Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default "Your intelligence is quite attractive..."

...that is what she said to me. She said nothing about me being OCM™ or anything along those lines, which I was a bit offended by, considering that is the aspect of myself I was working on the most (for at least two years, I think), but anyway, the nature of this comment sent to me is very difficult to respond to. How would you respond to similar comments? Would you say "Thanks" or something more?

Uber, you're obsessed with what she said to you, since you're obsessed with your looks. Would you rather she call you a fucking idiot? I think not. She gave you a compliment.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd have mixed feelings. I'd be very flattered that someone thought of me as highly intelligent since its one of the qualities I value the most. But I'd also wonder, if he was just saying that to find something attractive about me because physically I don't quite measure up. I'd also think of it as kind of an odd remark, as intelligence, even high intelligence isn't typically associated with attractiveness.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'd have mixed feelings. I'd be very flattered that someone thought of me as highly intelligent since its one of the qualities I value the most. But I'd also wonder, if he was just saying that to find something attractive about me because physically I don't quite measure up. I'd also think of it as kind of an odd remark, as intelligence, even high intelligence isn't typically associated with attractiveness.
    Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, and if someone were drawn to that particular quality in me, I would consider it a good sign. It is affirming to be valued for something I also value. I have never put much stock in what is "typical".

I would probably respond by asking "why", but then that would probably be my response to any compliment in the given situation.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 03-23-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think it's a compliment. Not sure I get this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Ginkgo

I'd be hooked on that shit like it's phonics.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, the "compliment" made me mostly angry at myself, because it tells me that if she's not complimenting my looks, I have yet to reach PürOCM™, and if she's not complimenting me on something I want to be complimented on, it would be an insult, would it not? I know I'm exceptionally intelligent, and she's merely stating the obvious.

Oh yeah, and how would you respond to it?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Right now you are viewing this in ways that are self-absorbed and undermining your chance at forming relationships.

For this particular case, say "thank you" and ask her what she likes to talk about. It's elementary, my dear Uber: If she values intelligence and she is serious in her comments to you, then I'm sure she has some intelligent thoughts on some topic that you both can discuss together. Get her to start talking.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, and if someone were drawn to that particular quality in me, I would consider it a good sign. It is affirming to be valued for something I also value. I have never lut much stock in what is "typical".

I would probably respond by asking "why", but then that would probably be my response to any compliment in the given situation.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what you're talking about SuchIrony.

When a chick genuinely finds intelligence attractive, that's attractive in and of itself.

I mean, if a chick doesn't count that as one of her most desired qualities in a potential mate, it means she's cool with dating an idiot.

I'd be pretty apathetic towards that compliment. A lot of times, when people don't want to outright call you plain or physically unattractive, they end up complimenting you on your intelligence or personality. But then again, some people genuinely find intelligence very attractive.
    I really like cats and food.