User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    intp

I go sterile, too . . . until I break down into a heaving pile of tears out of nowhere.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    same here...
    but it never does go away, does it?
    The really bad shit is fleeting. Underachieving INTP is for life.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INFP

I have a question regarding the OP.

Does the following resonate with those whom are undergoing or have had depression?

I tear things apart so much that I've forgotten how to build anymore.

My best friend has been depressed for a little over a year and the aforementioned passage seems to fit his behavior. To me, it seems as if overtime when things become shredded into pieces, you'll eventually have nothing. Yet you'll fortuitously have everything to build with. I guess when there is nothing left to rip apart, things start to formulate into a part of something greater?

cliff notes: Secondary Ne can not keep up with a hyper Ti.

Thoughts?
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

All of the above.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    How do INTP's deal with depression?
    Do they seem more F-ish to the outside world when depressed?
    I generally shut off all my lights, lay in bead and just think. I just play scenarios out in my head in regards to what is bothering me, and I seldom voice what really troubles me to anybody. If anything I think I'm less F when depressed.

And really, the difference between happy me and depressed me is in millimeters.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INTJ

So how does depression affect your sex drive, if you're in a relationship with regular access to sex?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Depression impacts people differently.

I'm thinking it will generally go one of two ways: Either you will totally have no drive whatsoever (no interest) because you're so unmotivated and indifferent and miserable, or you'll act insatiable for awhile trying to get past the numbness and create some sort of sense of excitement for yourself.

I think, though, typically in the end, you'd run out of steam either way and just withdraw and become completely apathetic and detached, no drive.

(after all, INTPs usually get more detached than ever when depressed, and withdrawn... and sex usually is never "free," it always brings relational obligation, and the INTP would shy even more away from that)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTX

Well I'm kind of in between types but when I went into a period of depression it was awful. Nothing is really satisfying. You just sink into your own little world. Its really hard to get out of because of a reluctance to talk with anyone about it. I would also get very spacey and detached like Jennifer said.

I think the worst is that you are constantly thinking about the same subject, whatever it is with no external input. You really just end up going nowhere.

Conclusion: Take more happy pills.
    "Time is a great teacher but unfortunately, it kills all of its pupils."
    - Louis Hector Berlioz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I generally shut off all my lights, lay in bed and just think. I just play scenarios out in my head in regards to what is bothering me, and I seldom voice what really troubles me to anybody. If anything I think I'm less F when depressed.
    And really, the difference between happy me and depressed me is in millimeters.
    All true for me, as well. IRL, only my hubby is intuitive enough to know I'm depressed (and not always). If someone knew, they wouldn't realize to what degree I was depressed.

When I used to be able to do so, I withdrew completely. Now that I cannot (work directly with the public a lot), I notice I have a strange way of dealing with it. Since I know I tend to get abrasive or icy numb when wanting to withdraw but cannot, I overcompensate and go the other way. Rather than get reckless or turn to destructive behavior (either on myself or others), I actually get gregarious...outgoing. Kind of like I fling myself out there just to see what the world does to me. Ironically, people like that me better. Then, I get lost behind the facade. Then, everything seems so fake and repugnant. Then, eventually, after this stage, I get almost desperate for solitude....to be able to withdraw. To go crawl into a cave somewhere and never come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm thinking it will generally go one of two ways: Either you will totally have no drive whatsoever (no interest) because you're so unmotivated and indifferent and miserable, or you'll act insatiable for awhile trying to get past the numbness and create some sort of sense of excitement for yourself.
    I think what I described above is sort of an attempt at the latter way you describe here, Jennifer.

And, then, this, as you also said:
    I think, though, typically in the end, you'd run out of steam either way and just withdraw and become completely apathetic and detached, no drive.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Ti overdrive definitely describes me pretty well when things aren't going so well. I usually devalue my negative emotions and develop some self-hate about allowing myself to be so weak. This disgust with emotion can also lead to being extremely cold to other people and showing little or no facial expression other than a seething yet calm glare. When I am forced to interact with too many people for too long when feeling awful, I simply shut down and stop responding to social stimuli. When it reaches this point, I'm usually restraining monstrous rage, so I could see how this would lead to the fabled INTP explosion if it got even worse.