where to go, what to do. However, you learn when you arrive that the bus service doesn't exist anymore. That restaurant has closed. This activity can only be done in another month. You are disappointed and try really hard to go with the flow, but you can't help but think that perhaps it's easier if you didn't have any expectations in the first place.

    I'm just wondering if this is a type thing and I just need to learn what @Faceless Beauty has said. Or am I actually valid in having certain expectations? It's come to a point when i just think, maybe I should just not expect anything from anyone/anything anymore.

  2. #12
    Transient Faceless Beauty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rache View Post
    I'm just wondering if this is a type thing and I just need to learn what @Faceless Beauty has said. Or am I actually valid in having certain expectations? It's come to a point when i just think, maybe I should just not expect anything from anyone/anything anymore.
    I'm not sure if it is type related or not, but I'm pretty sure that all types have expectations in some shape or form. To say that you won't expect anything is a bit of a stretch, because even when you're going into something without creating an elaborate idea for how things will turn out, you still form some kind of impression of how you'd like things to go. So what I do is find a few different scenarios where I could feel almost equally satisfied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."-Roger Kint, The Usual Suspects
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    ENTJ, LIE-Ni, 9w8-6w5-3w2

  3. #13
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    I remember watching a show on philosophy for modern times. One of the topics was on anger. The narrator/interviewer said that it appeared that anger was the root of expectations but very unrealistic ones. Like expecting your daily commute to be easy, quick, and with sensible drivers when you know good and damn well that it's not going to happen. He wondered why did people get angry when they clearly knew it wasn't going to be any other way.

    It's the kaboom when our wishes collide with reality. And they don't have to unreasonable wishes/expectations. They just have to be present.

  4. #14
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rache View Post
    Eh, my bad. I should be clearer. I think I'm referring more to people and events. Products, not so much.

    Ok, some possible scenarios:

    People: You agree to meet up with a friend for dinner in two weeks. He/she tells you a few days later that it has to be postponed because something at work has come up. You understand because it's work. But it happens again (the friend needs to have dinner at the in-laws) and again (the friend has to buy XXX or do XXX) and again. After a while, you think to yourself, perhaps your expectations were too high in the first place.
    I wouldn't have any expectations of them actually keeping the date. I would tell them to let me know when/if their schedule clears up and drop it.

    Event: You plan a holiday. You plan how to travel, where to go, what to do. However, you learn when you arrive that the bus service doesn't exist anymore. That restaurant has closed. This activity can only be done in another month. You are disappointed and try really hard to go with the flow, but you can't help but think that perhaps it's easier if you didn't have any expectations in the first place.
    I would think that's fairly par for the course. If it all worked out I would be pleasantly suprised but I wouldn't expect it to and/or be disappointed when it didn't.

    I'm just wondering if this is a type thing and I just need to learn what @Faceless Beauty has said. Or am I actually valid in having certain expectations? It's come to a point when i just think, maybe I should just not expect anything from anyone/anything anymore
    I think this is a conclusion people come to but I think the ease of accepting it may have to do with type.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rache View Post
    I'm just wondering if NTs have this tendency: When something goes wrong/doesn't turn out the way you expected/you feel disappointed, you put it down as your fault for having unrealistic expectations that were too high in the first place.

    What are your thoughts on this?
    sounds like Se - Ni balance question. U r not living enough in the moment, u have expectations and they make u unhappy, blah blah. Se - Ni, all of that imo.

    hug?

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    hug?



    I really need to go read up on Se Ni Ne Si.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I wouldn't have any expectations of them actually keeping the date. I would tell them to let me know when/if their schedule clears up and drop it.
    This is interesting to me. That's exactly what some people have told me. My way of looking at it though, is: I care enough to pen the friend into my schedule, and if something else comes up that is not work or unforseen events like sudden illnesses, I would tell the other party that I already have something on. Or carry out my errand on another day. In this way, my friend takes priority. So it is disappointing that it doesn't seem to be the same for others.

    Thus, I question if it's because I have unrealistic expectations (I guess you could also say standards?) of them (or of the relationship?).

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I would think that's fairly par for the course. If it all worked out I would be pleasantly suprised but I wouldn't expect it to and/or be disappointed when it didn't.
    Yeah, but some people seem to get over it faster. I tend to turn it over and over in my mind. Like, maybe I could have done X better.

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I think this is a conclusion people come to but I think the ease of accepting it may have to do with type.
    Yes, that's what I suspect.

  8. #18
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    I tend to have unrealistc expectations of myself and my productivity. Example: during the last few days, I had to correct a ton of tests and lab reports. If I could submit all the grades by Tuesday evening, I would have a truly free day on Wednesday. I don't have to teach on Wednesdays, but usually the day is filled with lesson preparations. As the Easter holiday is approaching, however, this Thursday and Friday is filled with teacher meetings, for which no preparation is needed. So I promised myself a whole day writing and drawing.
    Of course, I was exhausted and could not bring myself to any creative work. So my 'reward' for working that hard on those grades was... a lost day.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  9. #19
    Junior Member Hetha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    28

    Default

    While I set realistic expectations in the first place, my thought is usually (when things fall through or don't work out) to go with plan B,C,or D and not to get discouraged. At that point I can drop plan A without too much disappointment. While my expectations of myself are insanely high, my expectations of others is nearly null.
    MBTi: INTJ

    trifix: 8w9, 5w6, 3w2. Primary Type 8; "The Leader." 8w9;"The Bear."

    Global 5: sloan RCOEI; sloan+ RcoE|I|; primary Inquisitive; R(80%)C(60%)O(64%)E(70%)I(86%)
    Extroversion |||| 20%
    Orderliness |||||||||||||||| 64%
    Emotional Stability |||||||||||||| 60%
    Accommodation |||||| 30%
    Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||||||| 86%

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hetha View Post
    While I set realistic expectations in the first place, my thought is usually (when things fall through or don't work out) to go with plan B,C,or D and not to get discouraged. At that point I can drop plan A without too much disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Beauty View Post
    So what I do is find a few different scenarios where I could feel almost equally satisfied.
    This sounds like a solution - to pre-empt the possible outcomes.
    Mmm, much to think about.

    Thanks you guys for all the replies!

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Do other NFs feel like they observe their feelings more than live them?
    By The Wailing Specter in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 09:28 PM
  2. [NF] NF's: Do you often feel responsible for other people's feelings?
    By True Blue in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM
  3. Too high expectations...
    By Phantonym in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 04:55 AM
  4. [ENFP] ENFPs: ever feel like you have too much love?
    By mas in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO