User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default INTPs and Depression..

How do INTP's deal with depression?
    Do they seem more F-ish to the outside world when depressed?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    This invariably leads to what one may call a Ti overdrive. Intensely focused on their own interests. Often immobilized and focused on their inner life where they think intensely, but have little to think about because they have neglected their perceiving functions.

Feeling is used least frequently at times like these, at least consciously, yet at times it becomes supressed to the point where it manifests in major outpourings and outlashes.

Because Thinking is used very intensely, the INTP is critical of all things that come by him. Most thoughts are accompanied by negative other functions, as they are all supressed by Introverted Thinking. The less comfortable we are with using a function, the more negative our attitude will be towards that faculty. The most negative of all shall be Feeling. The INTP will be misanthropic. Attitude towards the concrete external world will be profoundly negative( negative Si), he will be neglectful of physical activity and sensuality.

Lastly, Extroverted Intuition will be negative as well. The attitude towards all of the external world, and even the loftiest of visions will be depreciatory. The INTP will on spot criticize ideas that have often appealed to them and are greatly stimulating.

Since depression will steer the INTP intensely inward, he shall be caught in the onslaught of Thinking and Introverted Sensation. Since Introverted Sensation is supressed the INTP will be haunted by unconscious impulses of supressed memories that have made a great impact on them (Si, as opposed to Se focuses on memories that have impacted the individual rather than the external environment).

Most of all, the INTP will be haunted by unconscious impulses stemming from Extroverted Feeling which often results in confusion (as well as the aforementioned profoundly negative attitude towards people and the social network) about how to deal with people and awkward, overly complicated and often inappropriate emotional attachments.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The excessive reliance on Thinking will steer the INTP into the 'must be strong and competent at all cost' mentality. Thoughts will likely be very clear and profound, however, because there shall be little access to Extroverted faculties the INTP struggle to express them adequately. For the same reason, most if not almost all of INTP's ideas will be difficult to apply to the external world.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

What BlueWing said.

MBTI
    INXP

Procrastination of life.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENTP

One thing I've read about depressed INTPs is that they turn to excessive sensory pleasures--eating too much, drinking too much, driving too fast, etc. I once lived with a depressed INTP who absolutely fit this profile, and although I can't be sure of what was going on in his head it seems to fit the theory. I think the idea is that sometimes when an INTP is not functioning well, his normal problem solving (dominated by Thinking and Intuition) is not working. Absent his strongest coping mechanisms, he turns to Sensing, but because this isn't his preferred way of dealing with things it's played out in a dysfunctional way.

Another sign of a stressed INTP is the ability to argue any point ad nauseum without ever settling on any one decision. INTPs aren't the most decisive people anyway, and when they are unhappy they can take themselves on endless mental and analytical loops.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by mollyowens View Post
    One thing I've read about depressed INTPs is that they turn to excessive sensory pleasures--eating too much, drinking too much, driving too fast, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyowens View Post
    Another sign of a stressed INTP is the ability to argue any point ad nauseum without ever settling on any one decision. INTPs aren't the most decisive people anyway, and when they are unhappy they can take themselves on endless mental and analytical loops.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have had a few episodes with depression, some of them pretty serious. Depression does not always manifest in major crying spells and breakdowns. A stronger criteria is a complete lack of the good emotions. For example, things that you used to enjoy no longer give pleasure. This is one of the official symptoms of depression.

I would say although I had an occasional outburst (on average maybe once a month, and not usually in public) for the most part I tried very hard to hide these feelings from others.

I think I was even more likely to keep my emotions private than I am normally. I certainly didn't want people around my to know of my private struggle.

I think I leaned heavily on the T part during this period. It seems like when I could focus on something logical or a serious book it helped derail the negative train of thoughts a bit. Actually even repeating the times table could often help pull me toward neutral.

I don't know if I really overindulged in sensing during this time. I did overeat, but this was because sugar and chocolate can provide a temporary mood boost. I don't think I indulged my senses more than normal. Because of the whole not feeling pleasure aspect there wasn't much point.

Ilah

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Procrastination of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    I have had a few episodes with depression, some of them pretty serious. Depression does not always manifest in major crying spells and breakdowns. A stronger criteria is a complete lack of the good emotions. For example, things that you used to enjoy no longer give pleasure. This is one of the official symptoms of depression.

I would say although I had an occasional outburst (on average maybe once a month, and not usually in public) for the most part I tried very hard to hide these feelings from others.

I think I was even more likely to keep my emotions private than I am normally. I certainly didn't want people around my to know of my private struggle.

I think I leaned heavily on the T part during this period. It seems like when I could focus on something logical or a serious book it helped derail the negative train of thoughts a bit. Actually even repeating the times table could often help pull me toward neutral.

I don't know if I really overindulged in sensing during this time. I did overeat, but this was because sugar and chocolate can provide a temporary mood boost. I don't think I indulged my senses more than normal. Because of the whole not feeling pleasure aspect there wasn't much point.

Ilah
    "Procrastination of life" is a very good fit, but I've bolded what applies to how I feel from Ilah's post.

I was actually going to post over the weekend regarding the sudden realization that I am not currently at all depressed. If I get up on a Saturday morning and vacuum, sweep, empty the refrigerator, clean the bathroom and mop, my mental state must be pretty damn good.

And my damned hip and knee quit cramping/twinging/aching. So is that because I'm not depressed, or is the lack of depression because I'm not in pain?

Screw it, I'm going to find an excuse for a walk.

MBTI
    INXP

I think answered more as a result of depression than dealing with it. 'though I'm not absolutely sure what dealing means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    'F-ish,' not me, personally, the opposite. I go completely sterile unless I'm having a little attack of mania. (oxymoron? you know what I mean).

I don't deal with it. I hide and hope it goes away.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post

'F-ish,' not me, personally, the opposite. I go completely sterile unless I'm having a little attack of mania. (oxymoron? you know what I mean).

I don't deal with it. I hide and hope it goes away.
    same here...
    but it never does go away, does it?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas