User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Testing people

MBTI
    INTJ

Imma say no. It doesn't ring any bells, neither presently nor looking back to the past. I just want them to leave me alone or obey orders. Testing seems like it would consume time and lack outcome and thus be more frustrating than anything.

/sadly honest
    /5w4 sp
    /forever alone
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Testing is not a genuine 'flow' from within. It's self-imposed and I think people do it out of selfishness or insecurity. Maybe other reasons too I'm not sure but...it's like taking time out or something. The camera doesn't ever stop rolling should be their lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    No. Because I don't need to test people.

Testing gives you information about yourself more than the people you 'test'. And I'd wager it's usually about trust issues.
    Aphrodite knows the questions people are going to ask others before they even ask them .
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Test:

the means by which the presence, quality, or genuineness of anything is determined; a means of trial.
    the trial of the quality of something: to put to the test.
    a particular process or method for trying or assessing.
    a set of questions, problems, or the like, used as a means of evaluating the abilities, aptitudes, skills, or performance of an individual or group; examination.
    Psychology . a set of standardized questions, problems, or tasks designed to elicit responses for use in measuring the traits, capacities, or achievements of an individual.

I just really want to know someone, how they are. I'm pretty open. But you know. Perhaps I do test subconsciously, because I don't really tell people about myself unless they've passed some sort of test.....I guess I let them deeper and deeper when they do? I really do not know.

I guess I don't test them for them, but perhaps I do test them for me. For knowing how much I can get/will get close to them, or let them close to me. Weird.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    A CP Six, on the other hand, (which is what I think you are, if I'm not mistakened) is fighting against the recognition of that anxiety in the first place. Testing is still gonna happen, but it's going to be "unconscious" and rationalized. One strategy that I've experienced personally is for the Six to do their natural on-again, off-again thing and see if the other person sticks around. The Six may naturally run hot and cold, but the fact that that weeds out the unreliable is not a coincidence. Another approach that's possible is to do "boundary testing" behaviors to see if the other person can "handle" them. It's the same game an Eight may play, but differently motivated.

I'm not mentioning these to the exclusion of other testing strategies. I'm making the point with these examples that an average CP Six is gonna test in a way that allows them to avoid the underlying anxiety that's driving the behavior. If you're a better integrated Six, then it's possible that you may manage your anxiety in a way such that you don't engage in such behaviors. @highlander, for instance, is one of the better integrated Sixes in my acquaintance, and you don't get the sense from him that he is doing anything but living his life. Doesn't mean he's never done such things, but that's the sense of where he is now. Same could be true of you.
    I don't consciously test people though it is possible that I have done what you say. I do evaluate. Trustworthiness is very important to me and when trust is broken or more accurately, someone is disloyal, I can have a disproportionate reaction to it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    First of all, I'm defining "testing people" as things people do interpersonally to understand another individual in an active way. The connotation being that the interaction will somehow expose what's beneath the other parties' facade. I define the term as distinct from "games", because I feel those are for the purpose of eliciting a desired emotional response. Someone who tests has no end in mind; they simply seek more knowledge.
    Yes. One of the most important qualities I test for is the ability to put up with me.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

I sure do test people: I give them a portal gun and put them through a labyrinth of puzzles.

I kid I kid. I used to, but I don't test people anymore. People are more or less generic in a lot of ways. You gotta offer them something, or they gotta want something from you to be your friend. Your company has to do something for them, emotionally. Pretty much everyone's like that. Also, everyone has moods, and how they behave will be based in large part on that. When someone likes what they're getting from you, they come around pretty often. If they don't like what they're getting from you, then you won't hear from them.

When it comes to someone's values (i.e. character, integrity) I tend to feel that out over time. I usually have some sense without "testing", and generally speaking, how much someone will do for you is a direct function of how long you've known them, and how many shared experiences you have.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

To some extent, every non stupid person tests people. As social (and also sexual) beings, we need to know where we stand in order to calibrate our actions.

Personally, I'm pretty bad at doing it consciously, so I rarely try, but I can do a pretty good screening with the information that is spontaneously presented.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post

Do you mean to see if he or she is someone you might like to communicate with? Or do you mean that you are testing to see if they authentic? Or something else entirely?
    To be fair i have not done it in a while. There has not been a need either.Not really been active on the forum the last 2ish years.

Online people (mostly here on this forum)
    I tested your stability. How much of a neurotic person you are. etc.

Because i seek stability and someone that would be a good chat. For a long time.

I test your reactions to see where your at. Are you able to respect certain differences in people?

I would enjoy having more friends who are able to get my logic and think freely.

When you meet people face to face you don`t need to test people i feel. I can but i don`t have a strategy developed for it. I think a in general good conversation 1 on 1 or just three people and life experience is more than enough to se what kind of person he/she is.

If you got a brain that is.
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    To be fair i have not done it in a while. There has not been a need either.Not really been active on the forum the last 2ish years.

Online people (mostly here on this forum)
    I tested your stability. How much of a neurotic person you are. etc.

Because i seek stability and someone that would be a good chat. For a long time.

I test your reactions to see where your at. Are you able to respect certain differences in people?

I would enjoy having more friends who are able to get my logic and think freely.

When you meet people face to face you don`t need to test people i feel. I can but i don`t have a strategy developed for it. I think a in general good conversation 1 on 1 or just three people and life experience is more than enough to se what kind of person he/she is.

If you got a brain that is.
    Rex,

Oh, definitely, I test for these same reasons.
    I do it all of the time, every time I communicate with any online person.
    I also do it in real life to a cetain extent.
    I think it's perfectly normal and sane to do that.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes. One of the most important qualities I test for is the ability to put up with me.
    True. Passing this is a real achievement.

I don't test as in - I'm going to do/say XYZ to set a benchmark for Person A. What I do is observe how they act/react in particular situations with particular circumstances. In the future, if this same situation arises, I will look to see if they react the same or differently. If so, why? This is all going on in my head, I rarely share it unless I think that information would be helpful in some way but usually people get somewhere between irritated and straight up pissed. Until I point out that they are probably doing a very similar thing.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.